Ncuti Gatwa is the 14th Doctor

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by StCoop, May 8, 2022.

1. Ray Hardgrit

Ray Hardgrit Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It'll be interesting to see if anything since Capaldi ever gets mentioned or has any influence on episodes. Judging by RTD's first run on the series I'd assume not.

2. TheAlmanac

TheAlmanac Writer Captain

That bridge was already crossed for me, but these comments point to another milestone--this is the first Doctor born after the classic series ended, during The Wilderness Years.

The Wormhole and Sci like this.
  3. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

Spinning in his grave?

Lonemagpie likes this.
  4. Australis

Australis Writer Admiral

You can miss it, no loss.

The original series had the Wirrn, so...

Capaldi and I were born in the same year. Gatwa is younger than my kids, so...

I saw the BBC News clip locally, rewatched here, I think he'll be fine.

Ar-Pharazon likes this.
  5. Richard S. Ta

Richard S. Ta Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Sad that Who use to be something I never miss. I might stick it on tomorrow afternoon. It's Sea Devils after all.

I had to check... old Levine is still alive... I was worried for a moment, or at least as worried as I could be considering it's Ian Levine.

Ar-Pharazon likes this.
  6. Ray Hardgrit

Ray Hardgrit Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Legend of the Sea Devils is extremely skippable... unless you've seen every other episode of modern Doctor Who, in which case you have to watch it to complete the set. It is interesting though, as it might be the first episode of the Chibnall era to have worse production than it does writing.

7. Sci

Sci Admiral Admiral

Ncuti Gatwa is absolutely wonderful on Sex Education. I highly recommend the show to everyone and he is an absolute standout in a cast of standouts. I can definitely see where elements of his performance -- his energy, his playfulness, his hidden depths, his passion, his strength -- can all come to bear in a way that works for the character. I think he'll hit it out of the park as the Doctor.

8. thribs

thribs Vice Admiral Admiral

Still no ginger. That story is going to be epic when it finally happens.

DS9Continuing likes this.
  9. Richard S. Ta

Richard S. Ta Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I've seen every existing Classic episode, every episode of post 2005 Who, read the NA's, read the MA's, read the PDA's, read the EDA's and vast swathes of comics, plus quite a lot of Big Finish audios, own three Sonic Screwdrivers... I love the show, so really it's silly if I don't watch it.

No offence to anyway, because I love Star Trek, but if I had to take the entirety of one show or the other to a desert island then I'd choose Who in a heartbeat.

I'm just being a grump about it all. I want to reignite my Who love very much.

Sea Devils might be a thing for tomorrow afternoon.

I didn't know there was quite a sizeable Who forum here and it seems to be relatively clear of alt-right maniacs. Time to explore.

Also, back to topic, Ncuti Gatwa, welcome to the family!

Starkers likes this.
  10. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Sea Devils isn't terrible (there are far worse Chibnall era episodes TBH)

Turtletrekker and The Wormhole like this.
  11. StCoop

StCoop Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's the most clearly COVID effected episode and one of the ones where it would be very interesting to compare to original script to the final version.

12. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Anyone who was around here back in the day will also know I wasn't RTD's greatest fan, and I'll always be more Team Moffat then Team Russell, but I've mellowed, and as you say RTD has matured as a writer. Apart from a few sledgehammer moments Years and Years was excellent. It's a Sin was just superb though, utterly heart-breaking but phenomenal, I can't believe it didn't win BAFTAs.

Even when I moaned about RTD's Who back in the day it was always compelling viewing. Chibnall's Who didn't even annoy me, it just made be quite apathetic. That said I'm hoping RTD 2.0 isn't just a re-tread of RTD 1.0. I think everyone's moved on.

I'm sure he wouldn't have returned if he didn't have some new ideas.

13. Gingerbread Demon

Gingerbread Demon Stealer of all the cookies in time and space Premium Member

This is good I have never heard of him either till now looking him up. I'm happy with a new choice but yeah was hoping for another female but it is what it is so still happy.

14. Orac Zen

Orac Zen Mischief Manager Super Moderator

Oh. I wasn't aware that I was supposed to like everything Davies - OBE, as if that actually matters - does. Now that I am so informed, I find I don't care. Nor do I reckon snide remarks add anything even remotely germane to this discussion. Each to their own and all that.

The Nth Doctor likes this.
  15. jaime

jaime Vice Admiral Admiral

Modern Doctors? I will have you know that the Seventh was outright identified on screen as a Friend of Dorothy.

Chakoteya likes this.
  16. Relayer1

Relayer1 Vice Admiral Admiral

It's discrimination I tell you.
    There's a lot of people that feel the same way. Me included.

I persisted with Chibnall's run and have found things to enjoy, but I'm stuck two episodes into Flux and just can't muster the enthusiasm to carry on. The Daleks special was OK, the Sea Devils very much wasn't.

I wasn't exactly over the moon at RTD coming back -
    Yeah, he's great at character, less so at sci-fi, but i must admit I'm getting somewhat more optimistic now.

Fingers crossed !

17. Chakoteya

Chakoteya Captain Captain

ROTFLMAO..... Oh, that's just Ace. Nice one.

jaime likes this.
  18. Haggis and tatties

Haggis and tatties Vice Admiral Admiral

I personally found everything i saw from Chibnall run"extremely skippable", and i am much better for it. lol

19. jaime

jaime Vice Admiral Admiral

I wish I could take credit, but these days it is unwise to forget The Happiness Patrol.

Chakoteya likes this.
  20. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

:guffaw: Give it time. This could be the final nail in his coffin, if nothing else.

Turtletrekker and Richard S. Ta like this.