New Series Announcement from StarTrek.com - Begins January 17, 2017

Discussion in 'Future of Trek' started by MvRojo, Nov 2, 2015.

1. Campe

Campe Vice Admiral Admiral

Re: New Series Official Announcement from StarTrek.com - Begins Januar

Oh boy... Even more product placement in Star Trek. They'll be driving around in the Starship Honda Odyssey. :lol:

2. ancient

ancient Vice Admiral Admiral

Re: New Series Announcement from StarTrek.com - Begins January 17, 201

This was inevitable, no way they would sit on a franchise like this forever.

3. Lindley

Lindley Moderator with a Soul Premium Member

Edited, but I had to drop the word "Official" to make it fit.

4. MvRojo

MvRojo Vice Admiral Admiral

It should just be "January 2017"

5. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Vice Admiral Admiral

The only way you'll be able to watch the series on those platforms in the U.S. is if you have a CBS All Access subscription account.

6. AviTrek

AviTrek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The initial story already says it will be sold internationally. CBS All Access is just the US distributor.

7. Nobody

Nobody Commodore Commodore

An interesting gamble for CBS re: their SVOD service. I get the logic but I'm not sure if one exclusive series is enough to make people jump on board when the rest of your new shows are available for free, even if it requires them to tune in. Their catalog isn't that impressive either as most of it is available on other services. I'm interested to see how the show's budget. I can't imagine it is much if it is exclusive to the CBS service.

I'm excited (beyond excited) for new Trek on TV, but I can just see this cratering.

PS: I haven't been on this site in a long time but I'm glad to see that this little guy is still around: :guffaw:

8. daedalus5

daedalus5 Rear Admiral Moderator

Brilliant news. I've missed not havign "new" Star Trek episodes to watch. I'm so happy its unbelievable. :)

I'll be celebrating tonight! :)

9. A Chimpanzee & 2 Trainees

A Chimpanzee & 2 Trainees Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm excited that there's going to be a new series. I do feel sad about the distribution plans.

Had it been on regular old broadcast CBS, I likely would have tuned in for every episode (or at least DVR'd it if I couldn't watch it live). Since I already subscribe to Netflix and Amazon Prime, I have no desire to subscribe to CBS just to watch Star Trek.

On one hand that's easy to say, since the show is a rather abstract fact - there's no details on series concept/casting/etc, and there's been no marketing yet. We'll see if the marketing machine, once it gets to be that time, will suck me in, but right now I have a hard time seeing it. I don't foresee - if I were to get it - using the subscription for anything else, and it's not worth the hassle of managing yet another monthly subscription plus the $6/mo.

I hope that I'm in a tiny minority on that one, since I do want to see Trek succeed.

10. Romulan_spy

Romulan_spy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Great news. The blurb just says it will feature new characters doing star trek stuff (boldly going and seeking new civilizations yada yada). Since Kurtzman is involved, I am guessing it will take place in the current Abrams movie universe.

11. AviTrek

At $6/month that translates into $1.5/viewer/episode if they assume people cancel after the show is over. Or $5.5/viewer/episode if people keep the subscription for the year and they only produce 13 episodes. Either way they only need a max of 1 million viewers to pay for production costs assuming it's $1.5m/episode like Enterprise. If they went broadcast they'd need a lot more than that.

CBS has clearly decided that the dedicated fans will pay and the average viewer won't watch either way, so this way they can maximize their revenue. We may not like it, but we all know we're going to end up subscribing which is exactly what CBS wants.

12. KennyB

KennyB I have spoken............ Moderator

I've already got it. $5.99 isn't bad. I travel a lot so it's nice to have.

13. Nobody

I'm with you. The biggest worry going into this would be people skip the subscription and go directly to torrent it. Unless CBS drops 5-7 new shows exclusive to their service I don't know if Trek will be enough to sustain original programming. CBS demographics usually skew older than people who hit the streaming demographic. I want Trek to do well just odd they picked this route. It'll be interesting to see how it develops/fun to have some more Trek news to follow around. I just hope we get more than an one-and-done show.

14. Campe

Campe Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm thinking that perhaps they will start out with 4 new series in 2017, each 13 episodes in length premiering across the year, starting with Star Trek. It would stand to reason that they would utilize this for spinoffs to existing properties within the CBS portfolio. It's certainly a way to bring in people. If it's successful, in 2018, that number of series (not episodes) might double.

15. Nobody

Take out a % to support the streaming service, and the expected expanded growth you get a lot less per episode, or need more people to sign on. I don't doubt that CBS has a plan, and it makes to boost their SVOD service, but not all that money is going to produce Trek. Especially if they want to continue building out their library. It also wouldn't surprise me that most people torrent this, and don't subscribe. If their only added value to subscribing is new Trek I doubt that'd be enough to entice a critical mass of new subscriptions.

16. AviTrek

CBS's demographic skews older, but not Star Trek's demographic. That's why streaming makes sense. Star Trek doesn't fit on CBS, but it does on a streaming service. Netflix picked up a ton of subscribers for House of Cards. Amazon likely counts on a ton for Man in the High Castle. CBS is making the same play. Sure there is less on CBS, but it also costs less than the others.

17. Nobody

I agree about Trek demographics I just don't see CBS SVOD adding enough value to entice those younger viewers to come over with their current catalog. If they add more must-see series it could work, but as it currently stands I'm just very pessimistic about the service and the subscription gamble for Trek. The other services you mentioned had a much bigger catalog of non-original content that made them essential services before journeying into producing. I don't see CBS as having met the critical juncture. Don't get me wrong--I'd love Trek to succeed, but I'm not holding out hope.

18. SuperSpaceMan

SuperSpaceMan Captain Captain

Does anyone know what the current subscription rate for CBS All Access is?

We don't have Cable, so we stream everything or watch via antenna... so I am thinking they must already have a decent subscriber base to underwrite this....

19. Nobody

I've been trying to hunt down # of subscribers to CBS All Access with little luck. Current rate is $5.99/month.

20. AviTrek

I guess I come from the opposite mindset, I never found Netflix an essential service given my cable/dvr package. I only subscribed for House of Cards. Similarly I don't have Prime streaming yet, but will likely sign up for Man in the High Castle. So CBS is just doing the same thing. Remember, if you already subscribe then you add no new revenue for a new show. The show needs to entice new subscribers and keep them to be a success.

It's likely a loss leader. Pay for the first season upfront in exchange for hoping it drives enough subscribers to justify its cost. All Access is run by CBS, so from a corporate perspective they have the cash to risk on it.

Moonves said it's more than 100k, but refused to give any further numbers.