MLB 17-18 Offseason: The Giants are preparing for EYBS' return

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by Timby, Nov 3, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

I've heard talk about Eric Wedge... :confused:

2. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

I just checked this out and yeah, he's interviewing.

Holy holy shit. Yes, Cashman, after you fire Girardi for being too stern with his players, go ahead and consider the guy who lost his locker room twice for being a red-ass jackwagon.

Yanks likes this.
  3. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Eh, about a third of those weren't really blown saves because they happened in the sixth and seventh innings.

4. Timby

Saves can be blown outside of the ninth inning. It's anytime a reliever comes into a save situation and gives up the lead.

(Edit: Just another reason saves are part of the unholy trinity of worthless baseball stats.)

Last edited: Nov 12, 2017
  5. The Nth Doctor

Sure, which is why I didn't dismiss eighth inning outings. But in this day and age, can you really tell me that all of those sixth and seventh inning setups shown in that video were intended as save situations? Blown leads, certainly, but blown save opportunities? That seems like a stretch.

6. Timby

According to the conditions of the save rule, they qualify, and according to BBRef, the Giants actually had 23 blown saves, which means this video missed one. Anyway, the cases you cite fall under Rule 10.20(3)(b) which says it's a save situation if the pitcher enters with the potential tying run on-base, at-bat or on-deck.

Which, again, just goes to show why the save rule is fucking moronic and saves are a stupid counting stat.

7. The Nth Doctor

On that count, we completely agree.

8. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

Technically a blown Hold, but would be a save if the guy finished the game. Useless stat either way, but not good to lose that many games you were winning in the 7th or later

9. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Must of been a dodgers fan.

10. The Lady Eve

The Lady Eve Vice Admiral Admiral

If someone tried to make a supercut of all the NY Giants blown saves in 2017 he'd get hand arthritis. And maybe go blind.

11. Tom Hendricks

Tom Hendricks Vice Admiral Premium Member

After 20 years, Carlos Beltran announced his retirement. He was one of my favorite players, very thankful to have him on the Mets.

12. The Nth Doctor

Bill Murray and Brian Doyle-Murray are debuting a new show called Extra Innings where they go on a road trip across America to visit Minor League baseball parks. The show begins November 20 on Facebook Watch.

13. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

14. Timby

Man, I know Scott Boras always sets his goals high, but according to Bob Nightengale, his opening numbers for JD Martinez at the fall meetings: Seven years, $210 million.

Holy moly.

Edit: For comparison's sake, that's right around what the Dodgers gave 26-year-old Kershaw (7 / 215).

Last edited: Nov 15, 2017
  15. Tom Hendricks

Tom Hendricks Vice Admiral Premium Member

That’s crazy talk! With Jeter dangling Stanton, looks like his hometown of San Francisco is the front runners right now.

16. Timby

Crazy talk in terms of "when you have the opportunity to sign a DH for seven years, you gotta do it," sure, but I don't blame Boras for aiming high. Remember, a rising tide raises all boats, so all he's doing is pushing salaries higher. Good for him; I've said it before but in that respect he's done more for MLB's labor force than anyone since Marvin Miller.

17. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

Some of the teams that have inquired about Stanton have stated the Marlins' demands are "shockingly high".

They probably want a massive haul and the new team to pay the $300M left on the contract.

18. Timby

I feel bad for Marlins fans--all 67 of them--considering they just got rid of Loria, and now the new ownership wants to go down to $80 million payrolls again. Apparently the plan is to dumpster dive for a couple of seasons, with the idea being that the stadium naming rights and TV rights deals in 2020 will bring a huge financial windfall.

I wonder if anyone's told Jeter that the TV sports bubble has been in full-on implosion mode for a few years and no one is going to be forking out huge money for sports rights in 2020.

19. Timby

According to NBC, MLB has approached the MBLPA with new pace-of-play rules for 2018, which include a pitch clock.

Oh, fuck you, Manfred.

20. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Why is having a pitch clock such a big deal?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.