Contest: ENTER March 2017 Challenge - B.J.'s entry

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by B.J., Mar 21, 2017.

1. B.J.

B.J. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Initially I wanted to do something with the Spaceflight Chronology's hammerhead Marshall Class, but I couldn't come up with anything decent. So instead, I moved on to doing something with the Mann Class, also from the SFC.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

I don't usually work in 3D since the workflow in most meshing programs is completely different than my experience with solid modeling. But this was simple enough to where I could model it quickly in NX, and I plan on just exporting out a view and drawing the finishing touches and colors over that.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

LordSarvain likes this.
  2. BorgMan

BorgMan Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Oooh yeah I'm liking this! The bussard is tucked away nice and clean :-D

3. Finn

Finn Admiral Admiral

Nice

4. Cyfa

Cyfa Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I like your take on the weird Mann, especially the bridge superstructure.

5. sojourner

sojourner Admiral Admiral

This is a great take on the Mann Class.

As an aside, I've owned a copy of the SpaceFlight Chronology for over thirty years now. While I love the book and think it's great, am I the only one that thinks most of the designs in it don't look like Trek? Except for one or two like the Mann and the Baton Rouge the rest all look more like something from Star Wars.

6. B.J.

^ I'd agree with you, really only a few salvageable designs in there. Of course, this was published at a time when the only on-screen Starfleet design was the Constitution class (and refit), so not much to work with.

7. publiusr

publiusr Vice Admiral Admiral

Thanks for doing these. I'd like to see your take on the Canopus class--or the Flying Fortress. Maybe the hyperwarp ships at the end.

8. B.J.

9. Cyfa

Cyfa Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

This turned out really well! With the TOS styling, it now looks like a bonafide part of the Star Trek universe.

- If that's what you did, I like it! With that style looks like it could be a still/frame from an animated feature - something from Titan A.E. for example (I love that film!).

Last edited: Mar 27, 2017
  10. The Lensman

The Lensman Commodore Commodore

Same here! I've had mine since it came out. Unfortunately, in 7th or 8th grade I lent mine to a guy who creased the shit out of it on, I believe, the ringship Enterprise entry. Of course he swore he didn't do that, and of course the book split in two with possibly a page or so missing.

I always loved that future history, and it's still pretty much my "head canon" for the pre-Classic Trek history. But yeah, even back then, most of those ships, with the exceptions being the ones you mentioned, didn't really look like Trek ships. They did look fucking cool, and I love the art work in that book. I need to see if I can find it (both parts) and read it again. Shame I've never stumbled across a good copy.

To their credit, at least they weren't just kitbashing the Connie like the tech manual. Still....would've liked some of the designs, and color schemes to be a little more consistent.

Excellent job on this ship B.J. Inspired and well executed take on it! That it comes from one of my favorite books as a kid, doesn't hurt either. ;)

11. Sibyl

Sibyl Caffeine Pill Popper Premium Member

This looks fantastic!

My only beef is the resistors at the end of the nacelles, though I do like what you did with the bussards.

You can still find them pretty cheap on eBay and Amazon. They appreciated during the '80s and '90s but fell again in the 2000s.

12. Klaus

Klaus Vice Admiral Admiral

very nicely done...