Mass Effect (Xbox 360), pertains to Star Trek

Discussion in 'Trek Gaming' started by ALF, Nov 2, 2008.

1. ALF

ALF Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'd read that once you've completed the game, if you re-start a new game you:
    1. Retain all your equipment
    2. Lose all your enhancements
    3. Can travel to and explore all plot worlds from the start

I just wondered if anyone could confirm this is true.

2. Herkimer Jitty

Herkimer Jitty Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You are correct. I did this as one of my Shepards and managed to get the level 60 achievement.

3. Technobuilder

Technobuilder Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Any clue what you'll get yet?

I'm kind of in the same boat and haven't brushed up on Computer Specs in 3 years.

What are you looking to spend price-wise?

In regards to the game, this is the other title I've thought about in deciding whether or not to purchase an XBOX 360. The other being Fable II.

If I can come up with a few more I may just go ahead and pick one up.

But the computer will probably take priority.

4. Jim Steele

Jim Steele Vice Admiral Admiral

Mass Effect is indeed an awesome experience. I thought it was more akin to Babylon 5 than Star Trek, although the exploration element is there (and is arguably the weakest part of the game).

I honestly rate Mass Effect up there with my favourite sci-fi shows. It's that good that it deserves to be considered an equal.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2008
  5. Herkimer Jitty

Yeah, uncharted worlds were a bit weak (Terrain could be frustrating on quite a few of em), but the galactic map was like... the coolest thing ever.

6. CaptainStoner

CaptainStoner Knuckle-dragging TNZ Denizen Admiral

Well, before car repairs tanked any computer aspirations, I was fairly set on a low-energy platform since I use my computer a lot.
    micro-atx Nvidia 8200 mobo AM2+
    one of the 40 watt 2.5ghz dual-cores (AM2, can't remember model)
    2 Gigs of 1066 RAM
    Nvidia 9-something series card supporting hybrid mode

This new Nvidia mobo chipset has the "hybrid" ability of running windows and web browsing on the onboard video, only engaging the video card for 3d apps. They also have a crossfire (or whatever Nvidia's name for it is) ability but that capability is a POS as you can't match it to a powerful second card, it has to be another budget-series.
    This config would save a couple hundred watts when the video card isn't on. The 2.5ghz processor overclocks very easily to 3.0 if desired, so you have a system that can go from an energy-sipping browser to a full-on gaming rig with the option of going to triple or quad core in the future.

Wouldn't need all that for Mass Effect (just need a dx10 video card), but the total cost for the PC upgrade wouldn't be any more than a decked out XBox360.

7. Deks

Deks Vice Admiral Admiral

Mass Effect was a great game in my opinion.

It's actually something that I would enjoy being made into Trek for example.
    Has virtually all of the elements you need.
    Bioware would be perfect for this because they would actually be able to make the single player really large for Trek universe and flesh out the story which would allow you to a full scope of it.

But ... I'd also put in the ability to fight other star-ships ala Bridge Commander/Legacy style.

:)

8. Phily B

Phily B Commodore Commodore

I loved ME, the story really reminded me of B5 more than anything though.

9. Luminus

Luminus Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Best RPG ever! Period. Stop talking. www.zipit.com.org.

Driving around on the planets looking for minerals and other objects does get irritating, but that's what keeps it interesting. Try driving around on the great flats and you'll understand why most of the terrain is so rocky.

I'm trying to play through a second time, this time as a Renegade, but being a renegade just feels wrong. Every RPG I play, I always choose the good side. Something about playing as the bad guy is unsatisfying.

Has anyone unlocked the Warlord mission? You have to help that shady chick in the bar on Novaria, don't you? Is there any way to get into that Hotel?

My Shepard is a woman and now I'm engaged in a lesbian love affair with that Asari chick. :lol:

Anyone become rich? I ended the game with well past $7 million.

Anyone notice that the Azura Nebula is in this game. The same Nebula is featured in the Star Trek: Destiny books.

10. misskim86

misskim86 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Mass Effect is the best rpg I ever played but I think it has much more of a Babylon 5 feeling over it, in fact it's impossible imo that the developers weren't inspired by B5.

If there's ever a new Trek show they should hire the writers from that gaming studio because the story was just amazing.

11. Luminus

Luminus Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

We need to write to them and cite this game as an example of how to do a Trek RPG.

12. SPCTRE

SPCTRE Badass Admiral

Several of my Shepards are permanently money-capped at 9999999 credits and 999 omni-gel with the whole crew in full Spectre X gear and Colossus armor.

I'm somewhat of a ME addict, I have to admit (more than a dozen full playthroughs, including all missions/assignments, 100% achievements including the DLC Bring Down The Sky, it's disturbing, really). Hence my nickname, obviously ;)

I tend to play as the good guy in most RPGs, too - but ME will reward you with some of the funniest dialogues - especially in "side quests". It's well worth a complete Renegade playthrough, believe me ;)

13. trekkerguy

trekkerguy Commodore Commodore

I'm still working on my first play through(Had to restart when I lost my save once) and looove this game. I can see the station resembling B5 but everything else has a very nuBSG/Trek vibe to it.

I can't wait for the next one as it's part of a trilogy.

The next Trek game(Outside STO) needs to be modeled after this game.

14. The Borg Queen

The Borg Queen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I only bought this game because it was marketed as an RPG.

I was very disappointed when I got it home and found out it was a first/second-person shooter game.

I hadn't been that disappointed since I bought FFVII: Dirge of Cerberus on the PS2.

:(

15. Herkimer Jitty

It IS an RPG if you don't play as the Soldier class.

Seriously, playing as a Tech or Biotic makes it whole different game.

16. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Mass Effect is one of my favorite games...um...ever. I absolutely love the setting. I found the Vanguard class to be the most fulfilling for my style of play. I like to run and gun, but it never hurts to have a little magic backing you up.

I hope ME2 doesn't take as long to come out as the first game did. I'm sure BioWare will just use the same engine, likely with minor improvements, so most of the work will probably be on the writing side of things. I wonder if a Holiday 2009/early 2010 release is plausible.

17. Bishbot

Bishbot Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Even as a soldier (and I also chose "shock trooper") the game isn't really about run and gun "twitch" shooting. Its still all stats, all the way. All you have to do is point your weapon, fire it, and try to avoid it overheating. If your character is great with that gun, you'll probably hit (assuming you can point and click with a mouse) and if your character sucks with that gun, you'll probably miss or do minimal damage. Its definitely more action-orientated than your average RPG, but the system works well, and its definitely not a shoot-em-up.

18. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

^ Agreed. It's still very much an RPG. And my Vanguard Shepard was pretty damn deadly with both his shotgun and his biotics by game's end. :D

19. Jim Steele

Jim Steele Vice Admiral Admiral

It is an RPG. Your character build dictates your effectiveness in combat, your dialogue/quest options, what kind of equipment you can use and how well you use it, etc. It is certainly an RPG by any definition. Your choices have a noticable impact on the narrative and the setting, and this is bound to be expanded on in the sequel.

There is no basis whatsoever for decrying it as a "first/second person shooter" (presumably you mean "third person shooter" as no portion of the game is played in first person, and I've never heard of a second person shooter).

Did you play it for very long before coming to this conclusion?

Last edited: Dec 10, 2008
  20. SPCTRE

SPCTRE Badass Admiral

Indeed.

The beauty in Mass Effect is the customizability of your gameplay experience.

Mindless run-and-gun? Turn on auto leveling and increase auto aiming factor. Tactical squad-based shooter? Increase difficulty setting and turn off auto aiming. RPG heavy? Turn off auto leveling and obsess over talent points and character development.

With so many difficulty settings as well as aiming, (squad) ability usage and even leveling help settings to chose from, ME can be pretty much everything you want it to be. And anything in between.