Menagerie, re-mastered on the Big Screen

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Dulak, Nov 10, 2007.

1. 22 Stars

22 Stars Commodore Commodore

Well I used to work for both CBS and Paramount and I would be surprised if anyone is reading this. They tend to be pretty old-school in their ways. If anything, Fathom Events should have had a rep. at the screenings in major markets, to gauge reaction. That's what we did for Paramount sneaks.

If Fathom wants to do another, I'm sure CBS will be happy to sell them the license to do it again, but I wouldn't expect any great strides in the presentation, sadly.

2. rgb1701

rgb1701 Captain Captain

Doesn't suprise me. Makes me not want to give Paramount any more of my money.

It appears the blame for the technical issues are evenly split between Fanthom and Paramount.

Fanthom should have provided a better projector and extras, but Paramount could have insisted on quality standards (1080p, surround, etc) as part of the license purchase. Plus Paramount should be true to their word about the "cleanup" claim. When a casual viewing reveals obvious dirt and scratches remaining from the source film, it demonstrates that Paramount wasn't really serious or meticulous in their cleanup effort. They ran the negatives through an automated scanner/cleanup process, without someone technically inclined watching the entire episode and fixing everything the automated system missed.

A fumble by both parties.

Lots of edits to my artistic review above...

3. T'Bonz

T'Bonz Romulan Curmudgeon Administrator

It would have been fun to be with other Trekkies, but I refuse to pay a premium price and go and sit in a mildewy theater for what is basically a TV show from the 1960s that I already have on DVD.

4. Pensive

Pensive Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Was too tired to post when I got home last night (went for drinks afterward) -- Birmingham, AL here.

The theater only had about 30 people in it, which I guess can be chalked up to the fact that Alabama has either a smaller Trek following than most other states, or that Tuesday night is busy night for folks.

It was obvious that the movie was being projected from someone's computer, because Linux noises could be heard in the background about once every 40 minutes or so. But I must say, I was floored by how much they had cleaned up the film, and how colorful and clear the remastered movie was. I am still on the fence about replacing old FX with new CGI, but it was sho' pretty to see Enterprise up there in modern tech-getup.

We had a few people that dressed up - I wore a jacket that I had put ENT patches on, and I saw two teenage girls with their DS9 shirts. The coolest thing was a pair of dudes that had their TOS uniform shirts on, one was a shorter blonde and the other a taller brunette (if only he'd worn his pointed ears!) :)

This was my first time to see the episode, and I had to suppress laughter when I first saw Pike in his wheelchair. Not because that was funny, but an ep of South Park parodied that situation. The people in the theater broke out in laughter in the expected places (Kirk flirting, Spock's "THE WOMEN").

I enjoyed myself so much I am going to the encore on Thursday. And I'm taking an entourage this time :bolian:

5. 22 Stars

It sure is an interesting phenomenon. The film distribution and exhibition industry has been worried about losing market share to the home entertainment biz since VHS. It's been interesting to see the social element to screening parties like this take effect. As good as the presentation at home is, people (some people) still want to have that shared experience that only a theater enviroment can give.

6. T'Bonz

T'Bonz Romulan Curmudgeon Administrator

That would have been the only draw for me. Especially since in Florida, I guess theaters turn off the A.C. when the place is closed and since they have fabric on the ways, mold and mildew grow. I'm highly allergic to it and it's no fun in that respect when I go to the movies.

I will, of course, go when Star Trek XI screens!

7. seigezunt

seigezunt Vice Admiral Admiral

Saw it last night and loved it. Was great to see Trek on the big screen. Of course they hawked the dvd. I didn't know you can play the new dvds on regular machines. temptation...

It would be great to see the Big E on the screen like that again. Too bad if it truly is completely redesigned...

Would be great to see other TOS eps on the big screen. I'd pay the $$ for it. It's an event.

8. Pensive

Pensive Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Something else the huge screen and HD made clear to me: apparently everyone in the future has ultra-blue eyes :p

9. 22 Stars

^ I noticed that a lot too. And deep red lipstick was aplenty, even for Vina who was shipwrecked!! What the hell, that should have been their first hunch that something wasn't quite legit.

One thing that I've always thought was great about The Cage being turned into the Mengaerie, is that it gives Trek a scope, very early on that most shows try to create. All of a sudden the Trek Universe has a completely believeable back story, complete with a very high production value flashback, with a whole new Captain etc. Talk about turning lemons into lemonade!

10. 22 Stars

Oy, that sucks, sorry to hear that. I know that these exhibitors try to maximize profits and have to keep their overhead costs to a minimum, but any larger circuit, like AMC, REGAL etc. would be open to hearing your concerns, you should drop them an email!

11. The Transformed Man

The Transformed Man Commander Red Shirt

I assume you were at the Ahwatukee 24... yes, I HATE AMC theaters, wish it could have been at a Harkins. Very disappointed with the presentation... waaaay too dark and they needed to crank up the sound, but I blame that on AMC... not CBS/Paramount.

Yancy

12. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

OK I've read several posts on here, that state: "laughter at the expected places", and laughter when Spock yells "the women!". OK why did people laugh at that? I don't get it! He's simply stating the obvious fact that only the two women were taken, and not the 4 men of the landing party.

RAMA

13. Electric Coleslaw

Electric Coleslaw Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

For me it's a combination of knowing the sexist attitudes of the 1960's and the fact that it's our supposedly non-emotion Spock getting upset because they took the babes!

14. Kelso

Kelso Vice Admiral Admiral

On the destruct button until the last minute!
    I had a ball. The theater was packed, everyone behaved themselves and even my wife enjoyed the experiance.

The crowd did get a bit rowdy during Vina's slave dance... but that is to be expected. :D

15. 22 Stars

I agree, how can anyone not react to that line? It's such a short, overy emoted (esp. for our non-emotional Mr. Spock)declaration/exclamation, and it does seem a bit dated and sexist in some wierd way.... Why would he yell, and why wouldn't he yell, Commander since the first officer and acting captain just got snatched?

16. Matt

Matt Commodore Commodore

You know something, I've watched The Cage and The Menagerie dozens upon dozens of times, and I've noticed the bandage on the one guy's neck, and never thought anything of it, but on the big screen I saw the bandage on Tyler's hand, and I noticed Spock limping.

This must be from the battle on Rigel?

Really cool, considering most TOS episodes don't have reference to any other episode.

17. The Doctor

The Doctor Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm going tomorrow, really looking forward to it!

18. Blake

Blake Commodore Commodore

Saw it in Birmingham uk.The screen was small but it was 2 thirds full The sound was mono and the pixels were there.But it still looked great.I saw Dracula 1958 a few weeks ago and it cost £2.50 Trek cost £10.00.The new effects and the trailer for the boxed sets looked mostly good,there was one shot of the Enterprise which we see from the side and the ship looked silver like a pc game Enterprise,they showed us this angle 3 or 4 times.But there was a matt painting style view of the starbase at night time which was stunning on the big screen.new fx Trek looks interesting some good effects and some average ones.
    Fortunately i haven't seen "The Cage" and "The Menagerie" for a few years.
    When i was watching the cage scenes it was annoying when they returning to the briefing room it interupted the flow of the cage.I've always loved The Menagerie particulary the ending when we see a healthy looking Pike on Talos 4.But this time i felt the ending was poor compared to the cage.Pike would go back to Talos 4 knowing that he would still be an invalid and living in a lifelong dreamworld,And the evil Talosians would still be feeding off him.This time the Talosians would get a human willing to be a slave feeding them every emotion going.Surely Captain Pike of the Cage wouldn't want to go back.No wonder the talosians went to so much trouble to get him back,when they were talking to kirk i imagined them snickering, :) they were very pleased to get him back.

19. propita

propita Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Saw it in Fresno, CA. Hubby asked, "Well, you're the fan. Do you want to go or not?"

Same laughter others reported:

- The print-out
    - "The Women!"
    - The shuttlecraft floating along in space (though it looked cool itself)
    - Pike eyeing Vina as the green slave girl--really intensely
    - Kirk eyeing Vina as the green slave girl--really intensely even though she was just on the monitor
    - Kirk and the yeoman in Mendez' office.

So I have a few questions:

- Just when did Mendez become not-Mendez? The Talosians said "in the shuttlecraft." That means they were projecting DAYS away from Talos!
    - Why does Mendez' yeoman always look so...confused? Air-headed? Something's just not right with that girl.
    - Why was Kirk in such "improved HD" but neither the yeoman nor Vina were? Can we say "soft focus"?
    - How did Spock communicate with the Talosians to set this all up in the first place?

Overall, very enjoyable. Audience was mostly over 30yo to 60s. Image was good--clear and bright. And I loved the new CGI shot through the dome of the bridge. It looked great, as did the rest.

20. Matt

Matt Commodore Commodore

Yeah when the Yeoman was like, "She described you." And he's all worried, "She described me?!??" Everyone erupted in laughter.