New companion announced? Hopefully not true...

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Timofnine, Aug 21, 2017.

1. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Is she going to start calling the TARDIS a boy?

Last edited: Aug 23, 2017
  2. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

And now I'm imagining the Jodie Whitaker Doctor as a dominatrix...

3. Guy Gardener

The costume department really missed an opportunity when they mocked up the baddies for the Dominators in 1968.

4. Marc

Marc Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Black leather and a whip for 13's costume?

But wait - wouldn't that make her The Mistress?

5. Green Lantern

Green Lantern Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

My initial reaction was a bit of laugher and confusement, but once I thought about it better, I'm for it. It'd mean there'd again, be no hanky panky in the TARDIS which I particularly wanted to avoid with Whittaker. The dynamic would be quite fun, once I wrapped my head around it I finally got a sense of where Chibnal wanted to take the show (providing he goes through with it, or a similar option). I reckon he'd be similar to Wilf, which would have also made a fantastic full time companion. It seems my reactions have been the opposite to most people on here, with me being dismayed when Whittaker was cast and more enthusiastic when Walsh has been rumoured.

Refuge likes this.
  6. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

My feelings about Walsh are pretty similar to my feelings when the companion was supposed to be Kris Marshall. On the face of it no major problem (and using Catherine Tate and Matt Lucas as a comparison it may even be great, I could really see him as a Duggan like character) I just worry about what it implies in this instance, namely that the BBC don’t have complete faith in Jodie to headline the who without there being an older and better known white male star as well.

And I was trying to work out if it’s ever been the case that a Doctor’s first companion has been a better known actor than the Doctor, unless it’s a companion crossing over from the previous Doctor (i.e. someone like Lis or Bonnie) I guess the only one that might count is Billie, but however well-known Piper was, was she really better known than Eccleston?

Maybe I’m reading too much into this (if it’s even true given by now the Beeb usually confirm where a rumour’s leaked) but it feels very much like the first time Brucie (RIP) had to miss Strictly and the BBC jammed Ronnie Corbett in because they clearly felt the public couldn’t deal with just Tess and Claudia (and thankfully they quickly realised the public had no issue, because much as I loved Ronnie C he felt out of place).

7. Refuge

Refuge Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't care about Jodie or Bradley's status as actors. Doctor Who shouldn't be shaped around who is more known and how they may cope because of the public perception.. the Doctor needs to stand on the merits of being the Doctor. He or she has to step up. If the Doctor is lessened by their companion then they ain't much of a Doctor.

8. Guy Gardener

If that was true, they wouldn't tell us about casting a year or two before the airing.

9. Refuge

Bring back Kylie Minogue.. she'd hold her own ;)

10. Guy Gardener

Kylie's character died.

A prequel would change who she was in Voyage of the damned, unless she was pretending not to know who the doctor was.

From wikipedia...

11. Refuge

Yes.. I just wondered if she was the most famous of side-kicks. I mean Kylie.. you don't get bigger than that.
    I liked River Song but she's dead too, I think. Yeah... another topic.

12. Guy Gardener

Digital Zombie.

Big Finish has released two volumes of the Diary of River Song, where she's being sneaky so that the 8th, 7th and 6th Doctors don't see her clearly or come to think that River is memorable.

:)

13. Refuge

Oooh.. thank you!

14. Guy Gardener

Thank you?

You have to buy them.

If you get a really bad Big Finish Habit, Mr. Refuge might have to sell his golf clubs.

15. Refuge

Sell his Dalek, maybe ;)

16. Qonundrum

Qonundrum Vice Admiral Admiral

Why would they do that? That isn't being bold and risky. Plus, if looks is the only reason anyone would watch a show it makes all those centuries of tv shows and religions saying not to judge by book covers a bit of a waste of time?

17. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

That never stopped Moffat, why should it stop Chibnall?

Guy Gardener likes this.
  18. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Personally, I don't think that's what it is. I just think that since the old dynamic was the (older) man with a young woman, they like to go for an older man now, since we have a younger woman as the Doctor.

Shamrock Holmes likes this.
  19. Mark_Nguyen

Mark_Nguyen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I can see it, but I think it's too polar a reversal after having exactly that with Twelve and his companions. Unless the male companion was written in a manner and role similar to Nardole, more of a butler / wetnurse instead of a proper adventuring companion. I can see that too, but again it's almost too soon for that kind of deviation.

So COULD we have a younger male companion? Would he be hormonally-challenged as all good TV characters are these days? Would it fly to have him written as asexually as all those early male companions were in the 1960s?

Mark

20. Blamo

Blamo Commodore Commodore

I can see the Bradley Walsh playing a bloke having a midlife crisis that's suddenly found himself with a 30-something attractive woman.