Matt Smith regenerates into Ncuti Gatwa

Dumb? The BBC is taking Stef Coburn's copyright claims on the writing seriously.

It does raise the issue of why it wasn't a problem in 2013. Or, Coburn wasn't aware of it in 2013, now he is, and the infringement of his copyright in 2013 is part of his issue now.
I didn't mean the BBC, I meant Coburn. I'm sorry I wasn't clear on that point. That's what I get for a rush post.

Given that it is now on iPlayer (Whoniverse) probably for as long as the BBC continues to exist, theoretically that scene should get updated every time a new actor comes in.
I doubt they'd update the scene for every new Doctor, but rather every decade when we celebrate the new decade's anniversary of Doctor Who, they'll update it to include whoever the incumbent Doctor at the time is.

Guess it's a good thing I have most of the Classic Who seasons on DVD (including An Unearthly Child).

When the news first appeared a while back "The Beginning" box-set that is still available (for now) shot into the Amazon, HMV and overall DVD best selling charts; which must have confused a lot of now-DW fans.

I was reading the UK law around Fair Use and I'm no Lionel Hutz but I think they could have got away with keeping them in. They've probably been advised to be overly cautious in the hopes things might change one day.
Yeah, don't make a bad situation worse. :)

I do wonder if the British government could seize Coburn's copyright under Eminent Domain (or, in the UK, Compulsory Purchase), especially if he attempted to transfer the copyright the Russian Federation. Write your MP! :)

Yeah, don't make a bad situation worse. :)

I do wonder if the British government could seize Coburn's copyright under Eminent Domain (or, in the UK, Compulsory Purchase), especially if he attempted to transfer the copyright the Russian Federation. Write your MP! :)

Or the BBC just pay him, as they waste millions a year on sports commentators, so i am sure they can well afford what he is asking.

He's also a *takes a deep breath* racist, misogynist, homophobic, transphobic, holocaust denying Hitler apologist, Putin supporter with an utter burning hatred of the BBC who he claims killed his father.

He's blocked the story appearing on iPlayer and it will also disappear from every place it is currently available as those contracts expire.

Bookmakers have just shortened the odds of him succeeding Rishi Sunak as next leader of the Conservative Party

Wow.

Guess it's a good thing I have most of the Classic Who seasons on DVD (including An Unearthly Child).

Not only do I have An Unearthly Child as part of the Doctor Who: The Beginnings DVD set (which has An Unearthly Child, The Daleks and The edge of Destruction), but I bought An Adventure in Time and Space on Blu Ray a few weeks ago, and it came with An Unearthly Child on DVD as a bonus (and of course the main feature still has the original Matt Smith cameo), so I'm hopefully fairly well off when it comes to having An Unearthly Child on physical media, and the original unedited version of An Adventure in Time and Space.

British copyright really is screwed, though. The son of someone who wrote a script 60 years ago shouldn't be allowed to ban the airing of the product made from the script, that's just asinine.

British copyright really is screwed, though. The son of someone who wrote a script 60 years ago shouldn't be allowed to ban the airing of the product made from the script, that's just asinine.
It's a Wonderful Life is in the public domain in the United States. But you can't just show it, because the person who wrote the short story (well, technically, the heirs) the film is based upon, which almost no one has ever read, has a copyright claim on the story itself.

It's a Wonderful Life is in the public domain in the United States. But you can't just show it, because the person who wrote the short story (well, technically, the heirs) the film is based upon, which almost no one has ever read, has a copyright claim on the story itself.

Well at least in that case the short story existed before the film. This Doctor Who stuff is more like if someone related to Samuel A. Peeples could ban any airing/release of TOS's "Where No Man Has Gone Before" on a whim, just because the guy wrote the script.

On a separate note I'd say I was surprised by the number of alleged fans complaining about Smith being replaced in the scene being "woke garbage" (or a lot worse) but at this point I'm too old and cynical.

Well at least in that case the short story existed before the film. This Doctor Who stuff is more like if someone related to Samuel A. Peeples could ban any airing/release of TOS's "Where No Man Has Gone Before" on a whim, just because the guy wrote the script.

The ironic part is that Coburn was employed by the BBC originally but in a cost-saving move lost his job and was rehired as a freelancer before the scripts were written. If that hadn't happened they'd own them outright.

not to the heirs. due to a 1990 Supreme Court decision Republic Pictures was able to use their ownership of the original story and music rights to ask for royalties, and entered into an exclusive agreement with NBC. Between 1974 and 1993 it was truely free to air.

On a separate note I'd say I was surprised by the number of alleged fans complaining about Smith being replaced in the scene being "woke garbage" (or a lot worse) but at this point I'm too old and cynical.
I knew the copyright claim went through the story, but I thought it was the writer's heirs making a claim, not a successor entity the studio. It's all confusing. :)

Back