NCIS franchise

Apparently Leroy Jethro Gibbs' father is.... Walt Longmire! Robert Taylor will play Jackson Gibbs in a recurring capacity.

This was an all-star guest cast this week. In addition to the actor you mentioned, the cartel leader, or whatever he was, the guy who needed surgery, had a recurring role on The Walking Dead several years back.

Meanwhile, I was actually somewhat disappointed with this week's Hawai'i. I had everything figured out almost nearly from the start. Fortunately the fun character moments salvaged it somewhat. I particular liked this scene between Sam and Ernie:
Sam: "I had to pull in a lot of favors for this. I now owe debts to people you don't want to owe debts to."
Ernie: "Underworld types?"
Sam: "Worse. Air Force pilots."

Guess the current episodes where shot when Yasmine al-Bastani was off filming The Chosen given that everyone is in Lucy doesn't exist mode.

NCIS Hawaii is still on the bubble about being renewed by CBS.
There are 4 episodes left in season 3, airing within the next 4 weeks, with the season finale being a two-parter.

On any other US Networks NCIS Hawaii would have been renewed with the viewership numbers that they are achieving. CBS has already cancelled other shows with similar viewership's this year - mainly to cut costs to make it more attractive for the looming parent company takeover, all tough the say it's to make space for the new shows. However one doesn't exclude the other...

Anyway I don't know if the producers and writers knew and planned ahead for a finale, that could also double on a series finale. It will be announced soon.

my gut feeling (no insider information) tells me it's either gonna be an outright cancellation or a reduced - maybe final season - episode order.

The leading lady Vanessa Lachey (Minnillo) seems very busy outside of the show too.
And as much as I love the Hawaii unit (it's my favorite of the NCISverse with New Orleans and Sydney), season 3 has been rather disappointing with Sam Hanna seemingly crashing there for the whole season - taking away screen and story time from the OGs, with a typical LA-"elite" story-line and probably not cheap contract from the actor.

On any other US Networks NCIS Hawaii would have been renewed with the viewership numbers that they are achieving. CBS has already cancelled other shows with similar viewership's this year - mainly to cut costs to make it more attractive for the looming parent company takeover, all tough the say it's to make space for the new shows. However one doesn't exclude the other...

one of the factors with Hawaii was they got further use out the local production base that had been set up for Hawaii 5-0.

so they've either gotten their money back on it and think it's time to shut it down or they're going to have to mount another show unless they can offload it to some-one else (which I doubt they'd really want to do).

taking away screen and story time from the OGs, with a typical LA-"elite" story-line

you'd almost thinking they were doing a backdoor pilot but then it would probably be a re-heat of LA.

There are 4 episodes left in season 3, airing within the next 4 weeks, with the season finale being a two-parter.
Actually, it is just the two part finale left. Episode 9 Spill the Tea airing this coming Monday, April 29 and Divided We Conquer on May 6. Likewise, OG NCIS only has two episode left this season (though they aren't a two-parter). Prime Cut on April 29 and Reef Madness on May 6.
my gut feeling (no insider information) tells me it's either gonna be an outright cancellation or a reduced - maybe final season - episode order.
Indeed, I'm seeing speculation that if Hawai'i is renewed, it'll be a reduced episode count. I'm inclined to agree. The likeliest scenario would be OG and Origins running the entire season, with Sydney in the fall and Hawai'i premiering midseason.
And as much as I love the Hawaii unit (it's my favorite of the NCISverse with New Orleans and Sydney), season 3 has been rather disappointing with Sam Hanna seemingly crashing there for the whole season - taking away screen and story time from the OGs, with a typical LA-"elite" story-line and probably not cheap contract from the actor.
I'm of two minds about Sam being on Hawai'i this season. He has been having some fun interactions with the Hawai'i cast, but it does feel like he's getting in the way of the episode's plot at times.

Looks like Hawai'i is now officially cancelled.

Not to worry. Somehow NCIS: Origins will figure out a way to get LL Cool J into 10 episodes that place him front and center and push the support cast off to the side.

What they should have done is moved N:H to Paramount+ as an exclusive, like they did with SEAL Team. The show had a rought start but had really found it's footing. I'm actually pissed-off about this one.

Well, shit. This sucks. Hawai'i was one series which hit the ground running and had a really great cast. Going to be sad to see them go.

Well, maybe they can bring someone back on OG next season? Definitely can't bring any of the Hawai'i characters on Origins, and it might be difficult, logistically speaking to have them show up on Sydney, though not impossible, I guess.

What they should have done is moved N:H to Paramount+ as an exclusive, like they did with SEAL Team. The show had a rought start but had really found it's footing. I'm actually pissed-off about this one.
Since Paramount Global is in the process of trying to sell itself (and its $14B in corporate debt), that would just be rearranging the furniture.

Well, shit. This sucks. Hawai'i was one series which hit the ground running and had a really great cast. Going to be sad to see them go.

Well, maybe they can bring someone back on OG next season? Definitely can't bring any of the Hawai'i characters on Origins, and it might be difficult, logistically speaking to have them show up on Sydney, though not impossible, I guess.

Hopefully they can find room for Whistler, Pike and Commander Chase elsewhere. Heck, put Lucy onto OG as a recurring Agent Afloat and Whistler as the new DOD Liaison in Sydney.

While I'm sad about the cancellation (I'm especially gonna miss Jane, Jesse and Ernie - as well as the Hawaii setting) I'm really disappointed about the way it has been cancelled.

Carting out Vanessa Lachey for the big 1000 Ep promo, party and all not long ago...
Cancelling it without a heads up to the producers, cast and staff.
They have not even done the usual "we're sorry to see it go too announcement...

Source: https://deadline.com/2024/04/ncis-h...ellation-vanessa-lachey-ll-cool-j-1235897052/

According to sources, the season finale episode was not meant to be a series finale and includes a tease for what was to come but fans won’t be left reeling by a major cliffhanger.

...Still, the outcome is surprising since an effort was made to extend the well performing drama’s run for at least an abbreviated fourth and final season, with producers agreeing to a massive budget cut and open to other concessions in order to keep the show going.

Source: https://deadline.com/2024/04/ncis-hawaii-canceled-cbs-no-season-4-1235896481/

CBS unveils its schedule for the 2024/2025 season. But basically, the relevant portions for this thread are:
-OG NCIS keeping its Monday 9PM timeslot
-NCIS Origins replacing Hawai'i in the Monday 10PM slot
-NCIS Sydney withheld until spring where it will now be in the Friday 8PM slot. I should note, though they say "spring" based on context near the start of the article, that really just means any time after the Super Bowl.

Mahalo e NCIS Hawaii cast/crew and the Islands. I'm gonna miss Jane, Ernie and Jesse especially.

Filming wrapped 3 weeks before the cancellation decision, thus not allowing some additional scenes/montages/voice overs.
The show isn't shopped around or considered for Paramount+ according to reports.

After seeing the finale, they could have easily at least cut out the last scene post gathering with
Jane finding Maggie Shaw sitting on her couch in her living room.

the cast, crew and fans deserved a heads up and better end in some form.
Very disappointed.

No interest in catching up to years of OG NCIS, don't care about the ZIVA series, nor Origins.
But at least Sydney is still around - for now (thanks to Paramount/CBS needing Aussie productions to fulfill certain legal obligations for some of their business interests)

Back