New version of The Twilight Zone to be on CBS All Access

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Shaka Zulu, May 27, 2018.

1. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

I had the same reaction to the 1985 and 2002 revivals. Neither was as good as the 1959 series, but the difference for me was that while the 1985 series was also good, the 2002 series just wasn't.

I'll try out this new one (provided it gets a DVD release) and if I like what I see, I'll stick with it. If I don't, I won't.

2. Awesome Possum

Awesome Possum Verified Disney Princess Moderator

3. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

Niiiice.

Love the classic doorway. :D

4. Cyrus

Cyrus Vice Admiral Admiral

They probably remake that Shatner seeing a monster on the wing of the plane episode, as they did in the TZ movie.

5. Awesome Possum

I think they are, Adam Scott is going to be in it. It would be interesting to see how that one went now that air travel is radically different.

6. Serveaux

Serveaux The Wind Premium Member

Sure, why not? CBS programming is aimed pretty squarely at people who want to see what they used to watch a couple of decades ago on television, and All Access sticks to that strategy.

7. Brennyren

Brennyren Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I have to say, this might actually tempt me to subscribe. I love the original TZ, and while I wasn't as fanatical about the reboots (I remember a few good episodes of each), I would be willing to give another one a chance. A cautious chance, though -- I'm going to hold off a bit and see what the reviews look like.

8. Dar70

Dar70 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Meh....not paying for content we used to get on network television. I got rid of cable for a reason. Not about to start wasting money on pay per services just for new star star or twilight zone. I will wait for free rentals at the library....

Serveaux likes this.
  9. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

"Nightmare at 20,000 Feet" by Richard Matheson, based on his short story of the same name.

Shaka Zulu and gblews like this.
  10. Awesome Possum

Peele is a talented writer and has proven he can use genre to both terrify and as a powerful social and moral message in Get Out and his upcoming Us is already deeply unsettling from the trailers. If anyone can pull it off, it’s him. We’re also living in a time where a new Twilight Zone would have plenty to comment on and Peele would be willing to do so without pulling punches.

Shaka Zulu and The Nth Doctor like this.
  11. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

That's exactly why I'm excited about this new take on the series. The original was always about social commentary within the sci-fi trappings.

Shaka Zulu and Awesome Possum like this.
  12. gblews

gblews Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Aw, this is great!

Shaka Zulu and Awesome Possum like this.
  13. Serveaux

Serveaux The Wind Premium Member

What it is, is nostalgic. Use of imagery associated with the original, and Peele mimicking Serling.

Shaka Zulu likes this.
  14. DrCorby

DrCorby Captain Captain

I'm hoping they'll adapt some short works by noted SF/F authors. I remember seeing Danny Kaye in an adaptation of Harlan Ellison's "Paladin of the Lost Hour" in the '85 series (I think). The original TZ produced stories by Bradbury and Borges, among others . There are very few outlets for short stories these days, so I hope they'll mix in a few newer stories from current writers in amongst original scripts.

15. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

I think that's a great idea. Hopefully Peale will do that, if not in the first season, then in the second.

Shaka Zulu likes this.
  16. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

They are, but they're calling it "Nightmare at 30,000 Feet." Not my favorite bit of news about the show, but I don't expect it to be perfect, just very good. :rommie:

The Nth Doctor likes this.
  17. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

That teaser was pretty good, the tone and style of it were exactly what I would want from Twilight Zone.

18. DarthPipes

DarthPipes Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I got a chance to watch the entire 1985 series about two years ago and I was surprised with how much I enjoyed it. Not as good as the original series of course but not as bad as the general perception of it seems to be. There were a number of standout episodes though the show definitely declined when it went to syndication and moved production to Canada. The 2002 series had a few good episodes but just wasn't that good.

I still need to see Get Out myself but I've heard good things about it and Jordan Peele so my expectations are good for this version of The Twilight Zone. If I had to pick anyone to have done a new Twilight Zone though, it would have been JJ Abrams. I've soured on him a lot over the past few years but he's a big fan of the show and his take on it for that episode he wrote on Felicity (the only episode of that show that I ever saw) was spot on perfect. He captured the entire tone of the show, from the writing, to the look, to the way it was filmed...even the looks on the actors faces.

19. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

"Not I," said the guy whose seen one too many TZ reboot.

20. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

You can never have too many TZ reboots.

Hell, even the 2002 version had its moments.