Contest: VOTE March/April 2017 Contest

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Klaus, May 2, 2017.

?

Which tribute is your favorite?

Poll closed May 6, 2017.
  1. Aridas Sofia

7 vote(s)
    31.8%
  2. B.J.

2 vote(s)
    9.1%
  3. Borgman

2 vote(s)
    9.1%
  4. Finn

4 vote(s)
    18.2%
  5. Klaus

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Lord Other

3 vote(s)
    13.6%
  7. Soran77

4 vote(s)
    18.2%
  1. Klaus

Klaus Vice Admiral Admiral

OK folks, sorry for the delay but here we go... our choices:
    [entry is first if there are 2, inspiration is below]

Aridas Sofia
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

B.J.
    [​IMG]

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Borgman
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Finn
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Klaus
    [​IMG]

Lord Other
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Soran77

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

...and off we go!
    [​IMG]

2. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

3. Q2UnME

Q2UnME Commodore Commodore

Voted!

Bye-the-bye .... Some really great entries. Everyone who participated should be proud of their work!

Q2

4. Finn

Finn Admiral Admiral

Voted

5. B.J.

B.J. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Tough choice, many great entries!

6. Cyfa

Cyfa Captain Captain

These are all bloody brilliant! But I must say, the fact that Lord Other managed to make that hideous monstrosity look... well, a lot less hideous (and that it might actually be a functioning starship) surely deserves some credit ;)
    I didn't necessesarily vote for his Lordship's redesign, though...

7. Four Mad Men

Four Mad Men Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I like what Soran did with the junction between neck and nacelle.

Soran77 likes this.
  8. Morpheus 02

Morpheus 02 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I am confused on Aridas Sofia -- which one is the original, and what is it supposed to be based on?

9. aridas sofia

aridas sofia Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The yellow one is Matt Jefferies' original from the AMT model box. My reworking of his "Flash Gordon-y" design as a Klingon ship is above it, in the Technical Manual layout.

Commodore_Sarvour likes this.
  10. Morpheus 02

Morpheus 02 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Thanks for the clarification! I used to checkout the Franz Joseph manual all the time from the library, and it fits RIGHT IN with the manual style, so I wasn't sure if the pictures had been flipped. Thanks!

11. Finn

Finn Admiral Admiral

Lord Other likes this.
  12. Lord Other

Lord Other Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Congratulations Aridas, Finn, and Soran77- it was a good contest. Thank you for letting me participate. And thank you to Cyfa- I appreciate the support and kind comments about my work. I'll be starting a thread on Sunday with more views of the Baton Rouge you are all welcome to peruse and comment on. :)

Last edited: May 6, 2017
    Commodore_Sarvour and Cyfa like this.
  13. aridas sofia

I'm humbled. Thanks to everyone that enjoyed my entry and thanks to all the participants for making it such an interesting and competitive contest. I personally loved Lord Other's entry and will follow along with his attempts to further flesh it out.

For those of you that enjoyed my entry, it had two purposes. One was for this contest. Another was as part of my ongoing celebration of TOS-50 by drawing up Tech Manual pages for the unseen ships from those episodes and releasing them as the 50th anniversary of each episode rolls around. I've done thirty so far, and all are available for viewing on my FRS forum.

Which leads me to my idea for a contest, if you guys want to do one even though we are moderator-less. To round out the 50th anniversary, reimagine anything filmed or TV Trek that is not TOS, as if it had happened in TOS. Unlike Star Wars, where Ralph McQuarrie is God and staying true to his design vision is the almighty standard, the work of Matt Jefferies and William Theiss has been more of an "inspiration". There are 75 years between TOS and TNG. Look at the US Navy's ships and uniforms now and 75 years ago and see how little has changed. Go with that idea and make like all Trek are chapters in one big visual story.

Kaiser, Lord Other and Cyfa like this.
  14. Finn

Finn Admiral Admiral

^wow.. yes, Ptrope isn't around much but it doesn't seem to concern T'Bonz much.

You are supposed to start a new thread. And I'm not clear on your idea. Are you asking us to do uniform design for between TOS movies and TNG?

Please make a simple topic. Poor Ptrope was confused the last time...

15. aridas sofia

I think the first decision that everyone needs to make is whether there even will be another contest. Then I'll be happy to start a new thread. Simply put, my idea is to choose anything from any Star Trek movie or series after the original and redesign it as if it had happened in the original series.

16. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

It was an outstanding entry. You really have the faux Tech Manual page down pat. And the concept for the entry was truly inspired and its realization well executed. Congratulations!

aridas sofia likes this.
  17. Finn

Finn Admiral Admiral

Why stop? This wasn't the first time we skipped a month.

18. Cyfa

Cyfa Captain Captain

Well done, Aridas sofia!

Lord Other likes this.
  19. Lord Other

Lord Other Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Credit given where credit is due good sir. :) And thank you Aridas- coming from you that's high praise, and it's sincerely appreciated. I look forward to seeing what you have to say about my take on the Baton Rouge in the upcoming thread.

I like your updates to the technical manual, keeping the look but updating the content and the lines- it looks very smart and fresh. Is the FRS forum open for people to register?

Oh game on, game on good sir, challenge accepted! ;)

Here here! LOL.

Last edited: May 7, 2017
    aridas sofia likes this.
  20. Klaus

Klaus Vice Admiral Admiral

Sure, let's do another... our organization is a bit lacking occasionally but we still get a good number of great entries!

...I'll even volunteer to handle the polls if the Grand Poohbah is too busy.