Spoilers New Picard TV Series and Litverse Continuity (may contain TV show spoilers)

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by chrinFinity, Aug 6, 2018.

1. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I've been reading the Trek books and posting here for over a decade, so I am very aware of that. I just find it interesting to try to find where things would split the Novelverse and the Prime universe.

BuckBokaiLondonKings likes this.
  2. Markonian

Markonian Fleet Admiral Moderator

I don’t want to be in this reality anymore. :wah:

3. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

At least they don’t have to remove Hugh, they already did that months ago

4. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

Probably the same as when an episode of Voyager had an alien character named "Valen." As in, nothing. Now if said character looked like a Minbari, then that would be a problem. So if they actually show the Kzinti in PIC, they're going to look nothing like anthropomorphic cats (which would be in direct contradiction to TAS's "The Slaver Weapon," but continuity is not one of CBS's strong points.)

5. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

According to Michael Chabon's Instagram, it means Chabon is a Niven and TAS fan, saw an opportunity to name-drop the Kziniti, emailed Niven for permission, and Niven said yes.

So, in other words, not much.

lawman, ATimson, DrCorby and 10 others like this.
  6. iarann

iarann Lieutenant Commander Premium Member

If he got Niven's permission, that's good enough for me. Also, I'm glad to know Chabon has good taste.

7. thribs

thribs Vice Admiral Admiral

Tasha has a sex change and becomes Thad obviously.

8. Enterprise1701

Enterprise1701 Commodore Commodore

I am surprised no one has mentioned this factoid in this subforum: we novel readers scored one little victory on 13 February 2020 with PIC 1x04. Former Senator Tenqem Adrev stated that Admiral Picard stood in the "Hall of State" - that is the name coined by Susan Shwartz and Josepha Sherman in 1999's Vulcan's Heart and used in many novels thereafter for the Romulan legislative building.

Markonian, Leto_II, DEWLine and 2 others like this.
  9. chrinFinity

chrinFinity Captain Captain

As a trans person, at first I was annoyed at you for using us as the punchline to a joke. But the more I thought about it, if Thad and Tasha were the same person it really _would_ resolve some continuity issues from the novels to Picard. And it would be nice to have litverse canon trans folk.

But just so you know, we don't really like the phrase "has/had a sex change." It's reductive and offensive. Thanks :)

10. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yep
    [​IMG]

lawman, DrCorby, Markonian and 5 others like this.
  11. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

They do gender reassignment at birth in the 24th century? Because that was a baby boy Picard was holding in the picture.

12. thribs

Not at birth but there was a Enterprise novel that stated that it’s usually done at a young age.

13. The Wormhole

Presumably at a point when the person in question can consent to gender reassignment. A baby can't. So why would it be done on a baby?

14. thribs

I never said it was done on a baby. They’re not Moclans.

Markonian and TheAlmanac like this.
  15. The Wormhole

Except you did. As I pointed out, Picard was holding a baby boy in the picture of Thad. Since you said "Tasha has a sex change and becomes Thad" the only way that's possible is if the operation were done when the child was a baby.

16. thribs

How do you that was a boy? All babies look the same.

lawman and Sci like this.
  17. The Wormhole

It actually was a baby boy that Patrick Stewart was holding. How much longer are you going to cling to your fantasies?

18. thribs

It was a joke. Like that would make it fit into the lit verse anyway. There are already far too many differences.

19. Stevil2001

Stevil2001 Vice Admiral Admiral

The name of Thaddeus himself is a reference to the novels, however. Thaddeus is an ancestor of Will in Double or Nothing.

EDIT: Or not. Just remembered Death Wish.

20. The Wormhole

So, did this week's episode reference David Goodman's Picard autobiography? Picard reminisces with Rios when he served as an ensign on the Reliant's night watch. Now, I know Picard serving on the Reliant when he was an ensign comes from the Blu-ray expanded version of The Measure of a Man, but I don't remember did they specifically state he was on the night watch there? I know it was mentioned in the Autobiography. I know, it's easy to deduce he would likely have been on the ship's night watch even without reading the Autobiography, but an interesting connection all the same. And amusing out of all the books they choose to make a direct reference to in the show, it's one which is definitely not part of the Litverse.

ATimson and F. King Daniel like this.