NFL 2023: A different shade of green for Aaron Rodgers

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by BlueStuff, Mar 18, 2023.

1. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

2. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

3. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

4. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

Apparently the 49ers players didn’t know the playoff OT rules or even discuss OT strategy, and that’s why they chose to receive first.

Ar-Pharazon likes this.
  5. 137th Gebirg

In fairness, these were apparently new rules, but yeah, they should have prepped for that contingency.

6. Aragorn

Actually, the rules are two years old.

Also, did you know that Blaine Gabbert has two more Super Bowl rings than Dan Marino?

7. 137th Gebirg

Are Superbowl overtime rules different from regulation game rules? The way they were described didn't seem familiar.

8. Aragorn

The biggest difference (besides a game not being able to end in a tie, obviously) is that in the regular season, if the first team with the ball scores a TD, it's over. In the playoffs, the other team still gets a shot after a TD.

9. 137th Gebirg

Ah. Got it. Thank you...

10. Finn

Finn Bad Batch of TrekBBS Admiral

So....two times :shrug:

11. Aragorn

Steelers couldn't wait to release Mitch Trubisky, so the day after the Super Bowl he's gone. I wonder if he's done because he'll probably want significantly more than teams are willing to pay, assuming they want a backup QB who has no shot of being productive if put into a game. But then again, Rick Mirer kept getting signed being just that.

Also, the new Cowboys DC is Mike Zimmer.

12. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I guess as one of the few 49ers fans on this forum, I should post more about it, considering I've had a day to digest it.

This Super Bowl made me feel really numb. Maybe I just don't want to allow sporting events to hurt me that much, as they are just sporting events, but it was a game full of missed opportunities and what ifs. Still, 24 hours from viewing it, the positive I took was that Brock Purdy went toe to toe with what many consider the best QB in the NFL right now and didn't embarrass himself. It was other parts of the team that let him down, and I am starting to wonder if the 49ers should move on from Shanahan. Yeah he's taken us to Super Bowls and Championship games, but when you can't get over the hump and you are constantly the bridesmaid, well, it's probably how these disappointments are piling up that concerns me the most.

In terms of the 49ers not knowing the OT rules, that's disheartening to hear, but I really wish they did a better job explaining the rules yesterday. There was a small detail in there where I didn't understand and I kept wondering what happens at the end of the first OT Quarter. Well, the Ref said that it is a brand new game, and I had a hard time putting the two and two together and understanding what that means.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2024
  13. DarrenTR1970

DarrenTR1970 Commodore Commodore

I heard on local sports radio this morning that Grubb went to Alabama with DeBoer and, either didn't like the culture, or, didn't like the recruiting class, so he hightailed it back to Seattle, leaving DeBoer in the lurch.

14. Spider

Spider Dirty Old Man Premium Member

I don't mind the KC Chiefs, it's the KC Swifties I can't stand. :lol:

137th Gebirg likes this.
  15. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

Purdy did pretty well. Your special teams really let you down.

And I think they should have run the ball more in second half. You have the best RB in football.

Scout101 likes this.
  16. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Moody made kicks though. That Extra Point was not good, but I think that was his only miss. The muffed punt and CMC fumbling at the beginning of the game did hurt though. 49ers should have ended that 1st quarter up 14 or more. Defense was playing its best game of the postseason.

17. BlueStuff

BlueStuff Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't know, CMC was under 4.0 ypc - Chiefs defense started to clamp down on the run game.

As for Shanahan, he made some questionable calls - much like any coach will have throughout a given game. I don't think he particularly mismanaged it outside of ending the first half. All they can do is try again and hope they won't run into Mahomes a third time.

Thestral and BillJ like this.
  18. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I was cheering on the Niners, and was disappointed by their defense and ability to stop the Chiefs and their different attacks. It seemed like Kelce was under covered, and the later half of the game the Niners defense struggled greatly.

And, yes, I would have liked if the new rules were better known. Apparently people felt it was a given that no overtime would happen.

BillJ likes this.
  19. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

The Super Bowl was the most-watched telecast in history.

Naturally, in the wake of that success, Paramount has announced the layoffs of 800 employees.

Thestral and BillJ like this.
  20. BlueStuff

BlueStuff Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It ALWAYS seems like that. Kelce consistently finds ways to get open even when the defense is completely keyed in on him.

BillJ likes this.