New Star Wars animated show "Rebels" coming fall 2014

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Booji, May 20, 2013.

1. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

I like how James Luceno did some continuity spackle there: Chewie's hometown is "on the other side of the escarpment".

2. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I really enjoyed the new trailer.
    I especially got a kick out of the appearance by the original McQuarrie C3P0 design.
    I was also a little surprised by the reveal that Luminara Unduli is still alive. I would have assumed all of the higher ranking Jedi Master would be killed on sight. I wonder if she'll play a role in the series past the first episode?
    As for the stuff looking different in the show than in the OT, I had just assumed it was the art style, not necessarily an in universe thing.

3. ALF

ALF Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Maybe Luminara will features as a regular villain? I was very surprised to see her...

4. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    Especially considering her Padawan Barriss Offee went "rogue" towards the end of The Clone Wars and seemed like a more likely candidate to "turn." That said, it'll be great to see callbacks to the previous series and other chapters of the Lucas universe in the new show.

5. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Very intriguing development. I really enjoyed Luminara Unduli and Barriss Offee in the micro-series, and I was glad to see those characters carry over to TCW. Maybe Offee will make a return, too.

6. cooleddie74

Filoni and the writers left Offee's ultimate fate a mystery when the previous series ended so anything's possible. I wouldn't mind seeing her again.

7. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Hold on... Did we actually see Luminara in the trailer, or just hear her name? If we didn't see her, it's possible the reports of her survival are erroneous, maybe even a trap.

8. Brefugee

Brefugee No longer living the Irish dream. Premium Member

Yes!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 26, 2014
  9. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Oooooooh. Interesting! I actually just watched the closing episodes of Clone Wars for the first second time a few days ago! She doesn't look 15 years older...

10. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Had no idea the character had such a fanbase. Except for that Plo-Koon guy, most of the Jedi on TCW always seemed pretty anonymous and interchangeable to me.

11. Christopher

Looking at that screencap, I just realized that apparently the Empire did one good thing for the galaxy: They finally figured out how to transmit holograms in color. Although apparently they forgot how by TESB. Looks like they've still got the scan-line problem, though.

12. Brefugee

Not a problem, No need to say thanks, or cheers for doing that, didn't take to long to sort out and of course, answering your question is reward in itself.

13. cooleddie74

That he did. Well done. :lol: The quality of the holograms used by the greatest power in the galaxy - whether the Old Republic or the Galactic Empire - always bugged me. They can spread civilization or mechanized tyranny across known space, travel faster than light and create something like the Death Star, but when it comes to holograms they're still operating on 1999 Internet dial-up.

14. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Well this looks more like spy or surveillance footage than the usual communication hologram, so maybe that explains why it looks a bit different (and in color).

15. Christopher

Right. I could live with it if it were only for interstellar holograms, some kind of fundamental bandwidth limit or unavoidable hyperspatial interference, but they use it for every hologram, even orbit-to-surface as in TESB or just a computer projection coming from the very same room. The problem is that the style of R2D2's original "Help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi" hologram was adopted as the universal standard for every hologram projector ever, rather than just being particular to whatever low-res projector R2 was equipped with or the result of the haste with which Leia made the recording.

16. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

Obviously the real world explanation for the holograms is that it's a stylistic choice derived from what 70's effects technology could achieve.

In-universe...well we *have* seen high-res holograms used for disguises and the like, so maybe that right there is the reason. Since true-to-life holos can essentially be weaponised, perhaps they've simply been outlawed, or at least tightly controlled for thousands of years. After which it's become just a convention of technology, so ubiquitous that nobody even questions it. "High quality holograms for communications? Why would you want that, it'd look weird and creepy?!"

Hardly a perfect explanation, but there it is regardless.

17. Brefugee

Not a problem, but as he can't even say thank you, I've decided to pick my ball up and go home and thus removed the link of the screen cap I actually created to answer his question which rewatching the trailer would have easily answered. :rolleyes:

18. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

:guffaw:

19. ALF

I'm guessing that to the emerging Rebel faction, former Jedi would be in high demand as a force against the Empire, or force-wielding is illegal, or both.
    I find it interesting that interspersed with the clip of Luminara they are talking about some opportunity being "too good to pass up" or something to that effect.
    I wonder if it's supplies and provisions that they are referring to - or just the idea that the chance to free a Jedi would be a boon to their cause.
    Looking forward to finding out over the course of the series, and in fact, about the theme of the series, what is it? Sure it's about rebels and Star Wars but what's the connected-to-the-real-world theme? Poverty or unequal distribution of wealth, etc?

20. ALF

Does it bother anyone that the lightsabers are so thin?