Mortal Kombat: Legacy Episode 1 is Online!

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Admiral_Young, Apr 12, 2011.

1. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

This one wasn't as good as the first 3...but it was alright. :)

2. -Brett-

-Brett- Vice Admiral Admiral

If this series was a child, I'd feed it a whole bottle full of ritalin. They're doing nothing with any of the threads they touch on before jumping off to the next.

Also not thrilled with the abrupt, artless transition between being somewhat grounded in reality and full-blown fantasy.

On a more superficial note, are we still in flashback territory at the end? Because if those are supposed to be the final versions of Kitana and Mileena, why do they look like twelve year olds?

3. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ They're not designed to be resolved. These are all shorts touching on specific characters showing various motivations of how they ended up in the tournament. I would be surprised if we saw the tournament. I don't think that's how this is going to end at all. Think of this as a prequel to the game. In fact if we get a season two I doubt we'll see the tournament. These are all character based.

4. StarTrek1701

StarTrek1701 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

This show is getting lamer and lamer every episode. And here to think I was absolutely pumped at Rebirth. Damn. :(

5. Admiral_Young

How is it getting lamer and lamer? I'll agree this was the first dud but I don't think it's regressing as badly as you do. I have to agree with Holdfast's assessment of this episode. The mix of animation and live action didn't work for me, the narration was uninspiring and flat (although I have a suspicion that maybe it was meant to be that way).

Last edited: May 4, 2011
  6. Admiral_Young

Episode five is up. Part two of Katana and Mileena. I didn't find this one as boring as the first part. Shao Khan was interesting. For those wondering Raiden is in this, he's played by someone named Ryan Robbins. Have no idea what episode he'll be appearing in though. Sub-Zero and Scorpion probably will be up soon.

7. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

This guy? If it is him, that's awsome, Henry is my favorite character on Sanctuary.

8. Admiral_Young

^ There's an error with your link.

9. God Magnus

God Magnus Commodore Commodore

A world where criminals operate above the law...
    I enjoyed part five more than four, but this whole "cut to animation" thing isn't working for me. It takes me out of the episode for a few seconds every time they switch back and forth. If they had been doing this from the beginning it'd be one thing, but it was just suddenly thrown in four episodes in so it's weird. Here's hoping for a better episode six.

10. Admiral_Young

I didn't like the cutting back and forth between live action and animation either. I understand the intent to use the animation as a framing device and part of the narration of the past but it doesn't work. I'm wondering if this wasn't just part of the design for these two episodes or if it will crop up again in later ones? Sorry about the lack of link...there was none at the time I posted.

11. Obiwanshinobi

Obiwanshinobi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think it was also used for budgetary reasons and ability to get away with some of the gore MK is known for.

12. Admiral_Young

^ Excellent point.

13. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Sorry. Here's another. I must have missed something when I copied the address.

14. Admiral_Young

Raiden centric episode next week! Business is about to pick up!

15. Admiral_Young

16. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

That was pretty good. :)

17. Admiral_Young

I really liked the take on Raiden in this episode, and Blue (is she from the mythos? Or was she just a mental patient?) was kind of cute for a mental patient. I loved the blue blood and the special effects for the lightning were really cool to see. The hat at the end of the episode was a nice touch.

As I theorized before, I don't think we're meant to see the actual MK tournament at the end of this, that's the game it's self. However if a movie was ever green lit I would love for this to lead into that.

18. Obiwanshinobi

Obiwanshinobi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Oh so that's what Raiden was up to prior to the tournament. The actor kind of resembles Michael Biehn. Great episode. This one is my favorite so far too.

Even though they're not really connected to each other, they set the bar pretty high with Rebirth. So far I don't think the series has quite lived up to that with the exception of this episode. It really needs to blend that gritty realism with the mysticism for it to work, as the disclaimer mentioned. Going total realistic in tone has been great, while going full bore into the fantasy aspect has been more of a miss than a hit, but this episode managed to find that happy medium. Hope they keep it up. Still been pretty cool to see this series though.

19. God Magnus

God Magnus Commodore Commodore

A world where criminals operate above the law...
    Kudos for getting Ryan Robbins in this! This was a very different character to see him play. Very fun.

20. Admiral_Young

For those who have been clamoring for Scorpion and Sub-Zero...the wait is almost over. Tomorrow's episode will feature them both. Raiden was just a warm up ;)