Spoilers New Picard TV Series and Litverse Continuity (may contain TV show spoilers)

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by chrinFinity, Aug 6, 2018.

1. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

They feature sympathetic characters. So far, zero people in the Trump-wins-2024-verse have been in any way likeable, relatable or sympathetic.

Elwro likes this.
  2. thribs

thribs Vice Admiral Admiral

That’s why the mirror universe books were never that interesting. They were too scared to follow the Terrans

3. David Mack

David Mack Writer Rear Admiral

What are you talking about? By the end of the 23rd century there was no Terran Empire to follow. Per DS9: “Crossover” it was conquered after Spock converted it to a democratic republic. From then on, the former Terrans were just slave subjects of the Klingon-Cardassian Alliance … until the Terrans rose up in rebellion and then revolution, to reclaim what was taken from them. That storyline expressly followed the Terrans and their allies.

Is your beef that the MU books should have ignored canon and made a 24th-century Terran Empire? Well, that was not an option. I'm sorry if I didn't dish up enough fascism to satisfy your appetite.

Leto_II, Corran Horn, Sci and 3 others like this.
  4. Markonian

Markonian Fleet Admiral Moderator

There’re books that depict the 22nd century and 23rd century Terran Empire. Like, the story of Captain April and the ISS Indomitable exemplifies Terran casual brutality.
    Q & A gives us a glimpse at the nightmarish 24th century Terran Empire, and then there’s a full-blown pre-DS9 Mirror novel by Diane Duane.

Leto_II likes this.
  5. thribs

You could have set them before that. In Kirk’s or Archer’s time

6. thribs

I remember Q&A but isn’t that a “different” mirror universe? It had Wesley and the first officer I recall.

7. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

It must be a different MU, because it has the Terran Empire surviving into the 24th century.

(Wesley is not the XO in that universe, BTW. Lore is.)

Markonian likes this.
  8. thribs

That’s right. But Wesley was around in some position I recall.

9. Markonian

Q & A provides hints at and glimpses into several alternate timelines, including one where the Terran Empire hasn't fallen, and a Federation universe where Wesley is Captain of the Enterprise.

10. Paul Weaver

Paul Weaver Vice Admiral Premium Member

There was a Dark Mirror book, Dianne Dunane I think, set on a mirror enterprise D involving string theory and dolphins. Written before Crossover. Quite good from what I remember. Been decades since I read it

11. thribs

The usual topics then. :)

TheAlmanac and Markonian like this.
  12. Markonian

"In mirror universe, Enterprise-D string quartets play YOU." :evil:

dupersuper likes this.
  13. Unimatrix Q

Unimatrix Q Commodore Commodore

I have a strong hunch that the Confederation in the new season is based on the Khanate in "The Seeds of Dissent" from Myriad Universes - Infinity's Prism.

Especially considering that we never got an exact date of when the Botany Bay left Earth and two directly contradicting facts about Khan in "Space Seed":

Apparently the Botany Bay was supposed to have left Earth in the early 90s, while Khan apparently was defeated in or after 1996 ;)

Maybe the Botany Bay was built in the 90s but only left Earth with Khan and his people in 2024.

And another Soong family member apparently plays a bigger role in 2024 :whistle:

14. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

Most of The Sorrows of Empire was set in the 23rd Century, chronicling Spock's rise to power and his transformation of the Terran Empire into the Terran Republic.

There were already several stories from the Mirror Universe anthology set during the era of the Empire, including a continuation of the ENT-era storyline from "In A Mirror, Darkly." I'm not sure what the point would have been of having more stories set in that era would have been, though -- it would have just been more of the same Space Fascism. The Memory Omega storyline was actually something new, that had a point to it and wasn't just more of the same.

Leto_II, TheAlmanac, ATimson and 3 others like this.
  15. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Eugenics Wars are almost always consistently referred to as a 20th century conflict, even in productions made in the 21st century such as Enterprise's Augments trilogy and STID.

16. dupersuper

dupersuper Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Which is a shame. I think moving it to the 2090s would fit well. Warp tech to explain how the Botony Bay made it so far out, a cabal of humans freaking out about how much stronger than us the Vulcans are, maybe spurred on by some Kzinti raids that the Kzinti overdramatically refer to as wars in the 2070s and/or 2080s...

17. Leto_II

Leto_II Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

So...if the woman assuming Laris's form in 2024 at the very end of the episode "Watcher" actually turns out to be
    Isis, this should prove interesting, insofar as her having gotten killed by Joaquin back in 1996 at the conclusion of @Greg Cox's The Eugenics Wars Vol. 2 goes. Then again, she does reappear in Howard Weinstein's Enterprise-A era DC Comics stories, so maybe maybe this takes place before those events, from Isis's perspective?

18. thribs

I wish the writers of Picard looked at some of the beta canon when it came to researching Trek’s past. The issue I have is that they make too similar to that of our timeline which doesn’t quite work. For example that newspaper article at the end about “relaunching” the space program doesn’t make much sense here since they should be heavily invested in space travel for some time by 2024. The Shaun Christopher mission to Saturn should have happened already.
    If the date WW3 is indeed 2026, it’s going to hard to cram all this space stuff in 2 years if this Europa mission is the first step back out there since the Apollo missions.

At least Covid isn’t a thing. That would have been too much.

19. DGCatAniSiri

DGCatAniSiri Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Assuming they're the same character, that effectively debunks AT LEAST the ending of that book. Likely more - Guinan also appeared in the first volume as a contact for Gary Seven and they were on friendly terms. Even if they'd fallen out for some reason in this timeline, it'd be strange for them to reach the point where one of their operatives is now threatening to physically harm her.

Of course, this is all assuming that the Watcher/Supervisors/Guardian Angels, whatever they're calling themselves, ARE agents for this same organization. It's a good theory, I'm on board with it, but that doesn't mean it's been proven yet.

20. thribs

The portal at the end looked like a Aegis one from Assignment: Earth