Making myself feel old through popular media

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Argus Skyhawk, Oct 19, 2011.

1. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Yeah, I think I recall that about Friends too. Though it's possible they had the phones we just never got to see them use them or being 30-something they were just late to latch on or, more likely, the show-creators just ignored cell-phones all together for plot reasons.

Ditto. That's just makes one feel depressingly old because usually I associate NaN with I Love Lucy and Leave it to Beaver. Not Friends. :(

2. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lately I associate N@N with endless marathons of shows that weren't that good the first time around: the Nanny, George Lopez, My Wife and Kids, Family Matters.

3. Mistral

Mistral Vice Admiral Admiral

Seinfeld started while I was working my first career. and had been for years. On my second, now.
    :vulcan:

4. Random_Spock

Random_Spock Vice Admiral Admiral

Hey I liked Family Matters when it was originally on :lol:. It jumped the shark at times, but it's still better than a lot of the reality tv that's on now.

Same with The Nanny.

But I will say that a lot of the older shows that used to be on Nick at Nite were better.

5. The Dominion

The Dominion Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I remember when the Sci-Fi network was still Sci-Fi and played classic shows late at night.

6. the G-man

I'm guessing you're a lot younger than me. My kids would watch Family Matters. THEY liked it.

There was only one reason for me to watch more than thirty seconds of the Nanny and that was Fran in those short skirts. :drool:

Then she'd open her mouth and it was time to change the channel.

7. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

You can still find those old FTL Newsfeed shorts on YouTube, just sayin'. ;)

8. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

The sharks from Family Matters, played leapfrog..

9. Random_Spock

Random_Spock Vice Admiral Admiral

:lol: Yep. And time does fly, I still remember when it aired on ABC.

:lol: I see. I didn't mind the show that much. The View on the other hand :scream:. It's just an argument fest on that show :lol:. Can't stand it.

10. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

Me too. I was sitting at my cousins' house on Thanksgiving flipping through his satellite dish and was surprised when I found the Sci-Fi channel (or SyFY now) was showing the last two James Bond movies. The rest of their lineup had nothing to do with Sci-Fi either. The closest I got to science fiction was a TNG marathon on BBC America.

11. Argus Skyhawk

Argus Skyhawk Commodore Commodore

I just learned a scary tidbit. Ralph Macchio is now 51 years old, which means he is the same age Pat Morita was when they shot The Karate Kid.

12. Guy Gardener

He could pass for 31.

He was playing a love interest for Fran Dresher on Happily Divorced last year.

13. the G-man

Fran Drescher is approximately 55 so Macchio playing her boyfriend is more indicative of his actual age than not.

14. Holdfast

Holdfast Fleet Admiral Admiral

Ralph Macchio was in his 20s when they made The Karate Kid?! Wow. Did not know that.

15. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Hah, you kids. I saw 2001 and Planet of the Apes in the theaters . . . and Star Trek during its original run on NBC. (But my parents wouldn't let me see Rosemary's Baby or The Exorcist because they were too adult.)

I was well past my college years when Back to the Future came out.

What weirds me out is when I hear something that I still think of a "modern" movie, like, say, Back to the Future, spoken of as though it's some venerable classic . . . which I guess it is these days!:)

Last edited: Mar 2, 2013
  16. inflatabledalek

inflatabledalek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

In a similar vein to the aforementioned Transformers movie, we've now passed all the years in which the "Future" UK comic stories that tied into/followed on from the film were set (with the exception of the odd centuries into the future flashforward).

17. jayceee

jayceee Commander Red Shirt

A few years ago, I found myself feeling excited about picking up dvd season sets of old tv shows from the 1970's and 1980's.

Watching these tv shows again (now as a middle aged adult), I eventually came to the realization how awful a lot of this stuff was. If such tv shows were from another era, I probably wouldn't have paid much attention to them in the first place

Last edited: Mar 3, 2013
  18. Guy Gardener

I found an atari 2600 emulator.

The games are 5k and they wouldn't keep a modern 3 year old entertained.

19. jayceee

jayceee Commander Red Shirt

Here's something really sad and pathetic.

Last night I found myself feeling excited about watching "Saturday Night Fever".

When I was a teenager, I always wanted to be "Tony Manero". :censored:

20. scotpens

scotpens Professional Geek Premium Member

What makes me feel my age is when commenters on YouTube express amazement at some of the special effects in movies made before the advent of CGI. "And to think they did all that without computers!"