Merlin Season 2 in the US

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Apr 3, 2010.

1. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

I've been enjoying the show, especially now that Morganna is slowing turning to the dark side . . . .

Here's hoping SyFy airs Season Three.

2. UncleRogi

UncleRogi Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I advise that one DOESN'T watch this. Apparently the writers haven't done their research well.

'Nuff said

3. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

Depends on what a person wants out of Merlin, UncleRogi. If the viewer wants something with some fidelity to, say, Sir Thomas Malory, Merlin is going to be a head-scratching experience; trying to correlate Merlin's names and relationships to Malory will give one a mental aneurysm. There's no Arthurian "canon" in the sense of Star Trek or Star Wars. There are wildly divergent tales, some put more emphasis on Celtic mythology, some are drawn more upon Christian mythology. Some are more historical, some are completely ahistorical. Merlin isn't trying to be the definitive, authoritative retelling of the Matter of Britain; it's just trying to be an entertaining show for a family audience. In that regard, I think it succeeds.

4. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

I doubt that it's a matter of sloppy research. They just looked at the raw material, then did their own thing--which is what people have been doing with the Arthurian mythos for centuries now.

It's all just myth and folklore anyway. There are no true, definitive facts to adhere to. I mean, it's not like Boorman's EXCALIBUR, the Broadway musical version of CAMELOT, Disney's SWORD IN THE STONE, and Monty Python are all scrupulously faithful to each other. Heck, the whole Lancelot/Guenevere thing was made up out of whole cloth centuries after the fact.

This is just the latest variant . . . .

5. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

:guffaw::guffaw::guffaw::rofl::lol::rommie:

6. KB24

KB24 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Roj, I also don't always agree with Merlin's take on the myth and have been dying for a Ringish telling for several years. However, I do like the premise and potential Merlin has established for itself. Yes I think the writers hurt themselves by resorting to stereotypical elements and too much retcon meddling, but when they decide to tell their mythos and stick with it for the second half of a season, Merlin is dang good.

Did you read my link? I think they should have gone with the getting dark and issues bits as concurrent storylines all season long. This show does not need creature features every week. Unfortunately, I don't think Starz' Camelot is going to be any better.

I imagine they must research, as the incantations are in Old English and Welsh are they not? Actually I think their premise for their take is quite sound. It's foolhardy that they deviate from what they establish for laughs and American desperation.

7. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

the third season is not going to go back on itself like season 2 did. they're assuming everyone's been watching and carrying on. Uther's got search parties out looking for Morgana and she will return, as will Morgause. Sir Gawain will appear and we can look forward to more Excalibur/Lady in the Lake stuff.

8. KB24

KB24 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

^Yes Capt, I'm glad they are moving forward with all the family angst that ended season 2. If they kept going back to humor and retconning characters at the beginning of every season, the show wouldn't survive to the 5 series they have outlined. I'm looking forward to next season indeed. I'm interested in seeing how many other knights they bring on, or if someone else is going to be a major character if Morgana goes to recurring status.