NHL 2010/2011 season....

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by Warped9, Sep 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gil T.Azell

Gil T.Azell Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well I`m disappointed with the out come, I`m more ashamed of those `so called fans` rioting in Vancouver, makes me ashamed to be from BC.

the best part of the presentation was the Bettman sucks`` chant though.

2. Dorian Thompson

Dorian Thompson Admiral Admiral

There's unconfirmed reports on CTV of stabbings and a fatality. I PRAY that's false.

3. Thestral

Thestral Vice Admiral Admiral

Somebody in my Facebook feed's posting about a death now... a Vancouverite from this site I believe, though hell if I know her screenname.

No excuse for rioting like that though. And property damage is one thing - I joked about the Philly fans when I went to college in the area - but a possible fatality? :eek:

4. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

God I pray that these reports of fatalities are false. :(

I'm just really perplexed by this whole thing. Maybe I don't live and bleed hockey as much as these "assholes" (And let's be clear, they are not fans and I will not treat them as such) but at the end of the day, it's just a hockey game or any sporting event. How did this happen, and why did it happen.

I think the other thing that worries me about this (And the first thing is of course the safety of the smart Vancouver fans and the city itself) is how much of a stain will this have on the league. I mean while it was a disappointing finish, it was still a very good series, and I was actually trying to get people who might not have watched Hockey to give this game a try. Maybe I'm just cynical, but I see the Mainstream media really getting on this and saying "See, this is why we don't cover the sport. This produces idiots who riot over a game and we can't have that". Of course it's hypocritical, but when was the last time the mainstream media wasn't hypocritical. I just hope we keep separate the actual fans of the NHL and Hockey and these playoffs and the idiots/morons/assholes who perpetuated this.

What stupidity. :rolleyes:

5. Roger Wilco

Roger Wilco Admiral Admiral

What the fuck is this Stanley Cup MVP trophy supposed to be? Most ridiculous thing I've ever seen. :lol:

6. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

7. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

You expect a LITTLE of the retarded drunks getting out of hand, wrecking stuff while 'celebrating' from the winning city, pretty out of hand from the losing one. And a FATALITY? Come on...

8. Steven

Steven Admiral Admiral

Winnipeg Free Press article
    All of those people mentioned in the above snippets are scum. Especially the ones in the last quote. :mad:

9. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Assholes...

10. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

Yeah, that's not so good. Few people doing stupid things, and opportunistic people just being theiving assholes and trying to take advantage of that, figuring that they could get away with it in the chaos...

Boston seems to have been a lot more subdued, which is better than feared.

11. Steven

Steven Admiral Admiral

To contrast those... people... from my previous post, here's parts of an article from The Globe and Mail.

These people are fantastic example of what we should aspire to and deserve to be treated like heroes.

12. SmoothieX

SmoothieX Vice Admiral Admiral

That'll be a 2 minute penalty against Vancouver for car flipping.

13. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

Should be at least a 10-minute Misconduct penalty, no? ;)

14. tomalak301

I was listening to the JT The Brick Show last night and they had a caller who pretty much said the city was on Lockdown for the game last night. Bars closed at the end of the second period, they blacked out windows, stuff like that and it seemed like they were prepared for it a lot better than Vancouver was. Good for them for having contingency plans but I have to wonder why Vancouver wasn't better prepared for this, after it even happened in 1994. I'm not ready to place blame on anyone other than the idiots who did this, but I am thinking about it.

15. SmoothieX

SmoothieX Vice Admiral Admiral

The Boston PD had their act together this time around. Good for them. Beats shooting someone in the eye with teargas or whatever they did when the Red Sox won.

I hate terrestrial radio. Nothing like like Hacksaw and Corn Dog in the morning and the worst mix of the 80s, 90s, and today from the top, top, top of the Empire State Bldg.

16. tomalak301

^That's nice. I'm not a fan of terrestrial radio either for the most part, but that's what I heard and I thought it would add something to the conversation.

17. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

Didn't hear anything about bars closing, although knew there was a prepared police presence, and they tried to discourage large groups gathering around (opposite of the shots of Vancouver they showed, where the streets were mobbed before and during the game).

Same reason they told us they weren't going to show the game at the Garden: didn't want a giant crowd suddenly all on the street at the same time/place. A person is smart, but PEOPLE are dumb, and the intelligence level is usually about the inverse of the crowd size...

One reason it went so well: Boston (and the police department) has thankfully had a lot of experience with dealing with this sort of situation over the past 10 years or so :D

18. tomalak301

Is that really something to be proud of. ;)

19. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

Winning so many championships in such a short time that the city and police force handles everything in stride, and without major incidents and bush-league rioting and looting?

Yeah, I'd say so :)

20. tomalak301

Ok, I read your original post entirely wrong then. I interpreted it as Boston has seen it's fair share of rioting (Which reading the news this morning has been the case unfortunately) and it was that experience you were talking about. Glad it was something else.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.