MLB World Series 2018: Eh. Dodgers/Boston. Eh.

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by Timby, Mar 29, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Captain Clark Terrell

Captain Clark Terrell Commodore Commodore

^I didn’t feel this way at first, but after four months, I’m comfortable including Gabe Kapler in the group of new analytics-happy managers who’ve done well. Some of his decisions still leave me scratching my head, but there’s no question he’s gotten more out of this year’s Phillies than either Pete Makanan (nice guy but mediocre manager) or Ryne Sandberg (absolutely terrible manager) would have.

Meanwhile, Mickey Callaway keeps doing Mickey Callaway things.

2. Captain Clark Terrell

Matt Davidson, who has served mainly as a DH and occasionally as a corner infielder, is again pitching for the White Sox. Tony Clark needs to grow a pair and raise this issue during the off-season. It’s only a matter of time before a non-pitcher suffers a career-ending injury by trying to pitch during a blowout.

If I were a general manager, I’d strongly consider firing any manager who thought repeatedly using position players as pitchers was a good idea.

3. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

Position players pitching owns, though, almost as much as pitcher dingers own.

Also, Cole Hamels with the Cubs thus far: 2-0, 11 IP. 10 H. 2 R, 1 ER, 3 BB, 11 K.

By all means, Chatwood, take your time figuring your shit out, the Cubs have things under control.

4. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

I like those numbers. Now if the other 4 guys can get their shit together....

Last edited: Aug 7, 2018
  5. Timby

Yeah, the biggest thing has been getting starters past the fifth inning or so. Maddon has always had a ludicrously tight leash with Hendricks, but even nowadays Lester and especially Quintana have had a hard time getting past the fifth inning. (Although it would help if Quintana didn't throw, like, 40 pitches in the first inning in every start.)

6. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master Admiral Admiral

Both the AL West and the NL West division races are going to be down to the wire.
    September is going to be a fun month for baseball fans.

The Nth Doctor likes this.
  7. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

thankfully after this weekend, looks like AL East may be over. Always room for a September collapse, but 9.5 games is a decent cushion for August.

BillJ, The Nth Doctor and Jedi_Master like this.
  8. Captain Clark Terrell

The NL East should be fun, too. The Phillies are a game ahead of the Braves, and the two teams will meet seven times during the final two weeks of the season.

The Nth Doctor and Jedi_Master like this.
  9. Danny99

Danny99 Vice Admiral Admiral

Apparently this may be John Gibbons' last homestand as the Jays manager and the team will be looking for a bilingual manager, who is inclined towards analytics.

The first one seems kind of obvious with so many Spanish speaking players, but I don't know how I feel about analytics. Coming from hockey, where it is a constant fight between analytics and the "old way", I don't know what I should want in regards to that.

10. Captain Clark Terrell

^Analytics appears to be the direction most teams are headed in for the foreseeable future, especially with the success of Cora, Boone, Kapler and Counsel and the relative lack of success of old-school managers such as Don Mattingly and Dave Martinez. Bruce Bochy has had a good run with the Giants, but that team likely won’t be competitive again until they overhaul their current roster.

11. Captain Clark Terrell

Former Braves and Phillies outfielder Dale Murphy has written an excellent article on some of the recent controversies affecting the baseball world.

Edit: In other Braves-related news, Joe Simpson still doesn’t know when to shut up.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2018
  12. Herbert

Herbert Commodore Commodore

That was a great read. Thanks for sharing it

13. Ar-Pharazon

Montgomery & the bullpen kept the train rollin' last night.

Cubs Pitchers 8-7-16.jpg

14. Ar-Pharazon

It can still be a fun game:

15. Timby

I fucking love Adrian Beltre.

16. Ar-Pharazon

I don't know why Felix was still in there after giving up 7 earned runs (10) before the HR.

17. Timby

Servais has already strongly suggested that Felix is getting benched for at least a start. There's something really horribly wrong with his mechanics--even that goofy-ass curveball that Beltre whiffed on should have been golfed straight out of the park--and the Mariners can't afford to have him being tarred and feathered regularly if they're going to make a legitimate playoff run.

18. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

Baseball players need to stop whining about the shift and learn to hit the ball the other way.

19. Timby

Oh, but haven't you been paying attention to Rob Manfred? The shift is ruining baseball, hence why he's considering banning or limiting shifts.

Even though defensive shifts have been around since, like, the goddamn 1940s, and only came back in vogue because of guys like Joe Maddon and Charlie Manuel, who like to push buttons and pull levers and see what happens.

Ar-Pharazon likes this.
  20. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

Might as well ban tackling in the NFL, or ban blocking in the NBA.

Sports leagues especially in the last 15 years have started artificially limiting defensive strategy in order to increase scoring. The only one that was actually a good change was the two line pass thing, because that was an artificial limitation to begin with.

No sympathy for Pujols. If you can't play well against a defense using good strategy, you can't play well.

The Nth Doctor likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.