Need basic help with my Droid Charge

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by PKTrekGirl, Aug 18, 2011.

1. PKTrekGirl

PKTrekGirl Arrogant Niner Thug Admiral

Okay...so I got a Droid Charge about 2 months ago. I love this phone...but have never had a phone or MP3 player that played music, outside of iPods with iTunes, and I need help putting music on this phone.

1. The Droid comes with a music player, but I don't know if it's any good. Is there a better one? This one has no feature to import music, for one thing.

2. If I have MP3s, do I have to put them in a special place on the Droid? Is there a way of importing them into a music program, like with iTunes (only on my phone - not on my computer), so that your in-phone music program will automatically see them? I'd prefer one that I don't have to sync with on a computer as I have most of my music in iTunes and don't want to have another whole duplicate music program hogging space on my HD.

Forgive such basic questions, but the owner's manual that come with this phone is mind-numbingly basic, containing only info about how to make a phone call or pick up your voice mail :rolleyes: It gives no info on this, nor do any of the videos in the 'guided tours' app on the phone.

Thanks for any assistance.

2. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

1. There's one called <sup>3</sup> pronounced "Cubed" that I like. Read about it here! People might come along and suggest others. :)

2. You can just put MP3s on your SD card in the following location: /media/audio/music. You can have artist/album folders under that in any structure you want. Any MP3s put there will be picked up by music players you install. You should be able to access your SD card by hooking the phone up to your computer via USB cable. The phone will give you an option to share the SD card with your computer, which you would then enable. After that, you can transfer files back and forth between your SD card and computer. I find this to be a pretty nice way to add music, ringtones, or whatever else.

3. PKTrekGirl

PKTrekGirl Arrogant Niner Thug Admiral

I will look at that music player right now. Thanks!

Thanks for the response in #2. That was really helpful. I had no idea that all music player programs know to look for stuff using that path. As I said, since the beginning of time I have put everything into iTunes and synced what I wanted with my various iPods. I have never used other programs to actually manage a music library - only to play a 'one off' audio file here and there on my computer or to play downloaded video files, etc.

EDIT: I do note that I have to create the 'music' folder within the existing /media/audio folder system. I assume this will be on my phone, though - not on the SD card. Do I just have to create it on the phone and transfer it to the SD card using one of the transfer apps I have? Because I don't see the SD card showing up separately.....

Last edited: Aug 18, 2011
  4. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

I have the same phone, purchased about 2 months ago too.

I created a new folder called "video" inside the "vault" folder and the video player automatically sees the vid I put in there.

Not certain if it's on the SD card or the phone, but it's a big file, so probably on the SD card.