New Series Announcement from StarTrek.com - Begins January 17, 2017

Discussion in 'Future of Trek' started by MvRojo, Nov 2, 2015.

1. EnderAKH

EnderAKH Commodore Premium Member

Re: quality from CBSAA

I have never experienced this.
    True. It works exactly the same as non-ad free Hulu.
    Sounds fine on our sound bar.

2. AviTrek

AviTrek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Re: New Series Announcement from StarTrek.com - Begins January 17, 201

Of course. $72 was a ridiculous number. You were never going to need to subscribe all year for it. In fact, if CBS makes all the episodes available at once you can get away with watching the season for $6.

CBS hopes you will subscribe year round. But they will need to increase their offerings to encourage that. There are people that only subscribe to HBO when GoT is on. There are people that only subscribe to Netflix when House of Cards or Daredevil comes out. There will be people who subscribe to CBS only when Star Trek comes out.

3. suarezguy

suarezguy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Re: New Series Official Announcement from StarTrek.com - Begins Januar

It'll be interesting to see if Kurtzman tries to and is able to do something quite different when away from the big-screen format but it's likely he'll still try to go for a very undemanding common denominator.

4. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

I binged five years of Game Of Thrones for fifteen bucks on HBOGO a few months ago. I'm sure that at some point, if not immediately, people will be able to do that with Star Trek: The Cogley Files, or whatever this show winds up being called.

5. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

What I've observed of on-line reaction to STID suggests the opposite: the content of that movie appears to have been a little too sophisticated for a lot of fans to follow. If you're going to make social commentary I expect to be spoon-fed, damn it - paint those guys half-white and half-black!

6. captainkirk

captainkirk Commodore Commodore

Agreed. There are people who shout things like "The movie had no theme!!!1!!1" just because they didn't actually understand it. I don't have a problem with people who dislike the movie and can explain why, but when they proclaim it bad because it went over their heads I get annoyed.

7. Squiggy

Squiggy FrozenToad Admiral

I'm fine with people just not liking something. It's all subjective. Not everyone is going to like every movie.

But you can't make up facts. Facts are concrete. You don't get to say the movies weren't a success, or there was no deeper context, or any other of the dozen or so excuses people give for not liking it.

Man up and just say you didn't like it. It's ok. What's not ok is insulting people who do like it (or don't like it) just because of that fact.

8. Mr Awe

Mr Awe Vice Admiral Admiral

You know what the really funny thing is? It's that we mostly agree on this. Yet, you're too full of yourself informing people of things that you didn't even notice. Apparently the satisfaction you get from "informing people" is so great that you overlook what they are actually saying. Or, maybe it's a reading comprehension problem. I don't know you so I'm not sure which it is.

My point, before you tried to make this personal, was that I read a lot of people wanting the new series to be set in the Prime universe. My response was that they'd have to make an F load of noise because it is VERY HARD to change things--not that it's easy.

I believe our main difference is that whereas you'd say it's impossible, I'd say it is very difficult. But, in the main, we're on the same side of the spectrum.

But, thanks so much for informing me! :guffaw:

Mr Awe

9. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Thanks Mr. Awe!

<-----My name is over on the left, up there, for those that need help figuring out who posted this.

10. Mr Awe

Mr Awe Vice Admiral Admiral

^ You're welcome. Always happy to set you straight! ;)

Mr Awe

11. jefferiestubes8

jefferiestubes8 Commodore Commodore

CBSAA exclusive in USA

Trek exclusively on CBSAA is similar to Howard 100 The Howard Stern Show–XL on Sirius-XM satellite radio. It is a premium price for the show. With Trek on CBSAA CBS will be able to see how many people sign up before the Trek series starts and then see how many people ONLY watch Trek and nothing else. These viewer numbers are much more accurate than Nielsen ratings. CBS has the most control here with this subscription service and actual viewers of this show rather than Hulu or Netflix metrics. There is the possibility that they start broadcasting the entire season 2 of this series on CBS network if they think the ratings will be there which is highly doubtful compared to shows like NCIS. 2017 will be a big test for CBS of original shows on CBSAA that they don't have to worry about Nielsen ratings for. It may go the other way too. They may use it as a dumping ground for underperforming new shows that are on the CBS network. Sure after the Trek series initial run they want people to stick around for other series that are premiering that year so they keep their subscription for 12 months until season 2 starts.
    Expect CBSAA to program the other original series starts about a week before the last Trek season finale episode.

12. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

13. Belz...

Belz... Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.

I don't know. Some complaints I've read are that STID is a complete remake of TWOK, though for the life of me I can't see it beyond a single scene.

14. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Exactly so. Some simplistic people see Khan and it's automatically a remake/ripoff. Bizarre people.

15. Quinton O'Connor

Quinton O'Connor Commodore Commodore

STID was no remake. And for my money, it was a more enjoyable film, anyway, but of course that's a pretty fringe opinion in our fandom. I just wish people stopped saying it was a total ripoff.

16. jefferiestubes8

jefferiestubes8 Commodore Commodore

I wonder if CBS Interactive will do the same for Star Trek:

http://cbspressexpress.com/cbs-television-studios/releases/view?id=32956

17. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I like the way you put this. Not liking a film is fine, but I personally am always curious to hear reasons as to why. Label the film as "bad" or "a ripoff" does little to inform me as to personal reasons.

This. One scene does not make it a ripoff. I liked Khan in Space Seed, TWOK and STID, yet the motivation for his character, and the theme for each work is profoundly different.

I don't know how fringe that is, because it varies, at least for me. I enjoy TWOK and love the space battle, but it isn't my favorite Star Trek film. Similarly, STID is a fun and enjoyable film that I find I'm more reflective on afterwards due to the many similarities to contemporary political problems.

18. Shalashaska

Shalashaska Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I wonder who is the better of the Orci & Kurtzman pairing, seeing as they just split. I guess we will see soon.

It may be a little early to say this, but since we have to have one of them on this, I think Orci would have been the more desirable, if only for him being the bigger Trekkie of the two. Kurtzman just seems like a strange pick.

19. Tim Walker

Tim Walker Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Good question. When I rented the Blood and Chrome DVD I looked at the special features. The actors-in cold weather gear-were shown standing in front of a green screen. Later, the snowy/icy surface of the planet was added to the image.

I think there is quite a bit of potential in this techniqe. An alternative to a planetary surface that looks like California or Vancouver B.C.

20. eyeresist

eyeresist Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Orci being the bigger fan might mean he takes the negative fan reaction much harder than Kurtzman.

Just looking at Orci's IMDb page, his listings as both writer and producer look pretty packed for the next few years.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0649460/