NFL 2012 - Drive to Glory

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by SmoothieX, Jul 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SmoothieX

SmoothieX Vice Admiral Admiral

They didn't do Sanchez any favors by bringing in a major distraction as a backup and not putting any top flight receivers around him.

It's clear they want nothing to do with Tebow. Start McElroy and see what he's got. It's basically a lost year at this point.

2. tighr

tighr Commodore Commodore

Unfortunately, it's not really "clear". The last few times they could possibly have pulled Sanchez, Tebow was injured with cracked ribs. He wasn't even on the active roster this past Saturday. The only reason Sanchez wasn't pulled on Thanksgiving was that the Jets (stupidly) didn't even have McElroy active when they knew Tebow was injured.

About the only thing that is clear is that the Jets are incompetent. I predicted at the beginning of the season that Tebow would be starting by week 6, at the latest after their bye. Well, that didn't happen (they were 3-3 at the time) and the Jets went on to lose all of those games.

3. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Can Jim Harbaugh/Greg Roman please take the cuffs off the offense and let them free? This is kind of the same question I asked last year with Alex Smith. Let him actually use the weapons he has. I'm watching that game yesterday and wonder why wasn't Davis or Walker (Who has been really reliable for Kaepernick) or even Moss getting the ball more. Why are they going for stupid trick plays 15 yards from their own goal line? For the first time since he got here, I'm questioning Harbaugh's decision making (or Roman's, but let's go both). He decided to start this guy because of his speed and arm, and he's throwing back passes to someone who is unreliable catching balls, at least when he's returning punts.

I don't blame Kaepernick for this game, but man the Bay Area is once again going to go Apeshit asking the question on who should start. I actually think this whole thing is becoming too big of a distraction and will affect the 49ers going forward and that sucks. This game was a clusterfuck on all levels, and I for one am glad they don't play the Rams again. Of course that begs the question. They beat the Bears and Saints quite handedly (Even though a lot on the Saints win was because of the defense), why the hell did they tie and lose to the freaking Rams. Stupid team trying to play down to the level of their opponent.

I hope this team does make it to the Super Bowl, but right now, they are only a Divisional playoff team. You need at least 3 wins in the playoffs and I don't see the 49ers doing that at this point.

4. Caligula

Caligula Vice Admiral Admiral

Greatest moment in college football history.:guffaw:

5. tighr

I just realized that with the Broncos winning the AFC West, Peyton Manning has now been a division champion 9 times in his 14 (playing) seasons, and been to the postseason 12 times. The only years he didn't go to the postseason were 1998, 2001, and 2011.

6. chrisspringob

chrisspringob Commodore Commodore

Yep, and since he was out of action in 2011, that gives him 10 consecutive playing seasons in which he made it to the playoffs.

Brady (who missed 2008) is just behind him with 9.

7. SmoothieX

I don't count the 6 or 7 minutes he played that year either.

I was fired up for 2008 after SB XLII and in the course of a few plays, the season was done.

My new superstition - never put together a futon during a Pats game. No correlation I'm sure, just happened to be what I was doing at the time.

Oh, and fuck you Bernard Pollard. Brady, Welker, Gronk - why are you always nearby when a key Patriot gets hurt.

8. Use of Time

Use of Time Commodore Commodore

You knew the season was done? Good gracious they were 11-5 that year. I don't think many people are going to share your misery for the Patriots in the Bellichek era.

9. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Smoothie is just a very dramatic person. I figured the season was probably done when Brady went down, too, but 2008 turned out to be a pleasant surprise. I really didn't expect the team to go 11-5 without Brady. It's crazy that they managed that record but still missed out on the playoffs.

10. Use of Time

Use of Time Commodore Commodore

Yeah, that was kind of a freak year as far as the way the rest of the AFC shaped up. 11-5 gets you into the post season 9 times out of 10.

11. SmoothieX

Ummm...they didn't make the playoffs or win the division.

I went to both the Rams game and the Cardinals game that season, and kinda have an interest in Matt Cassel doing well.

12. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Obviously. That they almost managed to do both even without Brady still made it a worthwhile season. When Brady went down I was expecting their record to be 5-11, not 11-5.

13. archeryguy1701

archeryguy1701 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Rex Ryan announced this morning that Sanchez would be his starter this weekend. And the running parody of an NFL team called the Jets continues.

14. SmoothieX

I wonder how short the leash on Sanchez will be?

I heard a theory on ESPN Radio this morning that it's in Rex's best interest to stick with Sanchez. If they stink, at the end of the year he can tell mgmt it's because he had no QB. If he starts rotating Tebow or McElroy and they still stink, mgmt can point the finger at him for not being able to win with anyone.

15. tighr

He'll still have the ace up his sleeve that mgmt failed to acquire any wide receivers for his pedestrian quarterbacks to throw to.

16. Pegaritaville

Pegaritaville Vice Admiral Admiral

Makes me want to pick up Jacksonville's defense in fantasy football.

17. SmoothieX

^How many points do you earn for a buttfumble?

18. Sigokat

Sigokat Commander Red Shirt

I heard this morning that Urlacher is out for 2-4 weeks with a hamstring injury. My poor Bears seem to have this problem as of late...a key player gets hurt and the rest of the team goes downhill.

I'm hopeful the Bears do make the playoffs, but I'm not holding my breath for them to go very far once they get there. Sigh

19. Roger Wilco

Roger Wilco Admiral Admiral

^^
    I have no data to back this up, but my instinct is that once you're in the playoffs it's pretty much a crapshoot. I mean if you're in the Wild Card Round it's three wins to the Super Bowl, if you have a first round bye it's two wins. Anything's possible in three games, especially at this level of competition.

20. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

Right now the belief is that Tannenbaum will be out, while Ryan will get another season. Tannenbaum was an amazing manager of the salary cap for the team, but it's been clear that he's completely in over his head since the day he took over the team. In any event, Woody Johnson likes Rex a whole lot more than he does Tannenbaum.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.