New hi-res Avatar stills released

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Hyperspace05, Oct 2, 2009.

1. Hyperspace05

Hyperspace05 Commodore Commodore

Some new cool Avatar images surfaced on http://spoilertv-movies.blogspot.com/2009/10/avatar-new-uhq-promotional-pics.html - Most have been seen before, but not uncropped and at this resolution: :eek: :techman:

Na'vi: (nice detail, VERY large)
    http://i.iimmgg.com/images/gr/949d96c7e1d42a768fed46b838226e3b.jpg
    http://i.iimmgg.com/images/gr/653b373702d13a2562097d4c9132fbea.jpg

VTOL gunships:
    http://i.iimmgg.com/images/gr/a5874f4d80bd30f43b6299dd99f18eba.jpg
    (note the neat details like sharp blades in front of each rotor, presumably for flying in dense jungle)

Four of the main cast members in one scene:
    http://i.iimmgg.com/images/gr/8d1d22191ced88ee919aeaa213d00190.jpg

In other news apparently a full trailer (not the teaser) is due out very soon, which will supposedly be a better introduction to the Avatar universe.

2. Rii

Rii Rear Admiral

Blargh, I was hoping for some environment shots.

3. Pat

Pat Captain Captain

My interest in this film continues to diminish at an exponential rate.

4. Hyperspace05

It obviously has not diminished your interest in posting in Avatar related threads. :devil: :lol:

5. Kegg

Kegg Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think I'm one of the three people on the planet who liked, nay, loved, the Avatar trailer.

It looks exactly like the sort of movie I would have made when I was ten. Generally speaking, I'm a sucker for big, flashy sci-fi extravaganzas with exotic aliens and epic battles and so on. I dunno, I'm not Cameron's biggest fan but I'd go see it... barring a majority of negative reviews, that is.

6. Klaus

Klaus Vice Admiral Admiral

The cg looks snazzy, but having it alongside the regular actors still brings out the not-quite-there-ness of it, I think... It might have been better to go cg the whole way.
    [​IMG]

7. Pat

Pat Captain Captain

You got me good there!!! But seriously; I saw the trailer in 3D prior to viewing The Final Destination recently - and trust me, the 3D looks just as horribly fake as the 1080p download I have. I just don't think this film is going to elicit the "oooh, wow, this has changed my movie going experience forever" type reaction the studio is obviously hoping for. Far from it in fact; the words "squib" and "damp" spring to my mind.

8. StarTrek1701

StarTrek1701 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

This movie seriously dampened everyone's expectations after that boring ass first trailer, didn't it? :lol:

9. Nardpuncher

Nardpuncher Rear Admiral

I don't think another trailer will help...the movie should've just gone the whole way and been CG...not gone and stuck itself in the middle of the road with the cartoony look.

10. Rii

Rii Rear Admiral

Who's the third?

11. Hyperspace05

Me I guess :D

12. chrisspringob

chrisspringob Commodore Commodore

Well, I saw the 15 min. preview in 3d, and while I agree that the CG still looks a bit too much like a video game cut scene, the 3d effects themselves are quite breathtaking. (You can't really get that from the teaser trailer though, because the scenes are moving by too fast.)

In fact, I'd say that the 3d effects are so different from watching a regular 2d movie that my concern is that it'll be too distracting. There's just so much to absorb at once, that it leads to sensory overload.

13. T'Baio

T'Baio Admiral Admiral

Not me. I loved the first teaser. I'm eagerly anticipating the film.

14. Pat

Pat Captain Captain

+1.

15. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Cameron please explain what this movie is about :shifty:

16. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Seeing these pics just confirms that the problem isn't the CGI, it's the design of the aliens. No matter how defined and detailed the skin texture is, it's just impossible to get past the blue skin and big cartoon eyes.

But still, this is James Cameron. There's no way I'm NOT going to see this when it comes out.

17. Ryan

Ryan Commodore Commodore

Dances With Wolves in space, apparently.

18. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

^ Oh dear.

I don't know. The juxtaposition between the cartoony-creatures and the real actors doesn't seem like a great idea to me.

If the reviews for this aren't overwhelmingly positive, I doubt I'll bother with this one.

19. ManOnTheWave

ManOnTheWave Vice Admiral Admiral

Same. The cgi is extraordinarily detailed and realistic, but I can't get over that I'm looking at blue elf cat people. Still, I'll be seeing it because I'm a wanton whore.