My Journey toward a life of Vegetarianism

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Kenbushway, Jun 3, 2014.

1. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

That looks really good. I think I'm going to give that a try. Thanks for the idea. :techman:

2. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Do it!

3. teacake

I am eating this now.

Stir fry broccoli and snake beans until aldente. I dry fry them and then add some water when they are hot. Add rooster sauce, stir around a bit more. Add yellow capsicums, toss briefly. Turn off heat, add sesame oil and thai basil.

Daikon strips on top. Under ten minute meal. You can't tell but it's actually a massive bowl of vegies :D

[​IMG]

4. thestrangequark

thestrangequark Admiral Admiral

Both of those meals look delicious. I love daikon, especially in soups. It's really nice in a white bean veggie soup I make.

This is my dinner today. The sandwich is smoked tofu, onion, cucumber, arugula, and mustard on toasted wheat bread, and there are homemade sweet potato fries and zucchini spears on the side. The bread isn not in fact enormous, the plate is just small :) :

[​IMG]

5. teacake

I adore zucchini, though everyone else in my family which includes vegetarians HATES it!

So I just buy the tenderest, nicest little zucchinis for me :D

That looks yum. I haven't had smoked tofu, is it good? I used to use tempeh a bit but have given up on the foodie tofus and just buy big slabs or buckets of it from chinese stores.

6. Taylirious

Taylirious Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

What do you do when you crave meat? I have tried and failed. Ugh.

7. thestrangequark

I'm not a fan of tempeh. I'll order it in a restaurant after it's been cooked into something else, or eat it if one of my vegan sisters makes it, but on its own it just looks too exactly like what it is...rotten. It puts me off a bit. The smoked tofu is great because it's the firmest and driest there is as well as being super flavorful. It slices easy and holds it's shape, so you can do like I did today and just slice it cold onto a sandwich, or you can cube it into a salad, fry it, anything. It's more pricy but it's a lot less effort -- and while I like to cook, there is a balance between the Joy of Cooking, and total laziness that must be maintained.

[​IMG]

See? SO EASY!

I eat it. I'm not actually a vegetarian. :)

Though I was raised in a family with a lot of vegetarians and vegans, my sisters and their families are still vegan (with the exception of my brother-in-law, who is an omnivore). I was a vegetarian for several years, and it's my default position just because it's so much cheaper, healthier, and easier than eating meat. I do eat meat on occasion though, probably working out to four or five times a year, and often in restaurants (or if I get a real hankering for Turkey Jerky). I tend towards seafood, but I have a steak once a year when I visit my mom -- she cooks us a fancy surf and turf just for me and her -- and I actually make a mouth-watering tuna steak and some fairly good shrimp dishes myself (shrimp are basically insects, though, if I did toe the veggie morality line I'd draw that bitch at shrimp).

As for cravings, my little sister went completely vegan about ten years ago. She said at first it was hard and she still craved things like cheeses and ice creams, but the combination of time and better vegan options made it easier for her. Recently she told me that the only thing she still occasionally craves is real eggs -- that there is just something about the texture of a fried egg that can't be replicated without the actual egg. My general rule for cravings is this: Just try to remember that the craving will go away whether or not you have what you crave. (I get cravings for sugary treats like cakes and cookies far more often than would be reasonable to indulge.)

8. teacake

I am utterly omnivorous.

But I grew up in a poor, hippyish eat these lentils and sprouts family and that way of cooking is my default natural way. Also I love vegetables.

The smoked tofu looks awesome, I will have to see if we have it here. As far as tempeh being rot, I think the word you want is fermented? I dunno. At least it is not natto <-- do NOT look at this page if squeamish. Which I would totally try because, adventure.

Fermented is a huge plus for me, I love fermented anything.

9. Amaris

Amaris Guest

I like zucchini bread.

10. teacake

Yeah :techman:

Just grate zucchini and put it in everything. In spaghetti sauces, in frittatas, in cookies, in cakes, in MUFFINS!!!!!! WITH RED PEPPER!!!!!!!!!!! AND CHEESE!!!!!!!!!!

They excite me.

11. Taylirious

I didn't plant zucchini. :confused:

12. teacake

Sometimes they are super cheap or someone who DID plant zucchinni has waaaay too many and foists them on you.

13. Taylirious

It seems they put zucchini in all the frozen veggie stuff I buy.

14. teacake

I'm fantasizing about the 2 zucchinnis I'm going to eat tonight. They are in the fridge waiting for me. I'm going to cut them in chunks and tenderly brown them but they will still be relatively uncooked.

15. thestrangequark

Ah fermented, another word for "rotten". :D

Hehe. I do actually like a lot of fermented stuff (kimchee is amazing). And yeah, I know of natto, and while I'm fairly adventurous when it comes to food, I just couldn't...not ever...ever.

16. Amaris

Amaris Guest

Mmm....

Anyhoo, to answer TayLaLaLa's earlier question, when I crave meat, which still happens on rare occasion, I just eat a favorite food, like chickpea salad, or some garlic hummus and pretzels. The consistency and flavorful zest removes the need to eat any meat, since what I'm craving isn't so much the meat itself, but the flavorful herbs that are used to prepare it.

Seriously, think about when you want a juicy steak. You don't just want the meat, you want everything that went into it, including the herbs, the smoke flavoring, the heat, the fun times around the grill. That's why it can push so strongly against someone who has become a vegetarian later in life. So I combat it with flavorful and enjoyable meals of my own. That is how I solve the problem. Your mileage may vary, of course. ;)

The descriptors in that article don't help. :lol:
    Still, I could eat it. It really reminds me more of soybeans in yogurt. Plus, cheese is just fermented milk, and I could consume half a pound of cheese without even thinking. In fact, I was fine with the idea of natto until the article fused the idea of it with mucus, so thanks, article, I really appreciate that. :p

17. teacake

It's because in some cuisines the slimy texture is just fine, desirable even. You do get this in okra which some people eat that way in the US.

18. Amaris

Amaris Guest

Yeah, okra does have a slimy texture when cooked. I'm not a big fan of okra.

19. Pondwater

Pondwater Vice Admiral Admiral

I love Okra!! Slimy or not.

As far as the meat question: I'm the same as TSQ. And Kim Chee is the Bomb. :techman: Well... In more ways than one.

20. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

My son's just discovered okra curry.

We're having it twice a week, which is just fine by me !