Medicine in the 24th century

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by LadyMondegreen, Feb 10, 2021.

1. DaystromDropout

DaystromDropout Lieutenant Commander Newbie

Is "what is brain" a quote from one of the shows? I recall Bones saying in an episode that the brain was still hard to figure out.

2. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's from TOS yes.

3. Gingerbread Demon

Gingerbread Demon I love Star Trek Discovery Premium Member

The best line in all of Star Trek

4. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

The 24th-century science should be much more advanced, and yes we already have things now that are superior to some of those they used, but they always had to deal with tech that seemed too 'magical": for example, if they had shown the full potential of nanotech in "Evolution", it would have changed the face of the entire show! So it's ultimately a balance.

RAMA

5. Oddish

Oddish Admiral Admiral

Really yucky.

One of the things Rick Berman did right was push for the casting of Patrick Stewart as Picard. Not saying that absolves all his mistakes, but proves he wasn't wrong all the time.

Regarding medicine... why did Beverly Crusher (or anyone) ever have to do an autopsy on anyone (an issue in "Man of the People" and "Suspicions"? Given that transporters can completely molecularize a person, can't she just do a molecular scan which would leave no trace whatsoever and tell her far more than physically gutting the corpse?

6. NCC-73515

NCC-73515 Vice Admiral Admiral

For the same reason they still do surgery instead of beaming stuff in and out ;)

7. Gingerbread Demon

And why is that, you'd think by the 24th Century surgery would be a literal thing of the past. So much super science on show and they still have to cut people up.

8. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

At least they stay consistent about it: in "The Passenger", Bashir points out that sensor tech doesn't work all that well on the dead. And then fumbles big time with sensor tech on a character presumed dead, both proving his point and establishing that people of the future are still people, with failings and blind spots.

It could be autopsies are a "First make sure the patient really is dead" thing, the only way to be sure. If you cut open a patient and he springs back to life, 24th century medicine can easily uncut him...

Timo Saloniemi

9. Gingerbread Demon

But that's terrible..

10. Oddish

Oddish Admiral Admiral

Similar things have happened. I heard a story about a jockey who sustained a head injury and was pronounced dead at the scene. He revived in the morgue, fortunately before the autopsy could begin, and his freaking out fortunately attracted hospital personnel.

11. Captain Zog

Captain Zog Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Second best. After Kirk iconic "What does God need with a starship?"

12. Gingerbread Demon

Obviously God needs to get around. Hey they had spaceships in the book of Ezekiel