My gripes with Asian casting and character naming in Paramount+ Trek

What? We're talking about being able to communicate without a universal translator.

I was speaking generally this time, not specifically about translators.

I'm saying that in a plausible depiction of Starfleet, the personnel would be trained to do things for themselves when the technology fails.

Absolutely. But if I need to do something faster/better than I can manually, or I will fail, that's when we enter "miracle"/deus ex machina territory if I somehow don't fail.

Absolutely. But if I need to do something faster/better than I can manually, or I will fail, that's when we enter "miracle"/deus ex machina territory if I somehow don't fail.

That's... not what we're talking about. Defining the question as "if this happens in the story, then we're stuck with it" is coming at it the wrong way around. Writers decide what's in the story. They're never stuck with it, because they can always reject it and do something else instead. And there are plenty of ways a writer can create a challenging yet soluble obstacle for the characters without sacrificing everyday common sense by making them incapable of coping with technology failure.

Actually, the Phylosians called their translation devices "voders." And their actually is a device called a voder.

I know, but I think of that as a subset of the more general category of vocoder.

And if the producers of SNW wanted an Asian transporter chief, then why didn't they just make him Pitcairn's assistant from "The Cage"? And make the name he was given by Peter David and Greg Cox ("Sam Yamata") canonical?

Who says they started with wanting an Asian chief? It's more likely they just decided they wanted Kyle, then cast the role without regard to ethnicity. (Or accent.)

And if the producers of SNW wanted an Asian transporter chief, then why didn't they just make him Pitcairn's assistant from "The Cage"? And make the name he was given by Peter David and Greg Cox ("Sam Yamata") canonical?
Or...and I know this is crazy...they cast whom they felt was the best actor for the role. And the actor does a good job, and I have enjoyed him in my current rewatch.

Or maybe they just wanted to use the name "Kyle" for the same reason they named the navigator Jenna Mitchell, even though she's obviously not supposed to be the same person as navigator Gary Mitchell. I don't know what that reason might be, but if they did it once, they could do it twice.

Reactions: Sci
They're not going to do some body-swapping accident that is now permanent hand-waving about it, are they?

I think speculating about that makes about as much sense as speculating about epileptic trees. It's a different character with the same name as a tribute, but it's not meant to be the same character. No big deal.

I think speculating about that makes about as much sense as speculating about epileptic trees. It's a different character with the same name as a tribute, but it's not meant to be the same character. No big deal.

Or, like April, it's the same character played by an actor who happens to be a different ethnicity, because fictional characters are not real and are merely being interpreted by performers.

I mean, nobody objects to Kelvin Kirk and McCoy having different eye colors than the Prime versions, or Kelvin Uhura being significantly taller and more slender than Prime Uhura, or Kelvin Sulu being a tenor instead of a baritone. Or Jimmy Olsen almost always being played by brown-haired or blond actors instead of redheads. It's arbitrary the way society conditions us to think that skin color or facial structure is an overridingly important difference while eye color or height is a trivial one.

Just thought I'd post this here:
https://twitter.com/stats_feed/status/1669277081274839046

The most common last name:
Argentina → Gonzalez
Australia → Smith
Bangladesh → Akter
Brazil → Da Silva
Canada → Smith
China → Wang
Egypt → Mohamed
Ethiopia → Tesfaye
France → Martin
Germany → Muller
India → Kumar
Indonesia → Sari
Iraq → Mohamed
Ireland → Murphy
Japan→ Sato
Jordan → Allah
Kazakhstan → Akhmetov
Mexico → Hernandez
Netherlands → De Jong
Nigeria → Musa
North Korea → Kim
Oman → Al Balushi
Pakistan → Ahmad
Palestine → Awad
Philippines → Dela Cruz
Portugal→ Silva
Romania → Popa
Russia → Ivanova
Saudi Arabia → Khan
South Africa → Nkosi
South Korea → Kim
Spain -Garcia
Sri Lanka → Perera
Sweden → Andersson
Turkey → Yilmaz
United Arab Emirates → Ali
United Kingdom → Smith
United States → Smith
Vietnam → Nguyen
Zimbabwe → Moyo

Most Popular First Names In The World:
Mohammed - 133,349,300
Maria - 61,134,526
Nushi - 55,898,624
Jose - 29,946,427
Wei - 17,145,807
Ahmed - 14,916,476
Yan - 14,793,356
Ali - 14,763,733
John - 14,323,797
David - 13,429,576
Li - 13,166,162
Abdul - 12,163,978
Ana - 12,091,132
Ying - 12,047,080
Michael - 11,471,765
Juan - 11,372,603
Anna - 11,350,336
Mary - 11,303,767
Jean - 11,024,162
Robert - 10,170,794
Daniel - 10,026,181
Luis - 9,757,245
Carlos - 9,618,779
James - 8,807,695
Antonio - 8,659,274
Joseph - 8,630,833
Hui - 8,516,339

Fascinating...there are a few familiar Trek names here.

Last edited:
Names from these lists mentioned in Trek (to my knowledge)

Last names - Smith, Kim, Sato, Khan

First names -Jose, John, David, Michael, Anna, Mary, Jean, Robert, Daniel, James and Joseph.

Did I miss any?

Last edited:
Look at all these actors of West Asian, South Asian, and East Asian ancestry and the characters whom they portray in Star Trek: Discovery and Star Trek: Strange New Worlds. Notice any particular trend with those names?

Michelle Yeoh plays Captain Philippa Georgiou
Patrick Kwok-Choon plays Lieutenant Gen Rhys
Ali Momen plays Lieutenant Kamran Gant
Rekha Sharma plays Commander Ellen Landry
Shazad Latif plays Lieutenant Ash Tyler
Oded Fehr plays Fleet Admiral Charles Vance
Christina Chong plays Lieutenant La'an Noonien-Singh
André Dae Kim plays Chief Kyle
Rong Fu plays Lieutenant Jenna Mitchell
Jennifer Hui plays Ensign Christina
Shawn Ahmed plays Ensign Shankar

It's like Kurtzman's Paramount+ team goes out of their way to assign roles with plausibly White (American) names to actors of Asian ancestry ...
A good point, and one that probably shows the way unconscious biases can persist, even when trying to be inclusive, simply because the nature of unconscious biases is that we're unaware of them. When people from a society dominated by the descendants of white Europeans try to come up with a name that sounds "neutral," they're likely to come up with names like Landry, Mitchell and Vance.

There may also be some unfortunate implications here: in the U.S., people of western European descent and people of African descent are largely indistinguishable from each other by surname. Most African American people have surnames that originated in England, Scotland, Germany, the Netherlands etc., and of course that's because their ancestors' family identities were erased by force and they were made to assume the names of the people who enslaved them. Is Trek inadvertently implying this same forced erasure of family identity for AAPI people?

Of course, it does make sense that in 200 years, it would become harder to guess someone's ethnic background by their name. But it does seem odd that it only goes one way.

Back