New series set construction?

MarsWeeps

Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain
So if we are going to see a new series in January, how soon do they have to start building sets? I imagine they can start building the ship's sets at any time now without having the whole story line developed because it's almost a certainty that there will be the need for at least a bridge.

I'm trying to get an idea of how far along the story development is and once finalized, how long to build everything.

For next year.. I'd say construction would probably start within the next few months, filming would be in the fall.

Sometimes filming is done even a month before airing depending on the show.

They just hired Bennet, how far along do you think they can be? They likely have a rough idea about the show, but that's it. Artistic direction? Size of the cast? Other details that will need to go into deciding what sets to build, I doubt they know that. And you don't want to start building sets without knowing how they integrate together. What's the size of the soundstage you're using? What other sets will be there? How long a continuous set do you want? You'd hate to build a bridge in one spot and then realize you can no longer build a large promenade type set because you're using the space it needed. Besides, renting sound stages are expensive, better to wait as long as possible and start building at the last moment to minimize costs.

I think it'll be around late August/early September before production of the first episode begins, IMO. By then, everything should be in place (cast, permanent sets, costumes, etc)., so that several episodes should be in the can when the show transmits in January.

The general network timeline has pilots ordered in the fall, pilots produced and reviewed until May where shows are ordered, then the show goes into production for a September start.

That means about 8 months to produce a pilot and review it, and then 4 months to be in position to start airing episodes. Using Jan 2017 as an air date, that means production on shows after the pilot would need to start in September and the pilot work would begin in January 2016. That roughly tracks with when CBS announced the show. They have a little more time, but also had to put together more of the writing staff than is usual once a pilot is ordered. On the positive side, they can work on producing a full season at once instead of just a pilot and then stopping. So I'd guess they probably don't need to start filming until September, with pre-production happening over the summer. Maybe shift that a month or two earlier if they plan to have all episodes ready for January binge watching. But they don't necessarily need to start building any sets until the summer at the earliest.

This new series production timeline will be like DS9 & VOY. I would imagine filming will start in the summer, like DS9 did in '92.

...it's almost a certainty that there will be the need for at least a bridge.
I wouldn't make that assumption. They'll want to do something different. Though the recent comment in a recent article that they will explore outside the known canon is intriguing.

Where will the sets be built?

The CBS Studio Center? Paramount Pictures lot where all classic Trek was filmed? Perhaps somewhere else even?

I'm curious to see what time frame it will be set in. Maybe another time jump like they did with TNG. Instead of exploring our galaxy, maybe they can explore other galaxies or even other dimensions. USS Enterprise, NCC-1701H, first of its class of Trans-Dimensional Starships, exploring not just space but also other dimensions.

That way it still could go back to its roots (exploration) while also going in a new direction (other dimensions.) :techman:

Of course the writing will have to be top notch, taking advantage of the new direction and not just regurgitating all the old Trek stuff.

Would they have to lease out a lot over there then?

They have to lease a lot wherever they go. Even taking a CBS lot isn't "free". The lot is expensive real estate that CBS needs to monetize. If Star Trek doesn't take it, then it would be available for another show or for CBS to rent to someone else, therefore Star Trek using it is lost revenue unless Star Trek "pays" for it.

For internal accounting purposes a Star Trek TV show will be charged a lease fee for a CBS lot, that way the costs look correct for the TV show and studio space has an accurate measure of it's costs and revenue. Taking a loss on studio space to subsidize a TV show confuses things for management to judge the profitability of different subdivisions.

Back