MLB 2023 Season: Rangers are going hunting for Snakes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Savannah Bananas exhibit opening at Baseball Hall of Fame

Josh Rawitch, who is president of the Hall, called the team a "phenomenon" that is helping attract younger, less-traditional crowds with shenanigans such as a player on stilts and outs being counted when a fan catches a foul ball in the stands.
Among the rules: a two-hour time limit on games, no bunting, batters having the option of trying to steal first, no stepping out of the box, no mound visits, and a scoring system that awards a point to the team that puts up the most runs each inning.

Sounds completely loony, but fun in it's own right. I do hope it doesn't give Manfred even more ideas.

Since I live in Savannah, I've been to a couple of games. It's fun...but it's definitely not baseball. The stadium they play at is just down the road from me and it use to house a minor league team (the Savannah Sand Gnats)...and I wish they were still a traditional minor league baseball team. Alas.

I feel like the Bananas are doing what they do completely in fun, like Bill Veeck on pot kinda fun. Whereas what MLB has been doing is more like blasphemy.

But that's just me :biggrin:

Bottom of the 8th. Rockies throwing a no-hitter which would be the first home no-hitter in franchise history..... and they're losing to the Giants 1-0.

Angels strike again? Are they the new lolMets for team medical staff?
Anthony Rendon, speaking publicly for the first time in two months, revealed Friday that he has been diagnosed with a fractured tibia by doctors outside the purview of the Los Angeles Angels. The Angels have consistently described Rendon's injury as a deep bone bruise.

Asked why the Angels didn't initially announce his injury as a fractured tibia, Rendon said, "You gotta ask them."

Angels strike again? Are they the new lolMets for team medical staff?

Could be lolmets, could be that Rendon is just being a malingerer, considering he's been ducking the press for the last several months and just now deigned to speak to reporters.

Could be lolmets, could be that Rendon is just being a malingerer, considering he's been ducking the press for the last several months and just now deigned to speak to reporters.
Didn't you think the Ohtani debacle was on the Angels?

I'm not 100% sure. He could have been under-reporting the arm troubles to keep pitching, could have been the team. I never know.

"Deep bone bruise"? :wtf: :lol:

Deep bone bruises are absolutely a real thing, and they fucking hurt.

Hell, earlier this year, Jesse Chavez took a liner to his shin and it was initially diagnosed as a bone bruise, until further imaging done a week or two later (after swelling had gone down) revealed a hairline fracture.

Didn't you think the Ohtani debacle was on the Angels?

I'm not 100% sure. He could have been under-reporting the arm troubles to keep pitching, could have been the team. I never know.

This is what I said at the time:

The thing is, I don't know what in the world Perry Minasian was thinking by going to the press and essentially saying, "Look, we tried to take care of him but he just didn't want the MRI!" It risks (further) alienating Ohtani while also doing absolutely nothing to make themselves look any less negligent in the matter.

By all accounts, Ohtani is a complete dork who just really, really, really loves playing baseball (in addition to being a physical freak of nature). The truth is probably somewhere in the middle.

Last edited:
Damn, the Cubs are in full-on suck mode again.

Not sure I've ever seen a team that could rise or fall as a whole like this one.

Damn, the Cubs are in full-on suck mode again.

Not sure I've ever seen a team that could rise or fall as a whole like this one.

I mean, they had four runs on seven hits, that's not a terrible performance.

It's just that nobody would have expected Justin Steele--who likely imploded his Cy Young candidacy with this start--to give up some really bad meatballs that got taken deep like what happened tonight.

Deep bone bruises are absolutely a real thing, and they fucking hurt.

Hell, earlier this year, Jesse Chavez took a liner to his shin and it was initially diagnosed as a bone bruise, until further imaging done a week or two later (after swelling had gone down) revealed a hairline fracture.
I stand corrected and apologize for laughing. Sounded made up.

I mean, they had four runs on seven hits, that's not a terrible performance.

It's just that nobody would have expected Justin Steele--who likely imploded his Cy Young candidacy with this start--to give up some really bad meatballs that got taken deep like what happened tonight.
The late runs off the bullpen reminded me of the Bears 2 garbage-time TD's vs GB. Too little too late. Tho Stro had a couple good innings in his first game back. A return to form for him would help a lot

On the subject of late, from today's espn.com mlb page....
upload_2023-9-16_9-5-46.png

This was the case for a while, but not the last week or so.

Shohei Ohtani's season is officially over, as he has been shut down due to an oblique injury.

He's still likely to win the AL MVP.

The Angels’ season couldn’t have been more disappointing. Just shitty leadership, bad decisions, and uninspired play.

Ohtani goes out with a whimper, not a bang. I’m crushed. We went all-in and then played .200 ball the rest of the way.

We should have traded Ohtani when we had the chance, as this all-in plan had no hope of succeeding.

Fuck it all to hell.

Giants don't deserve the postseason and I'm done with Farhan and Kapler. You don't manage a historically bad offense and then keep your job. Even if they do make it in, they will probably play the dodgers and the season will be over 2 days later anyway. You don't get swept in a doubleheader to the Colorado Rockies and still consider yourself a worthy contender.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back