NHL Offseason News/Views -- Free Agency is Go!

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by Timby, Jul 1, 2009.

1. Islander

Islander Commodore Commodore

Fuck yeah. I'm still in shock that Gainey moved that much for once and that he actually suceeded on top! Both Camalleri and Gionta stated that playing with Gomez was a key sell point so that trade for Higgins, just pure genious.

2. Kirk's_Tights

Kirk's_Tights Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

THANK YOU, HOSSA, FOR GETTING OFF OF MY TEAM.

I was so happy, I danced around my living room. Good riddance, moron.

3. BigFoot

BigFoot Admiral Admiral

^ Hehe, I guess you guys have a chance of winning the cup again, now that Hossa is gone. ;)

In other news, Canucks signed Samuelsson for three years. I think this could definitely work. Now they just need to improve their D.

4. Danny99

Danny99 Vice Admiral Admiral

Thirded.

Heatley should thank his lucky stars he's still in the NHL. His actions led to the death of a team mate which would be vehicular homicide if he wasn't a star.

I like the Leafs pick-ups so far, but we still need a top 6 forward and some forward depth. Also need to clear the logjam on defense.

5. Winterwind

Winterwind Commodore Commodore

That logjam just got bigger. Toronto signed Francois Beauchemin this afternoon. That's 11 on defense now. It's time to move someone. Hopefully we get some scoring.

6. Garak

Garak Cruisin' Premium Member

Kovalev to Ottawa, 2 years.

7. AdmiralGarak

AdmiralGarak Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hossa's starting to leave an impressive trail of pissed off fans in his wake. :lol:

8. Danny99

Problem is who will take someone like a Finger (contract) or a Van Ryn (injury prone).

If you look at the depth chart even minus Kaberle:

Schenn
    Komisarek
    Beauchemin
    White
    Exelby
    Van Ryn
    Finger
    Stralman
    Oreskovic
    Sifers

I wouldn't trade White or Oreskovic as they play their heart out every game.

I don't personally like Stralman, but he is one of the best defensive prospects we have.

Brings me back to my original question: who would take Finger or Van Ryn?

9. Winterwind

Finger's contract is absurd. I think "Trader Cliff" showed signs of senility with that one. Van Ryan does indeed seem to have a glass body so I we're stuck with them too.

And don't forget Frogren. I liked what little I saw of him last season. And he seems to be the kind of player Burke likes so... yeah, we've got a big problem. I'd try to move Kaberle and one of the AHL defensemen in a package for some offense. With the big name D already off the market, Kaberle should have some value. At the same time, with every GM knowing the Leafs have too many on the backend...

10. Canadave

Canadave Vice Admiral Admiral

Gustavson signs with the Maple Leafs! :techman: :techman: :techman:

I can't recall the last time I was anywhere near this excited about the moves the Buds have been making in the off-season. Now Burke just needs to shop Kaberle around to try and get some new offensive talent. With "The Monster" signed, he might even be able to sweeten the pot with Pogge... someone out there must still believe he has potential. Either way, it's a great time to be a Leafs fan!

11. Winterwind

We have had so little to get excited about lately. With goal and defense taken care of, one week into the FA season, I'm quite interested in seeing what Burke does about offense between now and the season.

I certainly don't expect a one year miracle turn around but with the right pieces in place up front we could be competitive next year. At least our big bad D should entertain, crunching those tiny little Habs forwards. :D

12. Canadave

Habs forwards? I don't see any Habs for- ohhhh! You mean the little crumpled heaps on our blueline? :D

And yeah, I don't expect to make the finals next year, but I think, finally, the playoffs may be within reach once again. Plus, Burke seems to be doing a very good job of laying the groundwork for Cup number 14 within the next few years. We can only hope...

13. Garak

There is speculation out there that old Cliff actually signed the wrong defenseman:

Hilarious Link

Just another chapter in the book of Maple Leafs Mismanagement.

It will be quite satisfying too see you guys miss the playoffs yet again. :)

I had no idea you guys were that hard up. :guffaw:

14. Canadave

^ Burke seems to have a plan, and he seems to be attracting talent. That's a hell of a lot more than I can say for anyone else involved in the team's management over the past few years.

And incidentally, I'm also a Canucks fan. :p

15. the 4th hanson bro

the 4th hanson bro No one can resist my Schweddy Balls Admiral

Joe Sakic is reported to announce his retirement tomorrow. 20 years with the same franchise and the active points leader in the NHL. Did anyone have a sweeter wrist shot?

Thanks for the memories Joe, I'll miss you.

16. Garak

Joe Sakic and Yzerman are my two favorite players to play the game. Sakic's actually a hometown boy, good old Burnaby Joe.

I had a the pleasure of seeing him quite a bit live, the guy was just a Canucks killer - it was so bittersweet. He was one of the more clutch guys ever to play the game too, always seemed to score when his team needed it most, or feather that beautiful pass so the recipient would have a wide open net to shoot at.

And then of course there's the memory of Joe captaining Canada to gold in 2002 at Salt Lake. He killed it in that final game against the US, just a stunning performance.

One of the best players ever to play the game, and just a class act all around, I'll miss watching Joe Sakic play.

17. Rob Hal

Rob Hal Vice Admiral Admiral

Not sure if you meant this literally, but Mario Lemieux was the team captain for Canada in Salt Lake. Joe Sakic and Steve Yzerman were the alternates. Even so, Joe Sakic certainly lead that team with his on-ice play, as you pointed out.

One thing I would like to point out to those questioning the length of contracts that some players are getting, such as Hossa's contract. These contracts tend to be front-loaded, with every expectation that the player will retire during the later years of the contract when his salary is much smaller. Teams take smaller annual hits to their salary cap when they construct contracts in this fashion.

Finally... just learned that Koivu has been signed by the Anaheim Ducks. Great pickup for them... a solid second-line centreman behind Getzlaf. Should play great with Selanne.

18. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Claude Lemieux retires again. He was somewhat useful for the Sharks, and I kind of wish Mclellan played him more in the postseason. I thought that was why the Sharks took the risk to sign him so throughout the series I was confused why he wasn't getting ice time.

19. Danny99

I'm so disappointed in Bob Gainey.

After Koivu's years of service to the Habs, through the thick and thin, he doesn't even offer him a contract. And since the team has done nothing but get smaller, so it's not a size issue.

20. Garak

*smacks head* You're right. Sakic captained the 2006 team that we shall never speak of. :lol: