New Scotty

Frontis

Captain
Captain
While other characters in the new Kelvin movies are quite similar to the ones in TOS Scotty is very different, concerning look and personality. How do you think about it? To me it was quite vexing to be honset.
Note: Generally I like these movies...

I love him, especially him hanging out with Keenser on the ice planet or the two of them having drinks in the club together. This Scotty does remind me of film Scotty a whole bunch. I love him saving the day in Into Darkness and his relationship with the black and white girl in Beyond. He's probably my second favourite of the new crew.

The new Scotty is rather a slapstick character, similar to Data in TNG. That's not a bad thing and it's entertaining but it's not Scotty. Maybe they should have given him another name...

I love him, especially him hanging out with Keenser on the ice planet or the two of them having drinks in the club together. This Scotty does remind me of film Scotty a whole bunch. I love him saving the day in Into Darkness and his relationship with the black and white girl in Beyond. He's probably my second favourite of the new crew.
I found him enjoyable, and a knowledgeable person but just not my personal favorite for enjoyment in the film.

His time due to proving his professor wrong clearly had an impact.

Well, actually there is just one Scotty, the original.
Scotty is a character, played by different actors. The character doesn't look or act only like James Doohan's portrayal. They're all Scotty.

I just never bought Simon Pegg's Scotty as an engineer.
I don't know. I used to work at a corporate research lab filled with scientists and engineers of all kinds. Pegg's Scotty would have been far from either the most straight-laced or the most eccentric in that crowd, and I had no trouble at all accepting him as a better-than-average engineer who was quickly able to recognize the elements of a sound theory (even if he hadn't yet thought of it himself.)

I don't know. I used to work at a corporate research lab filled with scientists and engineers of all kinds. Pegg's Scotty would have been far from either the most straight-laced or the most eccentric in that crowd, and I had no trouble at all accepting him as a better-than-average engineer who was quickly able to recognize the elements of a sound theory (even if he hadn't yet thought of it himself.)
Glad he worked for you. Didn't work for me.

While other characters in the new Kelvin movies are quite similar to the ones in TOS Scotty is very different, concerning look and personality. How do you think about it? To me it was quite vexing to be honset.
Note: Generally I like these movies...

The problem was that the producers of nuTrek saw the Scotty character as comedy relief, when Doohan's portrayal really wasn't like that at all. Sure, Scotty could be funny at times, but that wasn't his primary motivating characteristic. Scotty was actually a very serious character; it was only the TOS films that made him more comedic.

Personally, I think the character that was the most different was Chekov. Other than the fake Russian accent, Yelchin's take on the character came off far more like he was supposed to be Wesley Crusher rather than Pavel Chekov. TOS Chekov was absolutely not a 'whiz kid.'

The problem was that the producers of nuTrek saw the Scotty character as comedy relief, when Doohan's portrayal really wasn't like that at all. Sure, Scotty could be funny at times, but that wasn't his primary motivating characteristic. Scotty was actually a very serious character; it was only the TOS films that made him more comedic.

Personally, I think the character that was the most different was Chekov. Other than the fake Russian accent, Yelchin's take on the character came off far more like he was supposed to be Wesley Crusher rather than Pavel Chekov. TOS Chekov was absolutely not a 'whiz kid.'
TOS Chekov was "whatever we need him to be at any given moment" -- a utility character. A lot of the time it was to play the "Russia inwented it first" card, sometimes it was to play the astonishingly naive young officer, sometimes it was junior-officer banter with Sulu, but every now and then he got to be pretty sharp.

To a large degree, TOS Scotty was the same way -- often he got to be enthusiastic about the engineering problem of the day, a few times he was the Voice of Experience for some younger character, and sometimes he got to be the funny guy or the drunk.

I think, for the relatively limited amount of screen time he got, nuScotty was a pretty good mixture of irreverent / sarcastic wag and serious / capable problem-solving engineer (and Pegg was pretty adept at flipping quickly back and forth between the two facets of the character.)

I think, for the relatively limited amount of screen time he got, nuScotty was a pretty good mixture of irreverent / sarcastic wag and serious / capable problem-solving engineer (and Pegg was pretty adept at flipping quickly back and forth between the two facets of the character.)
Oh, don't get me wrong: I liked Pegg's portrayal. I think it was just a little more over-the-top than Doohan's version.

OS Chekov was "whatever we need him to be at any given moment" -- a utility character. A lot of the time it was to play the "Russia inwented it first" card, sometimes it was to play the astonishingly naive young officer, sometimes it was junior-officer banter with Sulu, but every now and then he got to be pretty sharp.
He often stood in for Spock at his station when Spock was out on a mission. So, yeah, he could be very sharp if needed.

Or comedic.

Or a heart throb.

Swiss Army Character.

To a large degree, TOS Scotty was the same way -- often he got to be enthusiastic about the engineering problem of the day, a few times he was the Voice of Experience for some younger character, and sometimes he got to be the funny guy or the drunk.
Exactly. I may not like Pegg's performance, but he embodied a lot of Scotty's mannerisms in short form quickly. He could be enthusiastic, a voice of reason and conscience for Kirk, as well as tech expert.

Pegg nails Scotty's enthusiasm and knowledge. He brings personality to the role. The firs two TOS movies did little with him on that front. He got a few good lines in TSFS, then finally got a good amount of screen time in TVH where TV Scotty came back: Smart, dedicated, concerned, enthusiastic and funny. TFF and TUC gave us different looks at Scotty.

They're all pretty much accurate because TV Scotty was all over the map. Pegg does fine, but is also make it his own. There's a lot of Simon Pegg in it, just like there's a lot of "Jimmy Doohan" in classic Scotty. Each of the actors takes their own approach to it. Some bring more of their own style, other try to inhabit the characters more. Depends.

By the time we got to Beyond, the entire cast was nailing it.

Last edited:
Back