My Journey toward a life of Vegetarianism

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Kenbushway, Jun 3, 2014.

1. Kenbushway

Kenbushway Captain Captain

Thank you for the suggestions, using leftovers will definitely be something I employ. I have a slow cooker so I can do those rice ideas. The toast idea sounds absolutely delicious, I love fried mushrooms.

2. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Good! Yeah fried mushrooms are great at any stage of the frying! They are so diverse, I like them just cut in half and chunky. Also you can sprinkle a small amount of any herb or spice you have whether fresh or dried as you cook them, they take up with anything beautifully. Basil, paprika, chillie.. soy sauce.. squirt some lemon on them when done too. They are very versatile for really different tastes.

3. Kenbushway

I found a recipe a while back with mushrooms like you describe, you might like it.

http://www.bakeatmidnite.com/2013/07/pate-avec-champignons-et-basilic.html

4. Mary Ann

Mary Ann Knitting is honourable Admiral

If toast isn't filling for you you're eating the wrong bread. If artisan bread is too expensive for you make your own, especially wholemeal. While homemade bread takes several hours to rise the actual effort involved (mixing ingredients, kneading and such) is less than 20 minutes once you master the process. Standard store-bought bread is absolute crap. If at all possible it's worth the effort to make your own, not just because it's far more healthy but because it's far more substantial and filling.

5. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm totally on the journey towards vegetarianism. The only meat I eat is what's on the menu when I'm at work. At home, I live with a vegetarian so we never have any meat our meals there.

I think I would limit it to simply not eating meat though. I like my milk and eggs and whilst I'd cut out certain animal ingredients from various products (anything tested on animals is already a no-no) I'm not spending my life reading all the small print on every label.

6. teacake

J. Allen I've been meaning to ask you how it helped your blood sugar going veg. Do you think the meat itself had something specifically to do with it or is it the overall improvement of diet and emphasis on eating more natural foods?

And thanks for the recipe Kenbushway. I often add mushrooms to pastas, bit of olive oil, cracked pepper bang perfect.

Here's some pics of mushrooms I took at my local asian supermarket. My favorites are the enoki ones which aren't in the pics though.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Kenbushway

I've seen artisan bread loafs at my Kroger what is the best kind for a breakfast? I can incorporate that into the recipe given to me by teacake.

:drool::drool: wow yeah that put Kroger's whole mushroom section to shame, all I get for choices is portobello and white cap.

8. teacake

Just buy the heaviest, darkest, seediest bread you can find. Especially the heavy part. If it is a small loaf and you think you might kill someone if you throw it at their head it's good.

btw I am super glad we have a veg thread again. I'm not veg but I do like talking about food and I do eat and cook a lot of veg food because I was raised eating lentil soup and tofu and millet. So it comes naturally to me. I am going to spam up this thread with photos of vegetables and my overly simple meals.

9. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

While not eating meat probably greatly improved my cholesterol and fat numbers, I believe it was the closer scrutiny I paid toward the food I was eating that brought the other numbers down.

Plus, and this is just from my own experiences, I eat far, far less take-out food than I did before, because most restaurants don't have a respectable vegetarian menu, and by "respectable" I mean "edible." Seriously, when your choices are "side salad," and "french fries," you start finding healthier options at home.

10. Kenbushway

Please do. It would only add to the thread and it would help anyone who may be turning into the direction I am. I say put down any recipes you have people, please. Put down the veg meal you had whether it was breakfast or dinner or even a snack. I don't have a camera but I will record some good recipes I find here. Thank you teacake you've been extraordinarily helpful.

11. teacake

Well that's a first for me!

aaaaaaahahaha about to make a "snack", will post photo.

12. teacake

Here is my snack. It is two yellow capsicums (bell peppers) chopped up with chinese vinegar on them and 3 drops of sesame oil. It is totally delicious.

I am going to eat my orange food and watch Orange is the New Black :D

[​IMG]

13. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

Mmmm... that looks good!

14. Kenbushway

I did a meal just out of the blew. I had some frozen vegetables, carrots, broccoli, onion, potato, red pepper. I mixed together 4tbs extra virgin olive oil and added dry parsley, rosemary, thyme (not grounded) 1 tsp each. and heated that up real nice. Then I sauteed the vegetables and added some brown rice on the side.

15. thestrangequark

thestrangequark Admiral Admiral

This is for you teacake, my huge pre-workout salad: green bell pepper, cucumber, white onion, celery, chickpeas, and grapes on a bed of baby spinach with a dash of oil and vinegar and feta crumbled on top. Some sugar, protein, fat, and tons of hydration to fuel the three hour bike ride this evening. Not vegan, but some vegan cheese would do the trick. I had a really good vegan feta made from walnuts once.

[​IMG]

16. teacake

That looks delicious!!! I would probably leave out the onions because raw ones give me a headache for some reason.. though they are delicious.

17. Taylirious

Taylirious Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I was gonna start my journey to FEARLESS! :adore:

Actually I am doing a week long cleanse.

18. Tora Ziyal

Tora Ziyal Vice Admiral Admiral

You were asking about breakfast... My standby when I was still working was a spoonful or two of peanut butter or almond and a piece of fruit. Or some baby carrots, if I'd run out of fruit.

TSQ, that salad looks wonderful! I love chickpeas.

19. teacake

I am totally boring, I eat the same thing for breakfast every day. Couple large spoons of plain yogurt and 3/4 of a cup of original All Bran. I can't eat sweet stuff or big breakfasts, does my head in with the sugars. If I had to eat pancakes for breakfast I would be a write off for hours.

I am eating this now.

[​IMG][/url]

20. Taylirious

Taylirious Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Looks better than my shake! :)