MLB Offseason: CHAM-PI-ONS DO DO, DO DO DO DO

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by Timby, Oct 31, 2019.

1. A Chimpanzee & 2 Trainees

A Chimpanzee & 2 Trainees Captain Premium Member

I heard the LA city council is looking into a resolution calling on MLB to award 2017,2018 titles to the Dodgers. Why do politicians always need to insert themselves? It’s beyond stupid... entering Freedom Fries territory.

Even though I am a (casual) Red Sox fan, I do think that they should vacate the titles and declare no winner for those years. It’s the most effective way still available to punish the players who went along with and benefited from these schemes, since they’ve already said they won’t go after them directly. You can’t replay the postseason and say definitively the Dodgers would have won against the resulting opponent, but you can say that if you cheat, you aren’t the champion. The players shouldn’t get off scott-free

2. Timby

Timby Game ... OVER! Administrator

I really, really wish Deadspin hadn't gotten strangled to death by Jim Spanfeller. I imagine they'd have some amazing reporting about this saga by now.

3. Timby

Cubs general manager Jed Hoyer was quoted this morning that he believes the Cubs are "past the point" that they can sign most of their core players to extensions.

Jesus fucking Christ, Cubs. Stop pretending that you're poor.

Edit: Lawl, I forgot that Tom Ricketts was interviewed recently and said that the Wrigley renovations are more than 100 percent over-budget, and then he tossed shade at the City of Chicago, not-so-subtly suggesting that their budget plan was based upon their thought that Chicago would bend over, like almost every other city in the country, and give them hundreds of millions of dollars in public money.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2020
    Captain Clark Terrell and BillJ like this.
  4. Jim Klag

Jim Klag Rear Admiral Premium Member

Just 3 weeks until pitchers and catchers report. An old man's fancy turns to thoughts of baseball. :beer:

Mr. Laser Beam likes this.
  5. Jim Klag

By the way, y'all. As a long time Chicagoan, I find all these teams' pining over Dusty Baker to be totally fucking clueless. He is a bad manager and a one-man curse.

The Nth Doctor likes this.
  6. Herbert

Herbert Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Can't wait.

7. BillJ

BillJ History's Greatest Monster Premium Member

Took the Reds to the playoffs three times.

8. Jim Klag

All his teams made the postseason, but they all found a way to lose.

9. BillJ

BillJ History's Greatest Monster Premium Member

Compared to how we've performed since he was fired, I'd be more than happy to take him back.

10. Timby

I'm heading out the door soon so I don't have time to get really in-depth, but beyond my oft-stated belief that the actual win / loss impact of field managers is highly overrated (in that their only tangible on-field effects are lineups and pitching changes), remember that the season is 162 games, so it's a marathon, not a sprint. When you get to the postseason, you need everything to go your way in order to get a World Series trophy. Hell, the Cubs don't win in 2016 if they don't get an hour and a half break thanks to an unexpected downpour.

Baker's got his issues--pitcher mismanagement being the big one, obviously--but he does have a track record of success. His bigger problem is that his laid-back "Hey, duuuuuude" demeanor eventually wears off (much like Maddon).

11. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Vice Admiral Premium Member

No....just no. Strip the titles because the Astros and Red Sox are cheats, but no guarantee LA would have won if they weren't cheats.

12. Herbert

Herbert Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

MLB isn't going to strip anything

13. Timby

Yeah, they're still trying to scrub everyone's memory of the World Series being canceled in 1994. They aren't going to magically pretend that 2017 and 2018 didn't happen.

14. Timby

Going in alongside Marvin Miller, your 2020 Hall of Fame inductees are Derek Jeter and Larry Walker.

15. cardinal biggles

cardinal biggles HIIIIIIIIIIIIIII Premium Member

YEAH JEETS, YEAH JEETS, YEAH JEETS

Mr. Laser Beam likes this.
  16. Timby

Still one of my favorite anecdotes ever.

17. Danny99

Danny99 Vice Admiral Admiral

The MLB has the silliest Hall of Fame rules of the major sports leagues. If you don't get enough votes, you fall off the ballot. If you don't get in in your first ten years of eligibility, you fall off the ballot. If you get in, you have to choose one team to be immortalized with forever. Just bizarre.

18. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

MLB seems to care more about sign stealing cheating then they did for drug use. I mean anyone who thinks the titles should be taken away needs to chill a little.

And the fact that the Hall of Fame is getting closer and closer to letting in steroid users as 'best ever' is sick and will destroy the sport more than sign stealing which no one will remember come April.

19. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Double meh.

20. Jayson1

Jayson1 Vice Admiral Admiral

While I am not sure how much it would have changed things but the Union fought hard against allowing MLB punish people for drug use so it's kind of both sides were being obtuse.

Jason