My "Just Saw Insurrection For the First Time" Review.

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by Dale Sams, Jan 7, 2013.

1. Lance

Lance Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I just thought of something: in that third season episode where Picard is replaced by a doppelganger, the thing which makes Riker twig that he isn't really Picard is that he leads Ten Forward in a rousing sing-along... something he knows the Captain would never do. Surely when Picard says "Do you know the words of HMS Pinafore?", Worf should be unholstering his phaser and asking "Who are you and what have you done with the Captain"? ;)

2. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

Clearly Picard was already being affected by the rings.

3. M.A.C.O.

M.A.C.O. Commodore Commodore

^ lmao

Movie Picard ≠ Show Picard

Just like Movie Worf ≠ to Show Worf
    Worf would kill Picard over and insult (FC) but is terrified of Sisko (DS9).

4. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Why do I see a difference between a rousing sing-along in Ten Forward which he never ever did before, and to sing one song where he explains that it will divert the attention of the android they're trying to catch?

Besides that, Picard has been shown to grow as a character. In the final episode of TNG, he joins the Poker game for the very first time ever. Over the course of the show, he started to like and get along with children. And more of that stuff.

5. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

Pretty sure Lance was being facetious.

6. JediKnightButler

JediKnightButler Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

INS was a letdown after the fantastic FC. I didn't like how they essentially regressed Data after his development in the previous 2 movies (what's the deal with his emotion chip, anyway? It can be removed now?), I didn't really like some of the corny jokes (i.e. boobs) and I just didn't think that it lived up to its title as the Admiral was clearly in the wrong and, apparently he wasn't entirely operating with full sanction and was easily overridden by the Fed Council, so it wasn't like the crew took any huge risks in defying him- aside from the fact that they were in a fairly remote part of space at the time. Not to mention, the Son'a were mostly just a bunch of goons and didn't make particularly memorable villians (though it would have been interesting to explore their ties to the Dominion in DS9). I will say, though, that it was still mostly enjoyable. I loved the space battle at the end and the dialogue was mostly o.k. I liked the debate between Picard and Dougherty. Another thing that I liked was that they kept the "changes" that happened to the crew. Riker and Troi got back together (and got married in the next movie) and Geordi kept his eyes. Ultimately, it just didn't add up to much though but like with most of the Trek films I'm usually able to enjoy some of the better stuff and weed out some of the other stuff

7. sonak

sonak Vice Admiral Admiral

in a figment of a mediocre mind's imagination

the admiral was "clearly in the wrong," eh? I guess all those debates on this forum about INS and the premise can just be forgotten now, thanks!;)

8. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Admiral

The only thing the movie alludes to is that the relocation was being reviewed not halted.

If six hundred people are sitting on a cure for cancer, I'd move them in a heartbeat.

9. Peach Wookiee

Peach Wookiee Cuddly Mod of Doom Moderator

Worf is "intimidated" by Sisko, not terrified. Sisko has a different aura than Picard, I think.

10. sonak

yes, his chakras are definitely more negatively aligned.

11. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

I find sanctimoniously pointing fingers at Phlox and then turning around and condoning kidnapping to be extremely hypocritical, if not a bit disingenuous.

12. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

Interesting view, my take from the movie was that the Admiral was acting under direct orders from the Federation Council.

13. BillJ

Its entirely consistent though. I believe in intervention in both cases. One, that the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few. Two, that the physical evidence that the Valakians need to die for the Menk to evolve simply doesn't exist in the episode itself.

I believe in actually examining the facts of each case and not clouding my reasoning with religious dogma. YMMV.

14. sonak

I was going to respond, considering my views are the same as BillJ's on both questions, but then this post put it well, so why bother?

At any rate, it just seems pretty arbitrary to compare those two scenarios since they're nothing alike. One is a "property rights of a few vs. the well-being of many" scenario and the other is a "mad doctor uses pseudoscience to justify letting millions die" scenario.

15. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't have the Blu-Ray. But even the special edition DVD didn't have any audio commentaries

16. BillJ

Finally broke out the Blu-ray of Insurrection. Might have been a stronger movie if they had left a couple of these scenes in, maybe not stronger but more likable.

17. BillJ

Still trying to figure out why everyone thinks the Frakes/Sirtis commentary is so great. Sirtis sounds like she's on painkillers. Though she explains the Ba'ku being white as they're all of Swedish descent.

Sad that after all these years my favorites part is still the Gilbert & Sullivan scenes.

18. BillJ

Frakes compares the Ba'ku children to Iraqis living under Saddam's rule. Don't think he likes the film very much. :guffaw:

19. JediKnightButler

I thought that INS actually was fairly decent. A letdown after the superb FC but it ended up appearing MUCH better in retrospect than NEM, the movie that it preceded. I could buy INS as a *real* TNG story, albeit a weak one IMHO. NEM was..........something else:confused:.

20. JediKnightButler

Yeah, he might well have been acting with the authority of the Federation Council but it seemed awfully easy for Riker, et. al to change their minds when they discovered the truth of the situation. It makes me wonder whether or not the Federation Council actually knew everything about the operation and/or would have approved of it if they knew everything that Picard, et. al discovered.