Contest: ENTER Native American Heritage Month

Kai "the spy"

Admiral
Admiral
November is Native American Heritage Month, so this contest is about showcasing notable Native Americans, Native American art and culture, and generally show some respect for once. For purposes of this contest, let's include the First Nation tribes from Canada, as well.

Entries must be 200x200 pixels and/or 1 Mb data, or smaller. No NSFW material, and no dramatized media. You may enter up to three times.

4d5SbFf.jpg

Navajo artist Shonto Begay

Trying to do this entry on my phone as we lost all TV and internet here at my gf's place since Wednesday.. I can't tell if in this episode of tos "The Paradise Syndrome" with this person playing the Native American

Miramanee.jpg

If she is native American or not.. on memory alpha or the wiki there is no mention... Though she did run for Senator of California.. I will also have trouble resizing her with my phone and pixel numbers as well.. But nobody take my choice... :)

^While I couldn't find out what Sabrina Scharf's heritage is, from what I have seen and read about her, I don't believe it to be Native American. It is more likely that, as was the custom back then, a white/LatinX actor was cast and made to look like a Native American (or the stereotype of one, at least).
Also, even if Scharf should turn out to be of Native American heritage, that image is from The Paradise Syndrome, and dramatized media is prohibited as a source, so you'd have to use a different picture of her.

Chief Dan George was always one of my Favorites, especially in "The Outlaw Josey Wales".
Chief-Dan-George.jpg

Chief Dan George was always one of my Favorites, especially in "The Outlaw Josey Wales".
Chief-Dan-George.jpg
Again, no dramatized media is allowed. You may enter an image of Chief Dan George, just not from one of his movie roles. There is a nice photograph of him with fellow actors Sondra Locke and Clint Eastwood, and of course several other photographs of him to choose from.
Also note that entries have to be 200x200 pixels or smaller, so that image would be too wide.

Oswald "White Bear" Fredericks Hopi Story Teller and Artist. I met him once at his studio in Old Oribi on the Hopi Reservation. Oldest village in N America inhabited since 1100 AD. He was a friend of my Uncle (also an artist). Fascinating rich ancient culture.
White-Bear.jpg

Are South American native images allowed? I'm thinking about a group of musicians from Ecuador who perform songs in a variety of languages ranging from Quechua to Spanish to Lakota.

Are South American native images allowed? I'm thinking about a group of musicians from Ecuador who perform songs in a variety of languages ranging from Quechua to Spanish to Lakota.
I'm gonna say yes, but I want to make it clear that by South American natives, I do not mean cultural artifacts of the Aztecs, Maya, Olmecs, or other ancient Central and South American civilizations. While they're technically natives of the Americas, I still feel like they belong in another category, maybe in a theme about lost civilizations.
But, yes, you may enter the musicians you were talking about.

KGuUpNi.jpg

Jessica Matten, actress of Métis-Cree heritage

Last edited:
quanah1.jpg
Chief Quanah Parker, revered Comanche chief who traveled the “peyote road” and encouraged other Indians to do the same.

And

1_LWfpSKb6n06R6FSu6yyoCA.jpeg
Geronimo..

Before I do some kind of size edit I offer these two native Americans. I will be looking for something to edit photos sizes by pixel scaling for Android in I guess app from unless I can wait till Monday night when I am home..

Anyway are these guys ok??

So far we've got:

@auntiehill #1
saS0hZY.jpg

Graham Greene, Oneida, actor, nominated for an Oscar as Best Actor in a Supporting Role for "Dances With Wolves"

@auntiehill #2
0igWPbX.jpg

Wes Studi, Cherokee, actor, musician, and linguist who developed the Na'vi language for "Avatar", received an Academy Honorary Award in 2019

@Kai "the spy" #1
4d5SbFf.jpg

Shonto Begay, Navajo, artist and writer

@Kai "the spy" #2
aPgFhTq.gif

Supaman, Apsáalooke, hip hop artist, & Acosia Red Elk, Umatilla, jingle dress dancer

KGuUpNi.jpg

Jessica Matten, Métis-Cree, actress best known for her roles in Canadian TV shows "Frontier" and "Tribal"

@Kerock #1
external-content-duckduckgo-com.jpg

Dan George, chief of the Tsleil-Waututh, actor and musician, nominated for an Oscar as Best Actor in a Supporting Role for Little Big Man

@Kerock #2
White-Bear.jpg

Oswald "White Bear" Fredericks, Hopi, artist, muralist, illustrator of the Book of the Hopi

@think #1

Quanah Parker, Last Chief of the Comanche, rancher, deputy sheriff of Lawton, proponent of the Native American Church

@think #2

Geronimo, leader and Medicine Man of the Bedonkohe Apache, led repeated resistance to US and Mexican military in defense of his people and their way of life

@think #3
sacagawea-postage-stamp-1994-am-jpg.18869

Sacagawea, Lhemi Shoshone, guide and emissary to Native tribes for the Lewis & Clark Expedition

Great entries!

Okay, LAST CALL! Poll will go up on the weekend. @Timewalker , you wanted to do an entry with that Ecuadorian band you were talking of, so better get to it.

Last edited:
indigenous-heritage-month-av.jpg

Buffy Sainte-Marie, musician, composer, educator, activist. First Indigenous person to win an Oscar.

indigenous-heritage-month-av2.jpg

Norval Morriseau / Copper Thunderbird, Anishinaabe, artist. Considered the "grandfather of contemporary Indigenous art in Canada".

indigenous-heritage-month-av3.jpg

Rinelle Harper, Garden Hill First Nation, advocate. After barely surviving her own horrific assault, she became an advocate for victims of violence. Called for a national inquiry into Canada's missing and murdered Indigenous women.

Back