Name That Star Trek Object

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Methuselah Flint, Dec 28, 2019.

1. Spock's Barber

Spock's Barber Commodore Commodore

Is it that sickbay thingy that covers the patients bodies, like when Sarek was having surgery in Journey To Babel?

2. MarsWeeps

MarsWeeps Fleet Captain Premium Member

No, it's not that device either.

Clue 1:
    We see this used at various times throughout the series, although we aren't sure of its exact function and can only guess at what it does.

Clue 2:
    One reason we are confused about its function is because we see it in identical situations throughout the series, sometimes it is used, sometimes it is ignored.

Clue 3:
    Another twist added to the clues: While this object is not exactly portable, it is seen at various locations throughout the series.

Clue 4 (This should give it away):
    I'll just add on a bit to Clue 3. While this object is not exactly portable, it is seen at various locations throughout the series...or more specifically, throughout the ship.

Clue 5:
    To clarify Clue 1, while we sort of know what it does, we have to wonder why sometimes it's used and sometimes it's not. There's one specific episode where it's used in what could be considered an emergency situation.

Clue 6:
    This object doesn't work independently, it seems to have some control over another object, but not always.

3. ItsGreen

ItsGreen Captain Captain

waste disposal chute (conscience of King to dispose of overload phaser)
    "Alternative factor" doubles as High Voltage access door
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. Henoch

Henoch Glowing Globe Premium Member

How about this handy work console? It's been used just about everywhere on the ship (except the bridge)
    [​IMG]

5. MarsWeeps

Interesting...I didn't realize that the waste disposal chute was also used as the High Voltage door. But...incorrect answer.

Not the work console either.

I'm running out of clues....let's see if I can come up with another.

Clue 1:
    We see this used at various times throughout the series, although we aren't sure of its exact function and can only guess at what it does.

Clue 2:
    One reason we are confused about its function is because we see it in identical situations throughout the series, sometimes it is used, sometimes it is ignored.

Clue 3:
    Another twist added to the clues: While this object is not exactly portable, it is seen at various locations throughout the series.

Clue 4 (This should give it away):
    I'll just add on a bit to Clue 3. While this object is not exactly portable, it is seen at various locations throughout the series...or more specifically, throughout the ship.

Clue 5:
    To clarify Clue 1, while we sort of know what it does, we have to wonder why sometimes it's used and sometimes it's not. There's one specific episode where it's used in what could be considered an emergency situation.

Clue 6:
    This object doesn't work independently, it seems to have some control over another object, but not always.

Clue 7:
    The other object that this particular object sometimes controls, plays an important role on the ship and is used quite frequently.

6. Henoch

The turbolift control knob/handle?
    One time, Kirk needed to use it to control a freefall of the turbolift. Usually, it is just twisted and a voice command given. I assume there are many of the them on the ship since it supposedly has many turbolifts. Clue 3 uses the "twist" word in it, too.

Phaser Two and MarsWeeps like this.
  7. MarsWeeps

We have a winner!!! It is indeed the turbolift control handle...and you got the hidden clue "twist!" You explained some of the clues, I think the others are self explanatory now that we know the answer. If not, I can explain each one, at least to how I came up with them. Good job, you're up Henoch!

turbolift_handle.jpg

Methuselah Flint and Henoch like this.
  8. Henoch

1st Clue: One or Three, but not Two or Four or more.

9. ItsGreen

ItsGreen Captain Captain

1st move allowed (level number) on a Three-Dimensional chess board?

10. Spock's Barber

Wild guess...the stripes on the uniform sleeves :p

11. Henoch

No checkmate, yet. I think Spock has two strips, plus, Kirk had two strips in WNMHGB.

2nd Clue: Instead of getting smaller with technical advancement, the object visually got larger, or just disappeared.

12. Spock's Barber

Wild Guess, Part Deux....The Jefferies Tube

13. MarsWeeps

The viewers/monitors? They are small in The Cage and get larger in TOS (but disappeared from the Bridge). We see them with one screen and we see the conference room versions with three screens but never see them with two, four or more screens.

F5F637FF-F8D1-4DD3-AEA3-EB8E0EF10074.jpeg

357453FD-63E4-430A-8FB3-B4ADB4F790A0.jpeg 1977935C-609F-4B93-85B9-776B9A2FC43D.jpeg

Last edited: Jan 19, 2020
    Phaser Two likes this.
  14. Spock's Barber

Got it!!!

Shatner’s toupees!!!

:whistle:

15. Henoch

@MarsWeeps is on a roll. Correct, it's the desk/table top view-screens. You got the clues correctly, too. You're up, again.

16. MarsWeeps

This should be interesting....I can re-use some of my previous clues to describe an entirely different object. :)

Clue 1:
    We see this used at various times throughout the series. While its function is never mentioned on screen - we sort of know what function it's related to.

17. ItsGreen

ItsGreen Captain Captain

clear light up probe thing above sickbay beds?[​IMG]

18. MarsWeeps

Unbelievable! You nailed it in one guess! Looks like I won't have to re-use my clues after all. :techman:

Your turn!

ItsGreen and Phaser Two like this.
  19. ItsGreen

ItsGreen Captain Captain

Lucky guess, but I was thinking of that object before!

CLUE #1
    Seen in many episodes it seems to have no specific function!

Last edited: Jan 20, 2020
  20. ItsGreen

ItsGreen Captain Captain

No guesses... Is another clue needed?