New to Who

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Janeway’s Girl, May 23, 2015.

1. Iamnotspock

Iamnotspock Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Well, there's always the first 26 years of it...

2. Ithekro

Ithekro Vice Admiral Admiral

700 or so episodes to go.

3. Janeway’s Girl

Janeway’s Girl Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Ha! I see what you did there! One of these days I'll watch some more of the classic stuff.

I wish I could forget everything and relive it all over again:( But this is how I always feel when I end/catch up with a show I've become obsessed with.

4. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Commodore Commodore

Been there.

When I was younger, I had a racecar bed. :D It happened to have a shelf behind the mattress, and I'd lay out a line of the Star Wars books I had at the time, to read through in timeline order.

It's a funny feeling to plow through a series of anything and realize you're either reaching the end or already there. Nothing earthshattering, but still an interesting feeling. :bolian:

5. Janeway’s Girl

Yeah I know. It's almost like a high, without the drugs. The excitement, the feeling of awe, the moment where you sit back think where the hell has this been all my life!?

Then you finish and there's a small depression. You can always watch/read it again and feel those same feelings but no longer through new eyes.

But now I'm starting on the novels so that's something:)

6. intrinsical

intrinsical Commodore Commodore

I agree with the recommendations for Sarah Jane Adventures and Deep Space 9. I'll also recommend one of my all-time favorite time travel dramedy show, Being Erica. These are shows I believe you will like.

As for Torchwood, you only need to see season 3's Children of Earth. The rest isn't really that interesting.

7. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Being Erica is a Canadian Show.

There is NO EXCUSE for Janeways Girl to ignore local programming, when her viewership might contribute determinative factors towards ratings, and therefore renewal or cancellation.

Is Janeway's Girl personally responsible for the cancellation of Being Erica?

" _____ "

You have made a lot of enemies today JG, I hope you can live with yourself.

8. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

There are some episodes in Season 2 of Torchwood well worth watching.
    Even Season 1 has a couple.

9. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

The same can not be said about the bloated S4 of Torchwood - Miracle Day.

10. Janeway’s Girl

I haven't seen Being Erica. Torchwood and SJA aren't available on Netflix, and I don't feel like watching either through a different source because a lot of times the links don't work. I've had that happen before so I'd rather not deal with it.

I have high hopes for series 9, considering what I thought of 8. I'm curious. What did you all think of it?

11. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

I've seen some of Being Erica mostly S1 and S2. It's entertaining enough.

12. Guy Gardener

Torchwood season 2 = James Marsters as the big bad, who happens to also be Captain Jack's exboyfriend from the future.

There's more punchy punchy, than kissy kissy, but it's still enough action to keep ones engine turning over.

13. Janeway’s Girl

Yeah I read that and then looked up the clip on YouTube. Very punchy-punchy! Also, I know that James Marsters' natural hair colour is brown but it looked really weird.

But my question was what did you all think of series 8 of Doctor Who?

14. Guy Gardener

I thought season 8 was random and disconnected. The attempt to bind it together with Missy was clumsy and cursory. The second she appeared, the internet said "it's the Master" and the producers responded with lies. They lied for almost a year that Missy was almost certainly someone else, and that they are really clever and we are fools to think that they would ever try to use such a silly idea.

Then there was the leak debacle.

Black and white, voids in place where 1/2 the special effects hadn't been cgied in yet, subtitles, and a gig and half in size.

AND THEN! Some of the REAL episodes were cut differently from the leaked episodes, so ####ity, ####, ####, I can't trust my memories any more to know who lived or died because I'm not sure which cut is dominating my brain.

ARRRRGH!

I did enjoy despising Danny though. :)

15. Janeway’s Girl

I actually cheered when Danny died. I feel like such a bad person for saying that but he was the main cause of conflict between the Doctor and Clara. Now that he's dead they can get their friendship back on track:)

At that point I didn't really know anything about the Master but as soon as Missy announced her name it was like child's play at connecting the dots. I felt like her build up was really meh. She was featured in two episodes early on and then showed up in the finale, by then I had forgotten all about her.

It did take me a while to warm up to Twelve but I eventually did and I think Peter Capaldi is doing a great job. But the writing... Eeck! What happened!? Did Steven Moffat hire new writers or something? Even the few episodes I liked (Mummy and Flatline) were mediocre. You're right about it being disconnected. It just felt off somehow.

16. Guy Gardener

There were no two parters.

They're slightly harder to make and require more trust in the audience not to be morons.

And now for something completely different...

[yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ubXYtJ0zaA[/yt]

17. Janeway’s Girl

Um... What was that?

18. Volpone

Volpone Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

HA! "Red Dwarf"! I've seen far less episodes of that than I'd like.

19. Ithekro

Ithekro Vice Admiral Admiral

When Missy first appeared, I'd not really been paying attention to the spoilers, so I didn't know what was going on, or who was cast for what. But on seeing her the first time, the alarms went off. I didn't think Master at first, though it was one of the options. My first thought was "Warning, Warning, River Song has escaped the Library and gone a little bonkers".

20. NightJim

NightJim Captain Captain

I actually really enjoyed it as a season. Capaldi was immense, and mostly it was one of the more packed series. The execution of the season long arc of Missy and the "Better Place" or whatever it was called was a little murky, though once they get Missy in properly Michelle Gomez was awesome.

I'm a little worried about the next incarnation of the Master though. How do you go from this incarnation to something more like Ainley or Delgado? Though Regeneration will take care of some of it.