My DS9 Rewatch Odyssey

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by ananta, Jan 5, 2021.

1. dupersuper

dupersuper Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Only one episode left. After than maybe What We Left Behind? Some of the novels and comics? Star Trek Online?

I'd agree it was the worst mistep of that season, but that was also the season that had the senior staff include some one in a meeting to help plan to capture some one they thought at the time was a future version of that person, the Enterprise redesign (which wasn't bad, but you'll never convince me it was needed), the silly "no one will discuss Discovery again...under penalty of torture" ending...

2. Trekker09

Trekker09 Captain Captain

Trouble is, DS9 has a way of spoiling the viewer for any other series! :wah:

kkt, ananta, FanST and 1 other person like this.
  3. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

^It certainly made the way VOY ended pale by comparison. :/

ananta and FanST like this.
  4. oldtrekkie

oldtrekkie Captain Red Shirt

Well, let's not be too negative. There are quite a few things in Voyager that make it worth watching and worth commenting on. The Doctor for example is a very good character along with seven (bringing her along for the ride was one of the writer's better ideas) keeping Kim on the other hand, one of the worst.

5. ananta

ananta Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

“WHAT YOU LEAVE BEHIND”

DS9’s opening credits in some other alternate universe...and I kind of wish I lived there.

[​IMG]
    “Um, Colonel, I hate to say this, but I think your boyfriend might be a bit of a link pest.”
    “Yeah, he never misses an opportunity to get down and linky, does he? Even in situations like this, which, let’s face it, require first degree beer goggles.”
    “Maybe there’s some kind of link addicts anonymous group he can join?”

I can’t believe 22 years have passed since this episode aired. I grew up with this show and these characters and, as a result, DS9 has a place in my heart like no other Trek series. I was sad when it ended; far more so than when TNG bade the small screen farewell—I guess partly because it made the immediate transition to the big screen because and, although it was my first entry point of Star Trek, I was never as attached to its characters. DS9’s ending had a sense of finality to it, and that seemed appropriate in many respects. Although I’m still sad that while TNG and VOYAGER characters have been resurrected for certain new Star Trek productions these past couple of years, DS9 has been all but forgotten (aside, alas, for Section 31). That’s in spite of the fact the show has aged far better than ANY of the Trek shows of its era. In many ways, DS9 was one of the frontrunners of a whole new style and era of television, although it rarely gets the credit it deserves.

Anyway, I’m getting ahead of myself! I could write a whole essay about DS9’s place in the Trek franchise and television history, but this is simply a review of the series finale. The question here is, after seven years of brilliant storytelling and superb characterisation, how well does the show end?

I have to say that while I do have some issues with “What You Leave Behind”—including some particularly annoying flaws that could easily have been resolved by subtle tweaking—as a whole, this was a solid way for the show to bow out. Expectations were high and there was a LOT to deal with in these ninety minutes, but, for the most part, it’s a satisfying resolution to DS9’s increasingly ambitious long-form storytelling. Most importantly, it provides great closure for the characters, even if some inevitably get lost in the shuffle.

The main storyline hanging over us is, of course, the Dominion War which has, for two years now, ravaged the Alpha Quadrant (and presumably the Beta Quadrant, too, although they rarely get a mention!). This is undoubtedly the most ambitious storyline Star Trek ever attempted and it has generally been a triumph. The build up through seasons three, four and five gave DS9 its peak years, and the six-episode arc that kicked off the sixth season was a triumph and one of the show’s greatest creative accomplishments. Unfortunately, however, it also seemed to burn out the show’s creative staff. Between the early sixth season and late seventh season, the show’s narrative often felt unfocused and fitful, as though the writers didn’t really have a clear plan what to do with the war storyline once they’d set it up. It’s served as the backdrop for some stunning episodes, but it also meandered at times and it’s only really been the last ten episodes that we again felt a sense of focus and coherent progression.

The climax to the war arc doesn’t contain a whole lot of surprises. We get the expected space battles—which are, unfortunately, a little disappointing due to the copious use of past special effects sequences, (including, most egregiously, a shot of Garak sheltering from an explosion which was taken from the previous episode—and Garak obviously can’t have been on any of those exploding ships!). I get the sense the producers found themselves without the budget they really needed and it does, sadly, show. Not all of the new special effects sequences are as well staged as they could have been (the “GoPro” type shots of the Defiant and Cardassian vessels didn’t really work for me), although there are some spectacular moments, such as the shot of the enemy fleet in orbit of Cardassia. I kind of suspected that the war would be resolved by Odo making the female Founder see sense and resolving to return to the Great Link. I also guessed that Damar would die at some point. You see, even though he had embarked on a remarkable path to redemption, his previous murder of Ziyal meant he had to pay some kind of dramatic retribution.

In spite of a certain degree of predictability, it’s executed with great aplomb. Allan Kroeker again proves why he’s perhaps the show’s most skilled director and he always manages to keep things moving at a brisk pace and really knows how to craft a sense of tension and atmosphere. The script, by showrunner Ira Behr and his writing partner Hans Beimler, is fine, if at times lacking in finesse. The build up to the battle features a few too many lines such as “It’s time we end this war” which is basically writers’ code for saying “we’re running out of time and have to wrap this up quick!” Wars rarely, if ever, end just because we decide to end them. In some ways, I actually wish the writers had ended the war sooner and given us some time to explore the aftermath. Anyway, there are a couple of things that feel just a little too coincidental or easy, such as the way the Cardassians all manage to turn on the Dominion at more or less exactly the same moment. Was someone coordinating that or was it just chance that every Cardassian everywhere happened to switch sides at the same time?

Nevertheless, one of the episode’s greatest triumphs is the way it deals with Cardassia’s fate. Man, do they SUFFER for having betrayed the Alpha Quadrant and aligned themselves with the Dominion! Dukat’s ultimate legacy has nothing to do with the Pah-wraiths, but the desolation of Cardassia after the Dominion rains down hellfire and attempts to slaughter as much of the population as they can. It’s grim viewing and, as the characters note more than once, strangely appropriate given that, when the series started, they had basically just done the same thing to Bajor.

If this final ten episode arc has any one theme, I’d say it’s karma, or cause and effect, both at an individual and collective, societal level. The writers certainly don’t shy away from consequences; and consequences abound throughout this finale. I found the closing exchange between Garak and Bashir one of the highlights of the episode. It’s the first time we’ve really seen the pair together in a couple of seasons, which is sad given the obvious chemistry between Alexander Siddig and Andrew Robinson, but it’s a brilliant and heart-rending farewell to Garak, who has finally ended his exile only to return to a graveyard of a planet. Robinson is stunning in this short, potent scene, and his final words, “We live in uncertain times” are perfect and so true of life in general.

I have to say that Salome Jens deserves high praise as one of the most chilling and ruthless villains Star Trek has ever seen. Indeed, for all that Khan gets the acclaim (and, indeed, the endless imitation in the various latter-day Trek films), the female Founder is a far more complex, fascinating and utterly terrifying villain. Her ice cold order to exterminate the entire planet still freezes my heart all these years later. While some might feel that Odo managed to placate her too easily, it nevertheless works for me, because it’s already been demonstrated that the Link can cause profound changes and shifts in perspective, as we saw with Odo himself back in “Between the Lines”. Furthermore, the Founder herself once told Weyoun that she would give up the entire Alpha Quadrant just to have Odo back, and that’s basically what happens here.

It works, although I do have reservations. I love the fact that Odo is able to cure the Founders, and that his ability to do so is what ends the war. Whereas Section 31 thought they would win the war by doing the unspeakable—committing genocide—Odo proves himself one of the most “human” of all the show’s characters by insisting that it’s by sharing the cure—by healing and cooperation—that peace can be found. For all that DS9 has challenged and dismantled Roddenberry’s Utopianism, how Star Trek is THAT?

It doesn’t come as a surprise to me that Odo ends the series by returning to his people. In fact, it seems like a logical end to his arc. However, the way it’s done doesn’t quite work for me. The fact is, there’s no real reason why he can’t come back after he’s cured his people. He says that he has to stay with them so they can learn to trust the solids. I suppose that’s fair enough, except for two things.

Firstly, why does that necessitate him staying with them permanently? As we saw when he linked with the female Founder, Changelings can exchange information and facilitate entire paradigm shifts, as Odo does with her, in mere seconds.

Secondly, how likely is Odo to get the Changelings to “trust” solids when they learn that it was actually the solids that created and infected them with the disease in the first place—that they were intent on facilitating the genocide of their race? Awkward. This twist would have worked MUCH better for me if the condition of the Founder’s surrender had been that Odo HAD to return to the Link for good. That, in fact, is my head cannon as it makes for a real sacrifice on Odo’s part, rather than him simply deciding that he and Kira had a good run but it was time for him to enjoy sweet luscious linky long-time. That said, when it does come for Kira and Odo to part, it’s so beautifully performed and shot that it is genuinely heartbreaking. More on that in a bit.

In general, I think the resolution of the war storyline works pretty well. It feels momentous and there’s certainly enough of a sense that it cost both sides substantially. It’s great to see Martok, Sisko and Ross stand in the halls of Cardassia’s Central Command, only for the latter two to find no cause for celebration in the midst of such carnage. Indeed, there are no winners in war, and that is made amply clear. As a side note, I did have to wonder when I saw the female Changeling signing the peace treaty—what the heck did she sign her name as? Most of the Cardassia scenes work well, although the Breen continue to annoy me every single time they have a “speaking” part. I did enjoy the relationship between the Founder and Weyoun, the latter of whom meets a sticky end by unwisely gloating to Garak about the devastation they’ve caused on Cardassia—a diplomatic faux pas that deservedly costs him his life. Alas, there are a substantial number of secondary characters that bite the dust and there’s no time to dwell on their losses, for the plot immediately moves on each time.

Now I’m going to discuss the episode’s secondary plot: the much lamented pah-wraith showdown in the fire caves. I’m actually a lot less offended by the pah-wraiths than most. Actually, I love the idea of feuding “gods” and the way they’ve manipulated these foolish mortals in a bid to turn the key and be set free from their dimensional prison. It’s given us some fantastically compelling drama so far between Dukat and Winn, although, sadly, the best is behind us.

The resolution here is pretty weak even if it does serve its purpose. The number one problem I have with it, and my biggest complaint about the episode, is the seriously WONKY sense of timing. Structurally, the scenes in the fire caves should have been kept until later in the episode rather being interwoven from the first act onward. Why? Because the fire cave scenes clearly take place in a matter of hours, whereas the attack on Cardassia and the end of the war obviously takes places over days, if not weeks. First of all, how long does it even take to travel to Cardassia to begin with? It takes three or four hours just to travel to Bajor, so it must take at least a day or two to get to Cardassia...especially if you’re having to fight through an armada to get there. Yet, by midway through the battle, Winn and Dukat reach their destination, Winn poisons Dukat (which is a wonderful, devilish twist which I always forget about) and then stands chanting...for what evidently must be DAYS!

It makes no sense. The timing is also off when Dukat is resurrected and Sisko has his Jedi-moment where he realises he has to head to the fire caves. Again, it takes three hours for a runabout to reach Bajor, yet it’s clear that only moments have passed in the fire caves by the time Sisko gets there. This would have actually worked better if the Prophets had used some kind of magic to instantaneously transport Sisko to the fire caves. The timing is just horribly off, and it could have been easily avoided. All they needed to do was re-edit the scenes and hold most of the fire cave action until Sisko and crew were at least back on the station. Yes, it would have altered the pace and structure of the episode, but that is a necessary sacrifice for coherence and internal consistency. I’m frankly amazed the producers or director didn’t notice this problem. I recall reading that the writing of the finale was somewhat rushed and it does frankly show at times.

Alas, when Sisko does reach the fire caves, the confrontation with Dukat is an anticlimactic misfire which descends into camp overdrive. While, on one hand, it somewhat recalls Kirk’s duel with Gary Mitchell in the second TOS pilot “Where No Man Has Gone Before”, it’s nowhere near as effective. Indeed, this is just a few notches away from 60’s Batman-type shenanigans. Dukat, who is evidently either an reanimated cadaver or again possessed by the pah-wraiths, is just a moustache-twirling supervillain caricature here with nothing interesting to say other than some cheesy gloating. He and Sisko have a banal shouting match, with Avery Brooks unfortunately briefly slipping into histrionic mode (“Who’s going to stop me?” “I aaaahhhhhmmmmm”)—and accidentally breaking Marc Alaimo’s nose to boot (each time I see and hear that punch I wince!). I do like that Winn kind of redeemed herself before being burned to a cinder, but, really, the whole sequence felt rushed, half-baked and naff. I get what they were aiming for, but the execution is really not the best.

It is, however, mercifully brief, and leads to the tear-jerking final act. In some ways, it feels only right that Sisko’s arc finished with him basically as a Prophet. It’s been fascinating to watch his spiritual journey these seven years, something Star Trek has never been bold enough to do before or since (and I’m certainly not going to include Chakotay’s “Native American” schtick on VOYAGER). There’s almost a touch of the climax to THE MOTION PICTURE, with Sisko making the leap from mortal to “god” and boldly going where no one has gone before in a way Kirk or Picard can only dream of.

Unlike TNG, the writers knew they could create a definite ending to DS9 because, sadly, as unloved and under-appreciated as it was, it would never be “going to the movies”. I also stand by my theory that this was Sisko’s penance and that, from the moment he convinced the Prophets to stop the Dominion fleet in “Sacrifice of Angels”, he was destined to die. After all, stopping the Dominion fleet basically shifted the entire timeline. As a result of losing the station, Dukat also lost Ziyal and his MIND—and was eventually, as a direct result, led to the pah-wraiths. Presumably, if the Dominion had never lost their fleet in “Sacrifice of Angels”, Dukat would still be head of Cardassia and would never have embarked on his quest to unleash the pah-wraiths and get revenge on Sisko and Bajor. Sisko was inadvertently responsible for it all, and he had to pay the price by stopping Dukat. When I look at it that way, I actually appreciate this storyline a lot more, even if the execution often got a little cartoony for many people’s taste.

Sisko’s appearance to Kasidy is definitely heart-rending, and is given even more emotional weight by Dennis McCarthy reprising his achingly beautiful theme from arguably the show’s finest episode, “The Visitor”. My only objection is that we don’t see Ben saying goodbye to Jake. Yeah, they had to use Kasidy otherwise the entire wedding storyline was a waste of time, but, for me, the emotional core of this show has always been Sisko and Jake. I really, REALLY wish the writers had at least implied that Sisko sent Jake a vision to say “so long”.

Of course, Sisko was originally meant to be as dead as a dodo and wasn’t coming back. Avery Brooks insisted this was a terrible ending because it played into the unfortunate stereotype of a black man inevitably leaving his family. I think this was probably the right call to make, and I like the ambiguity Sisko’s promise to return adds. I know he does in the novel-verse, but that’s not cannon and I don’t imagine we’ll ever really find out if Sisko ever did return. I feel that adds a wistful ambiguity to the show’s mythology.

Most of the characters get some kind of closure, or else sent in a new direction. Some of these character resolutions are more successful than others. Bashir, after all these years of pining and lusting, finally gets a relationship with Dax—it’s just a shame he and Ezri have precisely zero chemistry together. I guess his character peaked around the fourth and fifth seasons, because there’s not really been any sense of progression otherwise this season. I’m afraid, for me, Ezri was mainly an unnecessary diversion this season, although she did play a small but important part in season highlight “Tacking Into the Wind”. O’Brien, I now realise, didn’t have much of an arc on the show at all other than his friendship with Bashir. That reaches a bittersweet end when he leaves to take up a position at Starfleet Academy.

Kira gets command of the station—and her old catsuit back (even though she looked far better and more professional in a “proper” uniform like the Starfleet one). Quark remains where he belongs at the heart of the station, and I loved the final scene between he and Kira which mirrors the argument they had at the very end of the first episode, “Emissary”. “The more things change the more they stay the same” indeed. Jake—well, the writers practically abandoned the character this past season, with poor Cirroc Lofton barely in a handful of scenes of all season. I guess we can conjecture that he went on to become a great novelist and began to look more like Tony Todd with each passing year.

[​IMG]
    “Minsk.”

The last half hour of the episode features a number of heart-stirring goodbyes. I love the scene in Vic’s with the crew together for the last time (along with a who’s-who of assorted writers, producers and recurring guest stars as extras in the lounge). Vic’s song and the flashbacks are sappy, yes, but nevertheless earned, and never fail to get me emotional. Admittedly, not all of the flashbacks work. Worf’s are conspicuous by the utter absence of Jadzia (the result of a dispute with Terry Farrell and seemingly Paramount’s unwillingness to pay to use her likeness). Knowing they couldn’t use Jadzia, they should have ditched Worf’s flashbacks altogether because it simply makes no sense without her. It also makes no sense that Worf would reminisce being Duchamps in “Our Man Bashir” when he should have no memory of it (for it wasn’t even him). Jake’s flashbacks, however, are by far the best. It’s incredible watching just how much he grew over the course of those seven years. I still felt cheated that we didn’t get to see a final scene between he and his father, but this helped make up for it.

I loved Worf’s promotion to Ambassador between the Federation and Klingon Empire which, in many ways, seems the perfect end point for the character. It’s just a shame that it’s completely undone by NEMESIS a couple of years later. I mean, couldn’t they have simply featured Worf as Klingon ambassador who just happened to be on board the Enterprise at the time? Why did he end up back in Starfleet so soon afterward? But that’s a criticism of NEMESIS, not this. It was a great idea while it lasted.

The farewell between Odo and Kira is perhaps the episode’s emotional peak. Ironically, in spite of the fact that neither were particularly “sold” on the romantic relationship between their characters, Rene Auberjonois and Nana Visitor sell it beautifully. Their farewell is heartfelt and always makes me cry just a little. Again, I wish they’d better specified why Odo could never come back, but it’s still a really moving moment and beautifully shot and scored. Even better is the final shot of Kira standing by Jake’s side, arm around him as the camera pulls back, away from the station, and allowing us to watch as DS9 disappears among the stars. Again, I never manage to get to the end credits without a tear in my eye. How I miss this show.

Overall, this is a fantastic yet flawed end to an excellent series. There are some fundamental problems that could easily have been resolved by altering the story structure and some judicious editing, yet the good more than outweighs the bad. It’s a hard one to rate. Objectively, it’s certainly not perfect, so I’m going to go for a solid Rating: 9. It’s DS9, though...and it moves me every time. In my heart it’s kind of a 10. Which is it? I don’t know. It’s not linear.

I’m going to post some final disjointed musings on DS9 in the next day or so, and explain why I probably won’t be writing any more reviews. Until then, did you find the finale?

Last edited: Aug 25, 2021
  6. Trekker09

What a wonderful review, so many in-depth observations (that I wouldn’t have thought of) - and illustrations! It was the most heartfelt and inclusive Trek finale-- the ultimate ensemble show. Loved how they brought in many of the writers, producers and actors to be the audience in Vic’s lounge. I can’t watch the last half hour without tearing up….the characters’ flashback scenes, Vic’s song, one poignant goodbye after another. Sisko is a hero, but so is Odo….Bashir….Kira… Worf... Garak…Damar.... Nog.

One paragraph that stands out for me--

I love the fact that Odo is able to cure the Founders, and that his ability to do so is what ends the war. Whereas Section 31 thought they would win the war by doing the unspeakable—committing genocide—Odo proves himself one of the most “human” of all the show’s characters by insisting that it’s by sharing the cure—by healing and cooperation—that peace can be found. For all that DS9 has challenged and dismantled Roddenberry’s Utopianism, how Star Trek is THAT?

This, and the scene where Sisko and Ross refuse to toast the victory along with Martok, show that, despite DS9's reputation for "darkness," it does not glorify war and violence. I agree it did seem jarring that the minute she’s cured, the Founder surrenders and agrees to stand trial for the Dominion’s aggression and genocide. Quite a sudden switch. And good point, how did she sign the peace treaty?!

Many little moments brought a smile- like Kira, Garak and Damar in hysterics at the irony of the locked door. Miles finding the lost Travis figure. Kira tossing Sisko’s baseball. Odo putting on his tux one last time. Quark saying Odo’s affection was “written all over his back.” In a way, Quark’s bar was the series’ stable core --basically unchanged. Quark, not the captain, delivers the last line of the series.

Many thanks for your perseverance, hospitality, and all the insightful, articulate reviews. More musings would be terrific!

Last edited: Aug 25, 2021
    ananta, dupersuper and FanST like this.
  7. DonIago

You didn't mention Nog's promotion. :p

8. oldtrekkie

Great review! I enjoyed every bit of it plus it allows me to put my little two cents, which I appreciate. One of the flashbacks with Jake is wrong, since it's from the Visitor, a timeline that Jake can't possibly remember.;)

I am very sad that you don't plan on doing any more reviews after this. Please, reconsider.:)

I loved the finale and I think the time discrepancy can be explained if you assume that time moves differently inside the fire caves. After all the Pah-Wraiths are of the same nature as the Prophets and we know that they can alter time at will. Like when they sent the poet two hundred years into his future and then back in his time again (without altering the present which is quite a feat). So maybe it's not that big of a problem after all stranger things have happened throughout the series. Maybe the Pah-Wraith alter time deliberately to permit the confrontation between their emissary and the Prophet's. Isn't that what Dulkat predicted? He said something like "Ssiko is gonna survive the battle but he'll wish he hadn't" or something like that.

9. FanST

FanST Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Another great review of the DS9 series finale! Except for the fire caves scenes (and Jadzia not being in Worf's flashbacks), everything else was perfect in my opinion. I really enjoyed the endings to many of the arcs, especially Odo/Kira, Garak, Damar and Bashir/O'Brien.

I have very much enjoyed your amazing thread, and am looking forward to your final thoughts on DS9.

ananta likes this.
  10. Farscape One

Farscape One Vice Admiral Admiral

Excellent review.

My wife actually thinks the ending of Sisko was bad. I still disagree with her, and feel the same as you.

Regarding Ben only appearing to Kasidy and not Jake... I think I mentioned this before, but we can look to his experience in "THE VISITOR" as a reason why he doesn't. First, he has seen his son's potential future... a good career with a wife. That must give him a strong sense of comfort knowing he will likely be fine. Second, Jake is already an adult and has shown to start becoming his own man, like his decision to stay on DS9 during the Occupation, while he only recently married Kasidy and their baby is only in its first trimester. I think he appeared to her more for her benefit than anything else.

The Cardassians... completely agreed, they were made to suffer here. And they did have it coming. I do disagree, though, that the Cardassian fleet switching sides all at once was too coincidental. I think a lot of them were already thinking about siding with Damar but were afraid of what the Dominion would do to their families. But when Lakarian City was destroyed, I think that was the signal that showed them they had nothing to lose because the Dominion was going to decimate their world anyway. It was really a sense of 'we have nothing left to lose, so we might as well go out fighting'. And truthfully, they really didn't have anything left to lose.

Odo... despite the Link being a quick exchange of knowledge and experience, I would argue that it takes time for those things to really sink in. Especially given the Changelings' history with solids. Odo being a constant presence within the Link can help not just change their minds, but their hearts as well. THAT is the real goal, and the key to a real victory... oddly enough, Dukat actually understood this when he said that to Weyoun in the Occupation arc. Plus, Odo has wanted to be with his people (at the very least, wanted to find out about them) even longer than he has known Kira. So I can totally see him leaving her for the Link. But that final scene of them was perfect.

And you are right... that solution is totally part of the STAR TREK vision. I have always argued that DS9 is the spinoff that stays the most true to the vision of STAR TREK. This is just another example.

I'm very glad we got one last scene of Garak and Bashir. I wish they would come back for a SHORT TREK or three...

The Female Changeling... agreed. Most chilling villain. The thing that makes her most interesting is the fact that under the circumstances of how her people suffered in the past, it's actually understandable why the Founders would choose to control everything around them. What you can control can't hurt you. I don't agree with it, but I understand it.

The Fire Caves... you make very astute points about the passage of time here. You're right that a bit of editing would have helped this tremendously. I could never put my finger on why it bothered me, but that was it.

In the end, your assessment of the finale is perfect... fantastic but flawed. But I also want to add that it's the best ending for this series. "All Good Things..." was the best ending for TNG for different reasons. But they do have one thing in common... it was exactly right for the format of their respective shows. Every finale since has been terrible.

My rating... a 9. The only reason it doesn't get a 10 is because of the Fire Caves pacing and the amount of little glitches that could have been altered... certain flashback sequences, Garak on an exploding ship. On their own, they don't take anything away from the rest. But there were simply too many to not notice.

On a related note, I am saddened that there will be no more of your reviews. They have been insightful, thorough, thought provoking, and just plain fun... especially your screenshots and captions. Reading them has become a highlight of each day. (But I will always defend "MOVE ALONG HOME". :) :) ) Many of them have illustrated things I didn't notice, and given how many times I have rewatched the series, that is not a small compliment.

I can say for certainty... definitely for myself, and quite likely for many people here... that "WHAT YOU LEAVE BEHIND" in this thread is just pure gold pressed latinum. It's not just a thread of episode reviews, but a thread of shared memories, laughs, great conversations, and a sense of fun. I will truly miss these reviews, and I cannot thank you enough for taking the time, care, thought, and energy into posting these wonderful reviews.

ananta, Trekker09, FanST and 2 others like this.
  11. oldtrekkie

I couldn't agree more.

DonIago, ananta and FanST like this.
  12. ananta

Awww, thanks Farscape! That means a lot. And thank you everyone else for the kind comments. :beer:

FanST likes this.
  13. ananta

As it turns out, I don’t have much left to say about DS9 after all. I think I’ve about covered it in these reviews. Here are some random thoughts, though:

DS9 is definitely the Star Trek show that has aged best in terms of quality and the style of storytelling and characterisation. I almost feel TNG was a victim of its own success in that the writers never really pushed themselves to innovate and shake things up or experiment with different forms of storytelling to any significant degree. It’s maybe for that reason I feel the show peaked quite early on (probably the third season) and often chugged along on autopilot after that.

DS9, however, had to fight tooth and nail. Because it wasn’t the hit TNG was, the “Suits” clearly advised the writers to re-tool the show at least twice (at the start of the third season with the introduction of the Defiant and the shift away from Bajor, and the fourth, with the introduction of Worf). Rather than jumping the shark, however, these changes ultimately served to creatively energise the show and added to it rather than subtracting from it.

Ultimately, of course, it seems the studio more or less gave up on the unloved middle child at some point and kept all their attention on the prized baby of the family, VOYAGER. This was much to VOYAGER’s creative detriment, but it did allow DS9 to flourish under Ira Behr’s stewardship and to take chances and do things Star Trek had never really done before. Ironically, in terms of creativity and storytelling, DS9 really did boldly go where no Trek had gone before.

While the first season was a little rocky and the characters and writing somewhat stiff, I feel it holds up better than most would have you believe. I mean, outside of TOS, I can’t really think of another Trek that delivered an episode as brilliant as “Duet” in its first season. Admittedly, there was some real mediocrity along the way, but even the bad wasn’t quite as bad as it could have been. While some hold “Move Along Home” as the absolute nadir of Trek, it’s nowhere near as bad as its lowly reputation suggests. It’s certainly not good, but it doesn’t deserve to rank among the show’s all-time worst.

The second season starts off beautifully but, as I recall, suffers from a dull run of episodes mid-season. Even then, it’s still better than many claim. I can never quite understand the new viewers who moan that they find the first two seasons of DS9 utterly “unwatchable”. Although the show hadn’t found its voice, they still beat the hell out of TNG, VOYAGER and ENTERPRISE’s early seasons.

It’s around the middle of the third season that things really kick into gear, however, and I think the “Past Tense” two-parter is something of a coming of age. The latter third of the season, which climaxes with the “Improbable Cause/Die Is Cast” two-parter, is really wonderful. From then on we have something of a golden age of DS9 which lasts, I’d argue, until sometime in season six.

What surprised me most on this rewatch was just how weak the run of episodes in the latter half of season six is. Fortunately there are a couple of absolute gems amid the dross, namely “Far Beyond the Stars” and “In the Pale Moonlight”, but the writers really seemed to lose their way for a while. I’m afraid, for me, the low point of the entire series was probably the loss of Jadzia and the pitiful way they handled her death. While I actually find Nicole deBoer a likeable replacement, I nevertheless resented her character for the excessive and unnecessary amount of screen time she was given that final year to the detriment of many of the rest of the cast. Indeed, the first half of the seventh season was a source of considerable frustration for me.

My favourite season overall? In terms of episode to episode quality, I’d have to say the fourth season. What an incredible run of stories that was. Outside of TOS’s first season, I’d say it was perhaps the best season Trek ever had. That said, in many ways the fifth season, in spite of greater unevenness, was even more compelling because the build up to war with the Dominion was far more interesting than season four’s Klingon conflict. So, season four was a little less than the sum of its parts and season five was greater.

Least favourite season? In spite of having defended it and saying it isn’t as bad as its reputation suggests, the first season is still the weakest. It was clear the writers and actors were finding their feet and figuring out what kind of show this needed to be. This lack of confidence is underscored by the sheer number of hit-and-miss TNG crossover elements. It did, however, flourish remarkably by the final two episodes.

Favourite characters? It was probably Kira for me. From the very start, I felt she was the breakthrough character, and I immediately knew Nana Visitor had something special. Watching her arc unfold across the seven seasons was an absolute joy, even if I felt executive meddling resulted in a somewhat bland, “neutered” phase in the fourth season. I also loved Odo, even if the guy had a grumpy disposition and a seemingly perpetual hangover. I have no idea how Rene Auberjonois did what he did through that plastic mask, but, heck, he was phenomenal. The result was one of Trek’s most interesting and conflicted characters.

I also loved Sisko, and will always defend Avery Brooks, who I thought was a fantastic leading man. His arc as Emissary makes for compelling viewing and his wonderful relationship with Jake is possibly the emotional core of the series. What a joy they were to watch; genuine love in action. His passion, presence, badassery and the fact he’s somewhat morally compromised after a time make him a brilliant character in my view. I also love Jadzia—well, Jadzia 2.0 that is. Terry Farrell did a wonderful job bringing her to life with charisma, wit and a marvellously playful streak.

Finally, Quark also deserves special mention. To begin with, I didn’t know how the writers would sustain a petty, conniving thief as a main character for seven years, but Armin Shimmerman brought so much the role and I loved seeing Quark subtly grow and change over the years and his relationships with the crew, such as Kira, change from outright hatred to genuine affection. The show’s comedic aspect was generally one of it’s greatest touches and so much of the credit goes to Shimmerman—and, indeed, his Ferengi family.

Least favourite characters? Vedek Bareil. He was absolutely fine in his first couple of appearances, but they should have left it at that.

Best episodes? Just off the top of my head— “The Visitor”, “Far Beyond the Stars”, “Duet”, “In the Pale Moonlight”, “Improbable Cause/The Die Is Cast”.

Worst? “Profit and Lace”. Followed by “Let He Who Is Without Sin” and “The Emperor’s New Cloak”.

That’s about all I have to say, really. Through the good and the bad, I’ve enjoyed it all. There’s a timelessness to the show and its characters and they really do feel like the most three-dimensional and fully realised cast of characters in all of Star Trek. While, sadly, DS9 still doesn’t get the widespread love and appreciation it deserves (except among a significant subset of fans), I nevertheless think that, overall, it was probably the best written and acted of all the franchise’s many incarnations. My hats off to the creators, writers, actors, directors and everyone that made this dream a reality.

I want to thank you guys again for reading and commenting. As I said before, I never had anyone to “share” DS9 with when I was younger. It has been really cool to share this with you, and to hear your thoughts and perspectives and to share the journey. I didn’t initially expect anyone to jump on board, but I’m so glad you did.

I really appreciate the encouragement to move on to review other things. I love writing, and I basically decided to do this to try to get myself into a daily writing regimen again. In that respect, it’s been great. But it has, however, taken more time and energy than I really have to spare. To begin with, I thought it might take about 5 to 10 minutes to write up each episode. In reality, it often took upwards of an hour or more (or two days in the case of “What You Leave Behind”!) as I’m not very good at quickly throwing stuff out. That might not seem a lot to some, but it is when you are sick and have to ration your time and energy quite strictly. The sad fact is I don’t know how long I have to live. I’m ever the optimist and I still hope that I might somehow beat this cancer. It’s not altogether impossible, just not very likely given the horrific statistics. As far as the doctors are concerned, it’s not a matter of trying to cure it but hold it back. My last scan showed that a couple of bits have started to grow again, albeit only slightly.

I still hope to be around for many years yet, but it does force you to take stock and prioritise. I love Star Trek but it’s far from the most important thing in my life. I have other more pressing projects, such as a half-written book, paintings I want to creative, and music I want to create (yeah, I am a multi-creative person!). For now, I’m going to take a break from writing reviews and focus my energy on that, and on living my best life. Never say never, so maybe after a break I might come back to wrote more reviews. That said, I just rewatched TNG a year ago and don’t want to revisit that anytime soon and I’ve never really been a fan of VOY or ENT. If the seasons were half the length and minus much of the filler I’d maybe be more willing to rewatch. While I may rewatch TOS soon, I’m not sure I’d even want to review it because as much as I love it, so much of it doesn’t bear scrutiny. Sometimes you can analyse things too much and lose the joy somewhat. Life is imperfect—it’ll never be a 10/10 endeavour, yet sometimes it’s about finding what good is there and simply tuning out the bad.

Anyway, thanks again for reading! It’s been a blast. Live long and prosper.

Cyfa, antinoos, FanST and 5 others like this.
  14. Trekker09

Thanks so much for these further reflections. Very sorry to hear the news is not positive on your health. But how fortunate to be creatively gifted in many ways - more power to you

I agree about the loss of Terry Farrell from the cast - in my eyes, the biggest misstep of the series. At least she got to go to the wrap party…..and stayed friends with Nana Visitor. Also agree, that Kira was the most memorable character. Visitor brought everything she had to that role. Sisko and Jake, and O’Brien and Bashir, had such a natural rapport --heartwarming relationships throughout. One tiny nitpic - it’s Shimerman, not Shimmerman. (Unless that’s the British spelling!)

Wishing you all the best.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2021
  15. DonIago

Thank you so much for the wonderful reviews Ananta. Lots of great memories sparked here, new thoughts brought up that I hadn't considered before, and just generally a joy to chat with people about my favorite Trek series.

While you're clearly wrong about the stuff I disagree with you on :p , I appreciate that you always took the time to explain why you felt a given way and always treated us folks in the peanut gallery respectfully.

I totally understand why you may not feel the desire to review anything else in the future, but if you do, I hope you'll mention it here, as I'd be happy to see what you have to say. <3

Best wishes!

16. oldtrekkie

You've done a fantastic job here. I wish you the best and take care.

17. FanST

FanST Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Great job on this thread. It really was special. I hope you make a full recovery and live happily for many more years. Take Care.

18. kkt

kkt Commodore Commodore

Voyager's ending didn't need DS9's help to look lame...

ananta likes this.
  19. DonIago

Perhaps not, but the reasonable success DS9 had concluding with both a good finale episode and an entire arc leading up to it just accentuated how VOY went out with, IMO, more of a whimper than a bang.

FanST likes this.
  20. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Going in to Voyager expecting DS9 is asking for disappointment. As much as I love DS9 (second favorite series) it's not a game of measuring out which is best. VOY, for its downs (and I could rag on it for a while) had some memorable characters that have persisted in the franchise. That's not nothing.

DS9 had to kind of work its way in to the more celebrated status. I mean, I didn't even find it especially enjoyable for a while. But, that's me. This thread has been a fun adventure and encouraging to revisit the show again.