News Neuromancer Series Adaptation Coming to Apple TV+

JD

Fleet Admiral
Admiral
Apple TV+ has announced that they will be releasing a series adaptation of William Gibson's classic cyperpunk novel, Neuromancer. The series is created by Graham Roland, the creator of Dark Winds and co-created the Jack Ryan series from Amazon Prime, and JD Dillon, who has directed episodes of Utopia and The Outsider. Both will serve as Expecutive Producers, with Graham also serving as showrunner, and Dillon directing the pilot.
I read book a couple years ago and I enjoyed it, but I do have to wonder how well this will do when we've gotten so many other cyperpunk movies and series that have tackled similar themes. I'm just afraid it won't feel anywhere near as groundbreaking and unique as it would have if it at come out closer to when the book came out.

Yeah, hasn't nearly every idea from Neuromancer been ripped off by now? Ghost in the Shell SAC etc. being one example - and it did it really well. Still, it's not my money they're burning as I no longer subscribe to Apple TV+.

Neuromancer was and is one of my Top 5 Books Ever!
I got to talk to William Gibson about it, years ago, including his prediction (then) about whether it would ever be made into a movie!
I remain hopeful that this latest will be Worthy!

I kind of wonder if they might want to put some kind of disclaimer about how old the book was and how it influenced all that stuff, and is not ripping it off.

Plus, Fun Fact;

“Gibson coined the term "cyberspace" for "widespread, interconnected digital technology" in his short story "Burning Chrome" (1982), and later popularized the concept in his acclaimed debut novel Neuromancer (1984).”

https://en.m.wikipedia.org › wiki

The vibe of Gibson cyberpunk is often missed so I'll be curious how they do with that. I just realized I probably haven't read those books since I was in high school in the 80s.

I kind of wonder if they might want to put some kind of disclaimer about how old the book was and how it influenced all that stuff, and is not ripping it off.

Given what Gibson has already said about it - I suspect it will heavily updated.

Again, the more I think about it - as @JD said - the more I agree that a message should be made clear that HE (Gibson) is the “Father” of Cyberspsce, and that whatever project emerges is not the latest copy, but more a First Generation reflection…

And I still think they should have put a similar message like that at the beginning of John Carter, to explain the original story's significance to sci-fi history. I was a little shocked non-of the trailers or any of the other promo stuff mentioned the books or the fact that they were by the guy who also created Tarzan.

And I still think they should have put a similar message like that at the beginning of John Carter, to explain the original story's significance to sci-fi history. I was a little shocked non-of the trailers or any of the other promo stuff mentioned the books or the fact that they were by the guy who also created Tarzan.
"If you think this sucks keep in mind it was written 100 years ago." :)

Good costumes and sets are a must for this.

I would want no consumer electronics we carry around to be in the “film” at all…you want a BRAZIL type vibe…electronics in nice cases, floating holograms…a contrast between the very clean and the very dirty.

The look is most important here.

Maybe phone booths still exist, but the glass darkens for, well…use 35 MM film for walking around..but then 8k digital for certain sequences so as to appear more liquid.

No I-phones.

I still want a few CRTs…one isolated that is a master control, surrounded by newer tech…but above them, somehow…the computer equivalent of a big-bad not being as impressive as you’d imagine.

Somehow, in Gibson’s world, there wasn’t an Apple or Microsoft…it was soulless IBM and the like. The 70’s stuck around too long—and folks like the Woz are not billionaires—they’re in prison.

In our timeline the pirates of Silicon Valley made our computer world.

In Gibson’s vision, they rebel against it.

That’s Cyberpunk.

Last edited:
It will be interesting to see what kind of design esthetic they go with. My first thought would be something kind of Blade Runnerish,

I heard Gibson ran out of that film...as spot on as it was. Mr. Robot and Wild Palms did okay, but closer to our world.

Back