New Conan movie in the works.

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Spaceman Spiff, Aug 13, 2008.

1. Steve Roby

Steve Roby Rear Admiral Premium Member

Have you ever read Robert E. Howard? As far as I'm concerned, the last thing a Conan movie should do is look to the Schwarzenegger movies for inspiration.

I'm also not really into manly awesomeness.

2. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

Yes, I just thought it was funny in an evil kind of way, that's all.

3. Nathan_Heller

Nathan_Heller Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I would love seeing a film with Conan actually becoming King of Aquilonia. As I remember from the story he kills the evil former king on the front steps of the palace in view of everyone. That would be great on screen.

:evil:

4. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

Boy, it doesn't get more promising than that! Now if they just commit to it...

I think there has to be a place for a fantasy movie with some bite to it. I know everyone wants to have the next Harry Potter or LOTR but it's not easy to pull it off. Maybe people are ready for something with a little edge. I hope so.

5. Forbin

Forbin Fleet Admiral Admiral

I was intrigued by that last shot of Arnie at the end of the movies, bearded, older, sitting on a throne. I SO wish he'd made a King Conan film before he turned into the wussiest governor in the country.

6. The Borgified Corpse

The Borgified Corpse Admiral Admiral

Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down ther
    I'm looking forward to this. I've enjoyed many of the Conan ripoff movies they've made over the years (i.e. The Chronicles of Riddick, The Scorpion King, etc.) but I never could get into the Schwarzenegger movies. They're way too slow for my taste.

7. Spaceman Spiff

Spaceman Spiff Intrepid Explorer Administrator

Same here. For me, it's kind of like the first Tim Burton Batman movie. It's a fine movie, but it's a crappy Batman movie.

I feel the same way about Arnold as Conan. Great movie, poor adaptation.

8. Mr. Adventure

It's funny, when it comes to adaptations it seems that only extremely faithful adaptations are desirable. Most movies seem to be pre-judged on how faithful they are to the source material and deviation is generally seen as negative.

9. darkwing_duck1

darkwing_duck1 Vice Admiral

I'd like to see Dwane Johnson (The Rock) as Conan. He proved he can do action AND be intelligent (even witty) in "The Scorpion King".

Of course, I'm still waiting for SK 2 also...:(

10. Mr. Adventure

Please take my word for it and don't, it's really bad and I watch a lot of bad stuff and it's not even enjoyable bad.

11. darkwing_duck1

darkwing_duck1 Vice Admiral

:confused::confused::confused:

They haven't MADE SK2...

12. Mr. Adventure

It's leaked: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1104123/
    Will be released next week.

13. Australis

Australis Writer - Australis Admiral

^ Dwayne Jonson ISN'T in it.

I too think he'd be a good Conan. but don't want him to just be an Ahnolt clone.

ETA: the main guy is... Randy Couture????

What kind of name is Couture for a tough guy????

Sounds like he should be sitting beside a Paris catwalk making bitchy comments.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2008
  14. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Yeah. The Rock isn't in The Scorpion King 2. The movie is supposed to be a prequel of the first Scorpion King movie which in turn had been a prequel to the Mummy Returns. Confused yet? :vulcan:

Last edited: Aug 16, 2008
  15. dragunzng

dragunzng Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I wouldn't, I really like Dwayne Johnson, he seems like a really nice guy and a decent actor, but I could never buy him as Conan, he's just too nice.

I sort of hope it's someone I don't know, mainly because I can't of anyone who looks like Conan.

16. Steve Roby

Steve Roby Rear Admiral Premium Member

What's funny about that?

Some source material is harder to make work on screen than other source material, which is why Blade Runner is so different from Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep. There are too many story threads that just wouldn't lend themselves to a movie (Mercerism, for example).

But in general... does it make sense for someone to say "We love this story! We love it so much we want to spend millions of dollars to make it something the people who know and love the story won't even recognize!"

The problem with Conan is that, thanks to the previous movies, millions of people think they know who Conan is and what he's about. They greatly outnumber the people who've actually read Robert E. Howard. Cynical as I am, it wouldn't surprise me if whoever makes the movie decides it's more important to stay consistent to the widespread but misguided notion that Conan's a bodybuilder with flashy sword moves in a generic fantasy world.

17. Mr. Adventure

^^ I guess because it seems films are dismissed out of hand for their approach if they aren't faithful rather than how they work on their own.

For example, Tim Burton's Charlie and the Chocolate Factory often gets praised as superior for being closer to the source material rather than seriously considering if it's better than the prior film on its own merits. Similarly, his Batman is often shot down because it doesn't match up with the particulars of the comics.

I'm not saying I'm immune to it either but unlike say cover songs where an original approach is often praised it just seems that when it comes to movie adaptations people want to see exactly what they read on the screen. Perhaps it would be better to see how well it works as used in the film itself?

18. Mr. Adventure

I agree with that sentiment.

I don't know how his acting chops would be but Dave Batista of the WWE has a look that I think could work for Conan.

19. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

The sum total of his acting experience is an episode of Smallville where he didn't say much.