Never seen TOS scenes, but would've been nice...

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Warped9, Apr 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kagan

Kagan Commodore Commodore

Re: TOS movie what if...

Yep, W9, that has always been one of my favorites that you have done. Not only does the change impress me, but I don't think that I have ever seen a clearer cap than this one...including the ones a Ariane's and Trek5's sites.

As I have alluded in other posts since I joined BBS, The Cage era has always been one of the most fascinatingly unexplored parts of Trek to me, I guess because it felt so 50-ish SciFi. Your Cage-d pics have renewed my wonderment of "what could have been."

The bridge colors back then always seemed so dignified. Anyone that's been in the Navy knows that "battleship grey" is a lovely color. :D Even though I'm like Scotty was in The Relic when he asked to see the bridge of the Enterprise, I do wonder sometime what the place would have looked like without the 10 gallons of "fire-engine red" Sherwin Williams that NBC went and bought just to sell color TVs. ;)

2. Odysseus

Odysseus Commodore Commodore

i have a problem with the picture myself. it's nitpicky but here goes. the shadow under the andorian's head is to the right, but the shadow on his face is to the left. they should be matchig ;)

3. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

^^ No, you're quite right yet the flaw did not originate with me but with the original image from which I got the Andorian's head. Whoever fashioned it originally simply grafted the head onto someone's neck without considering the shadow issue. At some point I may try to fix it, but it isn't on my list of priorities for the moment. :)

4. Kagan

Interesting that you should say that. Not defending W9 here, but I have notice some things about the pic now that you brought up the light and shadow question.

W9's Enhanced Pic
    There are actually multiple light sources on the bridge.
    Notice the dark shadow below Spock's chin is in a "V" shape to indicate that light is coming from two different directions.

The more powerful light is coming from the direction of the viewscreen or the lighted-side of the Andorian's face.

Notice that the shadow of Dr. Boyce is against the bulkhead on the left of the pic.

Now for a original pic that I found to be nearest to the one W9 used...

http://www.trek5.com/caps/tos/00_CAGE/pages/00-cage_024.htm

In this pic the "sergeant at arms" has bright light only on his nose and his shadows are multiple as well. If one notices the bulkhead behind him has shadows both to his left and his right. He too has the "V" shadow beneath his chin indicating even two more light sources.

Since I've seen far worse attempts to enhance pics than the one W9 produced and that there are multiple light sources that are difficult to reproduce,...well, I'll leave it at that.

5. Odysseus

Odysseus Commodore Commodore

the easiest thing is to probably flip the shoulders around because of the direction the face is looking. :)

6. Four Mad Men

Four Mad Men Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

[EDIT]
    That'll teach me to go get a drink while posting. Seems my reply is a little late. But hopefully valid nonetheless
    [/EDIT]

Well unless I miss my guess there are multiple lights involved here. And let's not forget about the set lights. It seems to me by looking at the others the set lighting is causing the face shadow and the alcove lighting is causing the body shadow. I could be wrong but that's how it seems to me. I myself prefer the brighter colors of Kirk's Enterprise but it is a nicely made image none the less.

7. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

I also tweaked the colours of the shirts (as well as adding less intense red shirts) to make them richer yet not as intense as is generally associated with TOS. I tried to make the whole image a little warmer and less battleship sterile by accentuating the colours. I would do the same with the series era bridge as well as toning down the reds on the set as well as the shirts.

8. USS Excelsior

USS Excelsior Commodore Commodore

Looks like a great job! But I didn't know they had red uniforms back then.

9. reno floyd

reno floyd Vice Admiral Admiral

An alternative TMP uniform with department color epaulets.

[​IMG]

10. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

The point was to try adding some diversity of colour. And actually I didn't originate the idea. The original edition of Diane Carey's novel Final Frontier had a character on the cover (supposedly George Samuel Kirk) wearing such a "Cage" era uniform in a red shade and I thought it looked rather neat.

11. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

Who opened up a can of Starship Exeter in here?

12. Kagan

Ahh...that's where you got that! Just pulled it off the shelf. Guess I'll just reread it again. ;)

13. Ryan Thomas Riddle

Ryan Thomas Riddle Vice Admiral Admiral

George Kirk, Sr. is in the center of that inside cover art (looks like Shatner with much longer and lush hair). The man in the red shirt, I believe, is supposed to be Drake-- the other security officer kiddnapped by April at the beginning of the book.

M.

14. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

^^ No, I believe the guy with the longer hair and wearing a sweater is supposed to be Robert April, the in the centre is George Kirk and the other is T'Cael the Romulan Commander. Drake was black and purportedly from the West Indies and he isn't anywhere in the illustration.

15. Kagan

You're right, W9. Like I said in my previous post...I'm rereading The Final Frontier by Diane Carey. ;) On chapter 8 already in one day. Drake Reed is described as having "tawny" skin...which usually means African descent. Robert April is described as constantly wearing a cardigan because of a blood disorder. George Kirk is described as having red hair and wearing a red shirt. T'Cael is also described as he appears on the cover.

Can't wait to finish this again.

As a college buddy once said, "Star Trek's third season (TOS), pizza, and women...even when they're bad, they're good." :D

16. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Although I consider Carey's book to be a little too cute to be credibly official I still thought it was one of the more enjoyable reads for Trek. I've got my own copy around here somewhere that I've read at least three times. And I think it's a much better book than the sequel Best Destiny which really just didn't work for me.

17. Kagan

Still off-topic, but you brought up Best Destiny. Have you ever noticed that the image of the young Jim Kirk on its cover looks more like Wil Wheaton than it does a teenage William Shatner? :( Caused me to almost not buy when it first came out.

18. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

Oh my God, THANK YOU!

I could never place what the F was up with that photo of the young Jim Kirk. Now I can <shiver>

19. Intelligence

Intelligence Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Im currently reading Best Destiny finally reached the fourth part of the book, took me increadible two months... Reed is discribed as being from the carribean...

you know I wasn't aware that George Kirk & Co were on the cover of Final Frontier I bought that book in Germany and the cover looks slightly different here (it was the last book I bought, I started therafter to read my novels in English...)

still have some memories to FF I was in the military and was on guard duty so I had a lot of time and read the entire thing in one night, to keep me awake... :lol:

20. Kagan

Slightly different???

Intelligence, I don't know about the German...but in English...the way the word "slightly" is used here...is a gigantic understatement. ;)

Hey, Warped9, (BACK ON TOPIC :)) I was watching Where No Man Has Gone Before during breakfast. Much better than the news, by the way. Since you've looked into changing uniforms on The Cage...What about on WNMHGB?

If I'm looking at the original color schemes of gold, blue, and sand correctly then the following sand colored uniforms should change to red.

Mitchell

Kelso

In looking at some screen caps of both The Cage and WNMHGB, I think that Yeoman Colt in the pilot episode should also wear red.

I know that many in TOS fandom would yell and say that these should be gold, but that is not what it apparently should have been at the time. Of course TNG and later souls might wonder why the captain is in gold. ;)

Just a suggesting thought.

By the way, the more I look at your enhanced red uniforms the more I like them with your crimson as opposed to the tradition scarlet. Keep up the good work.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.