Matt Smith regenerates into Ncuti Gatwa

Rich Watson

Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain
In an "Adventure In Space and Time" that is. As some suspected Ncuti was a bit confused when he said he shot a scene with William Hartnell and was actually dropped in to replace Matt at the end of AAIT&S.

JoalEMl.png

I do remember there being speculation about the scene being shot in such a way the incumbent Doctor could always be the one Hartnell looks at in that scene.

So far, they've missed two incarnations. Three if you include Jo Martin (for whom I certainly do include.)

They should have CGI'd Matt Smith in for post-production. Then we'd be used to it, in the event that even the slightest issue with matching up lighting or camera distance became apparent.

Looking forward to the 70th anniversary version where Daniel Radcliffe looks at the 1st doctor ;)

Good luck with that. Maybe we'll have a new producer with new ideas at the helm as well.

Given that it is now on iPlayer (Whoniverse) probably for as long as the BBC continues to exist, theoretically that scene should get updated every time a new actor comes in. Now there would be the start of a collection. Any AI video experts out there planning to do it with every Doctor ever just to prove their editing skills to a potential employer?

And it just plain dumb to edit out An Unearthly Child references. How petty can you get?
Dumb? The BBC is taking Stef Coburn's copyright claims on the writing seriously.

It does raise the issue of why it wasn't a problem in 2013. Or, Coburn wasn't aware of it in 2013, now he is, and the infringement of his copyright in 2013 is part of his issue now.

It does raise the issue of why it wasn't a problem in 2013. Or, Coburn wasn't aware of it in 2013, now he is, and the infringement of his copyright in 2013 is part of his issue now.

I was reading the UK law around Fair Use and I'm no Lionel Hutz but I think they could have got away with keeping them in. They've probably been advised to be overly cautious in the hopes things might change one day.

Though if they'd made a parody of the series beginnings they'd have been fine.

Please explain to the guy overseas: who is Stef Coburn, and what did they do?

He's the son of the person who wrote "An Unearthly Child" and now owns the rights to the scripts, so the BBC need his permission to do anything with it.

He's also a *takes a deep breath* racist, misogynist, homophobic, transphobic, holocaust denying Hitler apologist, Putin supporter with an utter burning hatred of the BBC who he claims killed his father.

He's blocked the story appearing on iPlayer and it will also disappear from every place it is currently available as those contracts expire.

Last edited:
He's the son of the person who wrote "An Unearthly Child" and now owns the rights to the scripts, so the BBC need his permission to do anything with it.

He's also a *takes a deep breath* racist, misogynist, homophobic, transphobic, holocaust denying Hitler apologist, Putin supporter with an utter burning hatred of the BBC who he claims killed his father.

He's blocked the story appearing on iPlayer and it will also disappear from every place it is currently available as those contracts expire.
Wow.

Guess it's a good thing I have most of the Classic Who seasons on DVD (including An Unearthly Child).

When did he support Putin, exactly?

10:02 PM · Oct 21, 2023. Is that exact enough?

https://twitter.com/Stef_Coburn/status/1715911364152004901

"Exclusive interview with Russian President Vladimir Putin for Chinese TV (with English subtitles). The confidence; lucidity; complete lack of guile; & easy good humour on show, is utterly convincing."

Took weeks of research to find this, but... actually, a couple minutes using Twitter's search function.

Back