Matt Smith regenerates into Ncuti Gatwa

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Rich Watson, Nov 23, 2023.

1. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

I didn't mean the BBC, I meant Coburn. I'm sorry I wasn't clear on that point. That's what I get for a rush post.

Allyn Gibson likes this.
  2. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

I doubt they'd update the scene for every new Doctor, but rather every decade when we celebrate the new decade's anniversary of Doctor Who, they'll update it to include whoever the incumbent Doctor at the time is.

Jedman67, The Nth Doctor and JRob94 like this.
  3. Rich Watson

Rich Watson Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

When the news first appeared a while back "The Beginning" box-set that is still available (for now) shot into the Amazon, HMV and overall DVD best selling charts; which must have confused a lot of now-DW fans.

4. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, don't make a bad situation worse. :)

I do wonder if the British government could seize Coburn's copyright under Eminent Domain (or, in the UK, Compulsory Purchase), especially if he attempted to transfer the copyright the Russian Federation. Write your MP! :)

The Nth Doctor likes this.
  5. Emperor-Tiberius

Emperor-Tiberius Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

What?!

6. Rich Watson

Don't you mean "What! What!! WHAT!!!"

Seriously, the guy's a repulsive human being and the type that falls for every conspiracy theory going (Three guesses what his views on COVID are.)

7. Haggis and tatties

Haggis and tatties Vice Admiral Admiral

Or the BBC just pay him, as they waste millions a year on sports commentators, so i am sure they can well afford what he is asking.

8. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

Bookmakers have just shortened the odds of him succeeding Rishi Sunak as next leader of the Conservative Party

Australis and werdegast like this.
  9. Rich Watson

They tried to. His response was that he didn't want their money, he wanted them to suffer.

BTW every non-BBC employed writer or their descendants got paid to have their stories put on iPlayer.

Macintosh and Jedman67 like this.
  10. UssGlenn

UssGlenn Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

by my math this is only an issue until 2047, does that sound right?

11. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

Not only do I have An Unearthly Child as part of the Doctor Who: The Beginnings DVD set (which has An Unearthly Child, The Daleks and The edge of Destruction), but I bought An Adventure in Time and Space on Blu Ray a few weeks ago, and it came with An Unearthly Child on DVD as a bonus (and of course the main feature still has the original Matt Smith cameo), so I'm hopefully fairly well off when it comes to having An Unearthly Child on physical media, and the original unedited version of An Adventure in Time and Space.

British copyright really is screwed, though. The son of someone who wrote a script 60 years ago shouldn't be allowed to ban the airing of the product made from the script, that's just asinine.

12. Allyn Gibson

It's a Wonderful Life is in the public domain in the United States. But you can't just show it, because the person who wrote the short story (well, technically, the heirs) the film is based upon, which almost no one has ever read, has a copyright claim on the story itself.

13. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

Well at least in that case the short story existed before the film. This Doctor Who stuff is more like if someone related to Samuel A. Peeples could ban any airing/release of TOS's "Where No Man Has Gone Before" on a whim, just because the guy wrote the script.

14. Rich Watson

On a separate note I'd say I was surprised by the number of alleged fans complaining about Smith being replaced in the scene being "woke garbage" (or a lot worse) but at this point I'm too old and cynical.

15. Rich Watson

The ironic part is that Coburn was employed by the BBC originally but in a cost-saving move lost his job and was rehired as a freelancer before the scripts were written. If that hadn't happened they'd own them outright.

16. UssGlenn

UssGlenn Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

not to the heirs. due to a 1990 Supreme Court decision Republic Pictures was able to use their ownership of the original story and music rights to ask for royalties, and entered into an exclusive agreement with NBC. Between 1974 and 1993 it was truely free to air.

17. Allyn Gibson

I knew the copyright claim went through the story, but I thought it was the writer's heirs making a claim, not a successor entity the studio. It's all confusing. :)