News Moon Knight anticipation thread.

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Turtletrekker, Jan 18, 2022.

1. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

The Hank McCoy Beast???

Moon Knight started as a riff on the Batman/Shadow type of character. Which became more pronounced when artist Bill Sienkiewicz was in his Neal Adams phase. which lead to this exchange between the two artists
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Though Moon Knight carved his own path by developing the Egyptian angle and the multiple personalities. Which I think might have just been disguises at first.

2. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Much obliged!

Turtletrekker likes this.
  3. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

As one of those filthy casuals that never read the comics (or indeed even ANY comic he showed up in, even tangentially) I'm still struggling to feel like I'm on board for the ride.
    I mean don't get be wrong, it looks well made and Issacs is clearly acting his little freakishly broad ranged heart out as ever, but this kind feels like it's in a Watchman-y type of vein (at least in terms of tone) and my appetite for this kind of thing has been rather lessened of late. I stopped watching season 2 of 'The Boys' mid-way through simply because I didn't have the mental energy to deal with it, and the new Batman trailers have just left me cold (and I'm usually game for almost any take on Batsy.)
    So, while I'll certainly give it a fair shake, this may not be for me.

Also; I'm not exactly thrilled by the idea of "mental sickness is a superpower" as a selling point. That is almost never handled well.
    Honestly I though it sounded like one of the better fake UK accents by a non-native I've heard in ages. Though it seems like he's mostly channelling Jude Law, specifically.

Commander Troi likes this.
  4. Xerxes82

Xerxes82 Captain Captain

@Turtletrekker covered Harrow and Sun King pretty well with his links. Sun King is a new character from 2018 who was never given a real name (and thus would be easy to merge with the one off Harrow) but who I think fits Marvel's urge to often give us a first villain who is the hero, only evil. Sun King is powered by a belief in Ra, and was a pyrokinetic (that is, he could manifest and control fire). He's basically Day Knight.

As for Mr Knight, it's sort of complicated. But just as Marc Spector has three personalities (Marc, Jake and Steven), Moon Knight also has three aspects. 1) Khonsu, where he is the living avatar of the moon god who powers him (typically portrayed with a large bird skull for a head, like the hallway monster in the trailer here who is probably something similar). This is usually Marc wearing the skull and ancient style clothing. 2) Moon Knight, the protector of nighttime travellers. This is the super suit. Standard issue Moon Knight. Think of it as his work uniform, which is how Marc tends to describe it. Also "his vestments."

And finally, 3) Mr Knight. This version wears a white or silver business suit and a face mask and is basically the public face of Moon Knight when he's dealing with police or civilians. It's both his most human aspect and the one that he tends to wear the most often these days. I've often looked at them as a kind of spectrum, with Mr Knight representing Marc as a human, Khonshu as the supernatural avatar, and Moon Knight as the bridge between the other two.

5. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

A small area of 100 square kilometers on the east coast of England--but I can't remember the specific location for the life of me.

6. dupersuper

dupersuper Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

For those saying they haven't read much Moon Knight, the Warren Ellis run was great. Also:

7. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

Saw the trailer and am very interested.

I don't know much about the character apart from his connection to egyptian mythology and his split personalities ( so basically the cornerstones of the character) so i'm curious to see the show.

Based on the trailer it seems it'll be somewhat less flashy/funny than other shows and if that's the case i'm completely ok with it. Isaacs and Hawke are tremendous actors and i'm looking forward seeing what they do with these characters.

8. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Thank you for the detailed response. That triad relationship of aspects does sound interesting and now I'm also curious to see if the show works it in, if not the this season, then the next.

9. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I have the first collection of Ellis's run on my Comixology account, I might have to give it a read before this starts.

10. eschaton

eschaton Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm very curious about this series because it seems to break the existing format for Disney MCU series. I mean, consider what came before:

Wandavision: Filled out secondary characters from the Infinity saga, and set up elements for later Phase 4 movies
    The Falcon & The Winter Soldier: Filled out secondary characters from the Infinity saga, and set up elements for later Phase 4 movies
    Loki: Filled out a secondary character from the Infinity saga, and set up elements for later Phase 4 movies
    What If...?: Fanservice. May have set up elements for Phase 4 as well
    Hawkeye: Filled out a secondary character from the Infinity saga, and introduced a character for Phase 4

Even looking ahead, all of the other upcoming shows are either about elevating minor characters we already know (Nick Fury, James Rhodes) or introducing characters needed for later movies (Ms. Marvel, She-Hulk, etc.)

I don't understand how Moon Knight fits into the master plan which is...good! It means someone thought there was a story to tell here which was compelling enough it could stand on its own without having to tie into the existing MCU immediately.

Skellington and Commander Troi like this.
  11. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

Even as an American I thought it sounded off.

12. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

13. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

14. M'rk son of Mogh

M'rk son of Mogh Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

How do we know he's not like She-Hulk or Ms. Marvel, being set up to join the universe for a later movie? Moon Knight has been an Avenger.

Commander Troi and Turtletrekker like this.
  15. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Gaspard Ulliel's character, Anton Mogart aka The Midnight Man, is almost as obscure as Ethan Hawke's character, having made only a handful of appearances in the comics. Got me thinking that Moon Knight doesn't really have the most memorable of Rogue's galleries.

https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Anton_Mogart_(Earth-616)

16. eschaton

eschaton Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I mean, it's of course possible, but those are a bit different. She-Hulk will also have Ruffalo playing regular Hulk/Bruce, plus Roth coming back as Abomination. Ms. Marvel (apparently) won't have Carol Danvers, but we know she's going to be in the next movie with her. So those are both "passing of the torch" sort of stories - kind of like Hawkeye.

I don't see any apparent immediate links though between Moon Knight and anyone already established within the MCU. Though I'm sure someone will make an appearance.

17. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Well, there's a sort of "street level" element that could tie into Daredevil, Hawkeye and Echo.
    There's a "gods level" element that could tie into Thor and the cosmic side.
    And a "mystical level" element that could tie into Doctor Strange.

18. M'rk son of Mogh

M'rk son of Mogh Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Plus with Blade and Werewolf by Night fitting so well in Moon Knight's world, there are DEFINITELY crossovers coming up with him. I would be surprised if one of those two didn't make an appearance in Moon Knight's series, in fact.

Commander Troi and Nerys Myk like this.
  19. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Recently, it seems that their was a secret Lovechild, that Moon Knight kept secret from Moon Knight.

Further back their was an author who kept saying that Konshu, the Egyptian Moon God who empowered Moon Knight, was another one of Moon Knight's dissociative identities.

The Incredible Hulk has had the same problem since the 60s, and the authors have trawled the subject.

20. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

My thoughts too - i don't think every TV show character will also transfer into movies but i could well see Marvel building a sort of show universe that runs parallel to the movieverse and that includes "less powerful" superheroes that operate more closely to the ground - could also be that a few years down the line they'll combine them to make some sort of team the same as with Netflix' Defenders (but better).