MLB 2023 Season: Rangers are going hunting for Snakes

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by Timby, Mar 30, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm excited for this world series. Two new teams for a change, and there is a lot of Giants representation here. I'm rooting for the Rangers and Bochy to solidify his legendary status as manager, but if the DBacks win, I wouldn't have an issue with that.

2. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

It is kind of fun to have a World Series where you don't care at all about either team.

You can enjoy it and just let it happen.

3. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't really have a stake in it either but the Dbacks have won the WS once, and the Rangers never have, so that's why I'm for the latter.

Super Grover likes this.
  4. Timby

Timby The stoicism of the true warrior Administrator

Yeah, but that would mean Aroldis Chapman getting another ring (:barf:) and now there are stories that the Rangers listen to Creed in the clubhouse to pump them up before games (:barf: :barf: :barf:).

I cannot sanction that buffoonery.

BillJ and Ar-Pharazon like this.
  5. Timby

Crap, I just remembered that the Diamondbacks crossed a hotel employees' picket line, which is about as scummy as it gets.

Back to rooting for Meteor.

6. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

According to the broadcast, Evan Longoria's 15-year gap between World Series appearances is the longest ever by a position player.

7. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Why are the DBacks pitching to Garcia in that situation? The guy is the hottest player on the planet. Don't let him beat you.

8. Mr. Laser Beam

Which is exactly what they did. :D

9. Caretaker

Caretaker Commodore Premium Member

Keith Olbermann has been quite... unkind... to the playoffs and World Series this year on his podcast (Countdown with Keith Olbermann). It is some fascinating listening.

10. Mr. Laser Beam

Keith Olbermann being unkind? Who woulda thunk it? :lol:

In other news, water is wet...

BillJ and Worf factor9 like this.
  11. Timby

Keith Olbermann is the classic example of someone who is very occasionally exactly right on a subject, but the other 99 percent of the time, he's crying bloody murder while hammering a rusty nail into his own foot.

BillJ and Mr. Laser Beam like this.
  12. Timby

Okay, so, here's an open question: Who gets Ohtani? I'm sure the Angels will make a token offer so Arte Moreno can turn around and say, "We tried." The Cubs are known to have interest, but Tom Ricketts doesn't enjoy paying the luxury tax, so it's probably a binary choice between signing Ohtani or re-signing Bellinger. Seattle is almost certainly in the picture. The Yankees ... I just don't see how he'd fit in that lineup. The Padres have already said they intend to cut at least $50 million in payroll after their faceplant this season.

I know the Dodgers are in play, since Kershaw's contract is off the books and he might retire.

Guesses? Bets?

13. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Seattle or the Dodgers.

14. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

As for the Cubs, isn't Ohtani likely to go somewhere he has a chance of winning? Without 2-3 potential new starters and a few good relievers, that isn't too likely.

Either way, I don't see Ricketts splurging at that level. Wrigley is still mostly full most of the time innit?

15. Timby

Called it. Game 1 was the least-watched World Series opener in history, and the second least-watched World Series game overall (Game 3 in 2020 has that crown).

BillJ likes this.
  16. Chaos Descending

Chaos Descending Vice Admiral Admiral

Even though I am a Diamondbacks fan and obviously want them to win the World Series, it was tough to see Max Scherzer in such a depleted state and sustaining yet another injury. I've been a Mad Max fan since his first MLB appearance (as a Diamondback) and thought that trading him away was such a terribly short-sighted move. Truly one of the top three pitchers of his generation.

17. DarrenTR1970

DarrenTR1970 Commodore Commodore

I don't know. There's a lot of speculation about what Seattle will do in the off season but acquiring Ohtani isn't on the top of the list, at least according to the sports radio shows I listen to.

BillJ likes this.
  18. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Just figuring if Ohtani wants to stay on the West Coast (and win), he doesn't have much choice beyond the Dodgers and Mariners.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2023
  19. Mr. Laser Beam

Dammit, Adolis Garcia is hurt...won't be in the Rangers lineup tonight. :sigh:

20. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well, that's one reason I can like them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.