Missing books

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by JWolf, Oct 30, 2019.

1. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Buy a bigger coffee table...

DGCatAniSiri likes this.
  2. JWolf

JWolf Commodore Commodore

Too bad we are not getting the Star Trek novel a month. The thing is, with 7 series it could take a rather long time to get to some of the series.

3. Thrawn

Thrawn Rear Admiral Premium Member

It looks like everything has been dropped aside from TNG, TOS, and tie-ins to the recent movies and shows.

Allyn Gibson likes this.
  4. David Weller

David Weller Commander Red Shirt

I would guess that the TNG novels published this year were commissioned before the Picard show was announced, so Collateral Damage could be the last.

I don’t expect to see any more DS9, Voyager and other series set in the 24th century,

I would think books based on current shows would sell better.

5. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

There is a new Voyager novel due out next year, but it's one that's been delayed a while now. But otherwise, yeah, I agree for the foreseeable future the majority of Trek novels will be based around the new shows, Kelvin timeline, TOS and TNG. Wouldn't shock me if TNG went back to doing TV series era novels.

6. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Or the post-TNG, pre-PIC books will be merged into some sort of TNG/PIC hybrid.

Star Trek: Tee-Enn-Gecard.

Brefugee likes this.
  7. tomswift2002

tomswift2002 Commodore Commodore

I don't know. Considering that Jeri Ryan as Seven has been featured prominently in the trailers for Star Trek Picard, we might get Star Trek Voyager books with a pronounced emphasis on Seven of Nine.

8. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

I suspect any Seven of Nine centred novels released in the future will likely be under the Picard banner.

9. ialfan

ialfan Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

As someone who isn't interested in DIS (or most TOS novels honestly) this new pattern is disappointing. I've said before in other threads how I hope they actually try to effectively wrap up the current novel continuity. In past years I was interested in half or more of the novels but this year only bought the two TNG ones.

As an aside I reread a half-dozen of the recent TNG novels while on vacation last month and was reminded of how compelling some of the storylines were and how well they manage to reference and tie together continuity. I'm much more interested in more of that than standalone novels or tie-ins to newer shows I often find more frustrating than enjoyable.

10. Damian

Damian Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah, it's my opinion as well that we're probably done seeing future DS9, Voyager (save for "To Lose the Earth") and Enterprise novels....and probably TNG novels as well. I have a feeling any future 24th century novels will center around Picard and carry the Picard banner. We'll always see original series based novels of course. But as for the prior spin-offs? No I'd be shocked to see that. I think the publisher will want to focus on books centered around the current shows.

And if we are only getting 7 to 9 books a year, then I think it's even less likely.

Christopher had mentioned once maybe they'd consider doing e-book releases for the other spin-offs (to be clear that was just him noting that, not anything from S&S). However that would probably only work for Enterprise since that seems to be the only series that will be unaffected from the current run of shows for the most part. If as we expect Picard overwrites the current 24th century novelverse I don't expect S&S will commission future novels based on the relaunches that are contradictory with canon.

While I prefer printed novels---I'd take an e-book over nothing any day. But I wouldn't hold out much hope for that. I'm not sure how the pay is structured but I have to figure a printed novel gets an author more money than an e-book release. So an author would probably really have to want to do an Enterprise story for that to work (and of course the publisher would still have to give the go-ahead). So I'm not holding my breath.

11. Therin of Andor

People are reporting that “Star Trek: The Motion Picture: The Art and Visual Effects”, originally set for May next year by Titan Books, is apparently expected to ship much earlier, between 18th December and 18th January?

12. DGCatAniSiri

DGCatAniSiri Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I wouldn’t rule out any spin-off based novels - maybe we might get another DS9 novel to wrap up lingering plots, to say nothing of the possibility of something that might wrap up the ongoing storylines that have kept the line going for about twenty years now. But then, I’m an optimist.

Afterwards, I could see a fall back into some in-series novels for the 24th century Trek series, just because I feel like there’d be a desire to keep at least something coming from them, especially with Picard bringing back characters, talk of other characters joining the series in subsequent seasons - with the shows all available through streaming, references and appearances spark people to look up earlier works, reawaken interest, create new demand. So we might get some new in-series novels for like late 2020/2021, in the same way we get regular five year mission TOS novels.

But I will lean into the idea that, for at least the time being, we’re not going to see any more novel exclusive lines, like Titan or Seekers get any more follow up. Which is sad, I’m fond of many of these characters and want to see more of them (and I don’t think Seekers would be too hard to keep around, but it’s probably a “keep things clear just in case.”).

But hey, the ones I have aren’t getting taken off my shelves, so it’s not like they go away.

13. Therin of Andor

Mine arrived last week:

For all those complaining that we never got the 1980 "Cinefantstique" pics in Preston Neal Jones' "Return To Tomorrow", this new volume more than makes up for that.

Contents list for the curious:
    Foreword by Jeff Bond & Gene Kozicki - 06
    Aborted Launch: Planet of the Titans & Phase II - 08
    Warp Experiment: Robert Abel & Associates - 18
    Refit: Douglas Trumbull & John Dykstra - 30
    The USS Enterprise: Evolving the classic starship - 40
    Strange New Worlds: Designing Vulcan & A new look at Earth - 66
    Designing V'ger - 94
    Inside V'ger: Scrapped Memory Wall & Spock's space walk - 116
    V'ger's Temple: Revealing Voyager & V'ger's origin - 140
    Angle of the Attack: The Klingon sequence - 160
    A Good Beginning: The continuing evolution of TMP - 178
    About the Author and Acknowledgements - 192

Last edited: Aug 5, 2020
    Desert Kris likes this.
  14. Desert Kris

Desert Kris Captain Captain

Oh, wow!
    ...er, how?

Amazon says the release date is in September. But if it's coming out now, I'll pay closer attention. Thanks for posting the preview of the chapters, BTW.

Therin of Andor likes this.
  15. Therin of Andor

It already came out with Titan UK (in July) and that version came to Australia.