New Short Trek: Ask Not

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by antinoos, Nov 6, 2019.

?

How Would You Rate "Ask Not"?

Poll closed Nov 14, 2020.
  1. 10

9.2%
  2. 9

5.3%
  3. 8

30.3%
  4. 7

26.3%
  5. 6

7.9%
  6. 5

10.5%
  7. 4

5.3%
  8. 3

1.3%
  9. 2

1.3%
  10. 1

2.6%
  1. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

You can tell this one didn't exactly engage the fanbase by how little discussion we are having about it. :eek:

Qonundrum, drt and ThankQ like this.
  2. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

More it will be the same old arguments from the different factions:
    "Discovery is bad!"
    "We want a Pike show!"
    "This doesn't make sense in the 23rd century!"
    "This short is too dark. Starfleet would never do this!"

At this point in time I find it hard to believe that actual discussion about the show exists. Its more presuppositions about how terrible the show is.

gerbil likes this.
  3. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

There is conversation to be had, as seen in both the "Q&A" and "The Trouble with Edward" threads. About the interpretation of Spock, Larkin's fitness for Starfleet. This one just kinda landed with a thud.

Qonundrum and ThankQ like this.
  4. eschaton

eschaton Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

As I said in my mini-review, this really felt like a teaser to test the waters for the Pike series, more than anything else.

I mean, who the heck looked at the story concept and said "This absolutely needs to be filmed!" I can see it with Q&A and The Trouble With Edward, but this one?!?

5. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I personally loved the character interactions...not remarkable but entertaining.

But, I'm also super weird because I don't think anything absolutely needs to be filmed in Trek. I think that watching the characters interact at more important than anything else.

gerbil likes this.
  6. DaveyNY

DaveyNY Admiral Admiral

DaveyNY from Skin-Neck-Ta-Dee (Schenectady)
    Maybe this episode is the catalyst that brings about the "Kobayashi Maru" standard test at the Academy.

Perhaps before Captain Pike, it was done just as a thought exam at the academy rather than an actual physical test of ones abilities and reactions to loosing.

THAT would be cool if it WAS Pike that initiated this, especially if he went on to be the Star Fleet Academy Superintendent at some point for awhile.
    :techman:

gerbil likes this.
  7. ThankQ

ThankQ Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I already saw this one on TNG with Wesley.

8. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well, in the 2009 movie, Pike was slumming as a recruiter of some sort, nannying a bunch of draftees in Iowa event at Captain rank - a rank he retains though entitled to the stripes of a full Admiral just three years later.

Perhaps after DSC, Pike went full throttle for a teaching career of some sort, volunteering out of promotions, perhaps because he felt he had no future anyway. Depending on the timing of "Ask Not", we might see the first steps down that path designed to lead nowhere slow.

Timo Saloniemi

9. drt

drt Commodore Commodore

Probably because it was simple plot-wise, five minutes of spouting regulation numbers back-and-forth, then boom, it's a test (surprise!), followed by let's meet Spock and Number One, oh and have a look at the Discoprise engine room (which has generated its own discusion thread).

Rhodan, Qonundrum and eschaton like this.
  10. Amasov

Amasov Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Because that’s suppose to be a surprise for the viewers; despite trailers indicating it was Pike.

11. Amasov

Amasov Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You have an odd definition of what dystopia is.

gerbil, XCV330 and fireproof78 like this.
  12. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

I like it, but it's cut-and-dried. I don't know what else to say after a certain point. Nice scenario.

gerbil and fireproof78 like this.
  13. Rahul

Rahul Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This short was.... kinda' useless?

I liked the actress, I goddamn liked Pike, I liked No. 1 and Spock in combination, I liked the whole "welcome aboard"-schtick. But the test-part was just bullshit, and the two parts (the test, and the welcoming) felt utterly disconnected.

Essentially the whole thing felt like watching two unconnected deleted scenes. I really like the people on screen, and it really feels like behind the scenes they're trying. But they just aren't capable of telling a solid story, and that severely weakens all the good parts.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2019
    lawman and Kelso like this.
  14. Ronald Held

Ronald Held Vice Admiral Admiral

Aren't Short Treks let's try this and see how well it is received?

gerbil likes this.
  15. DaveyNY

DaveyNY Admiral Admiral

At Nine and a Half minutes including the opening and end credits...,
    As far as I'm concerned They did an exceptional job at showing us Pike's Version of the "Kobayashi Maru".

Rainard Fox, gerbil and Ovation like this.
  16. Rahul

I would prefer if these shorts were all more like "we can't tell this story otherwise" stuff. Like that Mudd-short, or Calypso. Those were stories that otherwise would have been never told.

I like the approach of this season's short Treks of having an unknown character or new actor in the foreground. I just wish they would tell more unusal stories. We have seen "Kubayashi Maru", "First tour through new ship", "Tribbles multiply" or "two unlikely characters stuck together" already a thousand times on Trek, and then usually much deeper explored.

I want to see more unusual stuff. Little things. Somebody doing a desk job at the frontier. A funny encounter with a misunderstanding. A single conversation turning on it's head.

Simple stuff, stuff that's "too small" to ever be told in a real episode, but worthwhile still. A more "short story" approach, rather than a "shortened story" approach.

17. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

I gave it an 8 and that's rounding up from 7.5. . It was enjoyable but pretty pointless.

18. DaveyNY

DaveyNY Admiral Admiral

It's not pointless if it continues to up the gravitas and clamor for a PIKE Series.

antinoos likes this.
  19. Rahul

To be honest, I'm not interested in a Pike-Spock-No.1-Enterprise retro prequel remake show.

A Pike series should START with Pike's horrible accident, then him settling on Talos with Vina. And then should be about him leaving Talos, on a mission for the Talosians, accompanied by Vina, a Talosian, and a ragtag bunch of misfits / other Talosian prisoners. With the added threat that anytime their sole Talosian is in danger, Pike and Vina are in danger, too, because he's keeping up their illusion of being able to live normally.

20. WarpFactorZ

WarpFactorZ Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Seems like a big waste of the Captain's time -- does he do that with every new recruit??