New and Improved Star Trek Movie FAQ - v 2.2.4

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by cardinal biggles, Jan 20, 2017.

1. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

I wouldn't be against buying them a third time, in however many years, if they complete all 10 films in 4K. I might even be upgraded myself by then. But an improvement over the DVD's would be "good enough" for now.

There was The Infinity Saga box set, but I believe it was fairly limited and sold out in a short time and is listed for $1000+ on amazon and ebay.

That was probably what I remember. It's been a while and I know TWOK was discussed re: the blue tint.

cardinal biggles likes this.
  2. FormerLurker

FormerLurker Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I just read the OP in its entirety for the first time, and found this:
    There has been scuttlebutt that it was also so the film wouldn't get a more restrictive rating. I'm too tired right now to do the necessary research to determine if this is true or not.

3. cardinal biggles

cardinal biggles A GODDAMN DELIGHT Moderator

I've heard that too, but I don't think @Lord Garth was ever able to substantiate it further than rumors when he was initially putting the FAQ together. Even over in Memory Alpha's article about blood, they hedge their assertion by saying "the supposed reason." I can't remember whether Nick Meyer addressed the Klingon blood issue in his memoir The View from the Bridge.

4. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

The first time I ever read about it was in a Star Trek magazine in the 1990s. I don't remember which one it was, probably Star Trek Communicator, and I don't know if I even have it anymore. Most likely I threw it out about 15 years ago, give or take.

If someone else doesn't beat me to it, I'll further research this during the next few days.

Richard S. Ta likes this.
  5. SidneyIsTheKiller

SidneyIsTheKiller Lieutenant Red Shirt

I'm all for researching and verifying, but the blood being a ratings concern is honestly fairly safe to presume. That would've been an absolutely outrageous amount of red stuff flying around for a PG-rated film. I can see it squeaking by with a PG-13 on the basis of most of it being obvious CGI, but you'd still have the moments when gravity comes back on and you'd have red splatter all over the walls and looking into Gorkon's gaping wound, etc. I get a "yikes" just thinking about it!

Peach Wookiee likes this.
  6. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

The Klingon blood was purple for the explicit purpose of the Scooby-Doo switcheroo at the end.

7. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

Where did the time go?

I can't find a first-hand source that says TUC would've received an R-rating if Klingons had red blood. The best I could get was a third-hand source that had this to say:

(3) what color is klingon blood REALLY? : startrek (reddit.com)

I can't find on anything YouTube from HBO or Showtime to confirm what the person above said.