New major alien civilization in Trek 3/XIII?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by DaddlerTheDalek, Jun 14, 2015.

1. Nebusj

Nebusj Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

``My hypothesis is that the giant stick with a ball hanging around it wants to talk to whales.''

``Spock, have you been getting enough sleep?''

2. DaddlerTheDalek

DaddlerTheDalek Captain Captain

I wonder if Idris Elba is going to play one of those new aliens.

3. DaddlerTheDalek

4. Hythlodeus

Hythlodeus Commodore Commodore

5. eyeresist

eyeresist Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

6. Sector 7

Sector 7 Vice Admiral Admiral

You mean this?:
    [​IMG]

7. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

Oh, if only TOS had the budget back in the 60's...

8. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

It had one of the highest production budgets of any show on the air at the time.

9. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

The perception that arises, particularly when it comes to scenes of wobbly cardboard buildings and backdrops and Kirk wielding a styrofoam phallic symbol to fend off a massive android twice his size, would indicate otherwise to the uninitiated. In many cases, TOS looked like it had barely more resources than a local high school theater and relied largely >GASP!< on the radical notions of characterization and storytelling. But let me amend that - the budget AND the technology to do what they wanted to do. If they had the CG capabilities then that we have now, or even 10 years ago, they could have done so much more with less, and still had the fantastic story to go along with it.

10. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master Admiral Admiral

When I look at the alien in the Omaze video I get a walrus/seal vibe... so maybe a species that lives both in and out of the water?

11. YellowSubmarine

YellowSubmarine Vice Admiral Admiral

It's all clear now. We're going to the homeworld of Morn. That's the one first contact we have all been waiting for. If you thought Darmok was hard...

12. DaddlerTheDalek

13. DaddlerTheDalek

We know that Boutella's role is a new alien (And I like her design). I wonder if they are related to the Nibirans or completely unrelated. I guess the former.

14. Tyr

Tyr Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

The design of Boutellas species is absolutely boring. Why not doing some real alien designs like those in the Star Wars Universe?

15. eyeresist

Make Star Trek more like Star Wars????

I'm expecting there will be some interesting CGI creatures on the planet.

16. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

You kidding? Another decade of bitching and moaning about these films being too much like Star Wars? No thanks.

17. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Messa no tink they gonna mo cap her or cover her in prosthetic appliances. She's a main character not some background extra.

18. eyeresist

KIRK : Who are you?
    GIGI BANKS: Meesa Gigi Banks! Meesa excellent marketing ploy! Oogy oogy oogy oogy...
    KIRK : [shoots GIGI]

19. iMike

iMike Lieutenant Red Shirt

Maybe I'm too far out in left-field here, but since we're in an alternate universe why can't we have a completely new race we've never heard of before? Just because they exist in this universe doesn't mean they have to exist in the Prime Universe.

Frankly, considering how utterly ridiculous the Klingons looked in STID I will be very happy if I don't have to look at them in STB. STID did to Klingons what Twilight did to vampires. Just my humble opinion ...

I would also like to see a five year mission that does not mirror that of TOS in any way, shape, or form. We've got a whole new universe to play with so why take used toys out of the toy box? Let's see brand new aliens and cultures, new missions.

20. Nebusj

Nebusj Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, the trouble is that the JJ Universe and the Prime Universe were the same place until 25 years before the filming. Where would a brand-new race come from in that little time?

I mean, go back to the year 1990 and make whatever change you like. I can believe you'd affect the courses of presidential elections, and that you could maybe make some factions stronger and some weaker. But could you make a brand-new country pop up in North America?

... I guess technically, like by a successful Quebec secession movement, or maybe some central American nations decide to merge or something like that. But it would be made out of the stuff we'd know and recognize from our timeline. We wouldn't be seeing a Dominion of Poyais popping up.

(Which isn't to say there can't be aliens that were nearby in Original Series time that we never heard of before, of course. We learned about a tiny fraction of what was around. Just that if the next movie introduces a brand-new alien, we can feel reasonably confident that they also existed in the Prime Timeline, just we didn't happen to hear of them.)