Mystery Starfleet starship seen at Spacedock [BEWARE SPOILERS!]

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by saddestmoon, May 22, 2013.

1. saddestmoon

saddestmoon Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I only saw it in one camera shot.

The shot itself pans right to left, showing the shuttle having left earth (just after the scene in which Kirk meets Carol Marcus, and Spock gets Jealous...) and arriving at the Spacedock, basically settling on a view of the Enterprise (the movie image screencapture, in my first post).

My suggestion would be to look towards the bottom left corner of the camera / viewing frame as it pans right to left.

The red / brown starship emerges into frame towards the end of the shot, berthed at the dock in the background, and can be seen pretty much front on, tilted slighly upwards (from a low angle) and pointing towards viewers right side (hope that makes sense!). You can make out the three yellow-tipped bussards, on nacelles slung below the Primary saucer (from what I can recall).

When I first saw it, I got excited, as that was one of the things I was keeping an eye out for (new, unseen vessels).

It's got me very intrigued... :)

EDIT / UPDATE: Thanks for posting that, SalvorHardin! And there she is right there, in that image - great comparison!

Last edited: May 22, 2013
  2. bryce

bryce Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, we know from both TOS and DS9 that there are all-Vulcan crewed ships in both the 23rd and 24th centuries.

But I doubt that this is THE Excellsior NX-2000 - as this is still a decade or so before the Excellsior transwarp testbed was built in the Prime universe - so this is the equivelent of what ever Prime timeline Starfleet vessel was named "Excellsior" before the NX-2000 was built.

I would love to see some concept ideas for an Alternate Universe NX-2000 - but probably it won't look too much like the nuEnterprise - it will probably be the *next* generation of Starfleet design.

Maybe.

3. Norsehound

Norsehound Captain Captain

Excelsior was a starship name in the Franz Joseph ship registries from the Star Trek technical manual (NCC-1718, Constitution class)... it's not hard to believe there's an Excelsior before NX-2000 was commissioned.

I myself wonder if the Vengeance is NX-2000 of this universe.

Last edited: May 24, 2013
  4. SpHeRe31459

SpHeRe31459 Captain Captain

That ship also looks like it could be a Miranda class of the new universe, which could make that ship the USS Reliant in a further TWOK nod by the film makers.

5. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Way, waaaaay back in the 1975 Star Fleet Technical Manual, there was a listing for a Bonhomme Richard-class (slightly modified Constitution-class) USS Excelsior NCC-1718. I'd imagine this USS Excelsior is the AU equivalent of THAT ship, a predecessor to the Excelsior NX-2000 seen in STIII.

6. yenny

yenny Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Besides the Enterprise and the starship that the op seen. I see another starship in the same screencap. You can see it nacelles. It's below and port of the Enterprise, almost about center of bottom of screencap.

7. Belz...

Belz... Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.
    Well that's interesting. It's odd that this ship, which is not a unique design at all, is of a completely different colour. I don't remember seeing it in the previous movie although I did find the coloring on the chart odd. I didn't think it was actually that colour. Maybe it's a diplomatic vessel or something.

8. saddestmoon

Great spotting :) I hadn't noticed that one, but can see it now as well!

:) Sharp eyes!

9. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I believe it's this one
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. saddestmoon

Yeah -the colour is the interesting thing for me as well. It seems so specific, and goes against the majority of gray / white schemes used by the majority of other NuTrek starfleet vessels (that have been seen thus far).

I was also wondering about the possibility of it belonging to any of the other Starfleet Admirals / captains that were present at the emergency meeting, when Harrison turned up guns blazing...

11. saddestmoon

Thanks again, SalvorHardin, for providing those awesome screengrabs! Is that a Newton-Class starship?

:)

12. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It looks that way.

13. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

When I saw that ship in the movie, I thought it had newer nacelles. I see now that it doesn't; it's just that the bussards glow blue instead of red.

14. Norsehound

Norsehound Captain Captain

Same. I thought that was an older ship sporting nacelles from the Enterprise, because of the blue color.

Seems like Blue is the low-power state for the older nacelles? Or this one just has a different inner glow?

15. Belz...

Belz... Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.
    It's just another ship like the Newton. Slight edit on the front end of the nacelles, that's all.